Health Cost When traveling the eu

Do France cover the Health Cost if get sick in let say Spain if I’m on holiday?

If you have applied for your CEAM card you will get the same cover as any other Spanish resident. You can request one online from your Ameli account, it take a couple of weeks to arrive.

Just a thought - my OH receives a UK State Pension and therefore has a EHIC card issued by the UK. After 31/12/20 will his EHIC card still be valid and, if not, will he be able to obtain one from somewhere else?

That will depend on what the final long term agreement is. At the moment all the government websites say it “may” not be valid after 31/12/2020 and recommend you take out travel insurance.

I’m not not British

Do you live here Joyce? If so you can’t use the EHIC as a resident. They won’t be valid after 31/12 as far as I know.

Pensioners with S1’s have UK EHICs, not French CEAMs, for use in other Eu countries up to the end of the year. After that…

Oh OK - I didn’t realise that! Sorry I have so many people thinking that thier EHICs is good for health cover once moved here!

When my wife and I received our S1 forms, as requested by the NHS, we returned our EHIC cards.
The NHS issued us with new “European” EHIC cards valid for 5 years.

According to the sources linked to below, our new cards are valid for health cover outside of the UK and France after 31/12/2020.

Well the Government site still says “may” not be valid after 31/12.

So apart from people who have exercised their WA rights then they are unlikely to be of great use.

Are you working here Martin or on an S1 (E121)? If the latter your “competent country” that is who ever provides the S1 should provide the EHIC, otherwise it’s France.

1 Like

I hope that’s true Nigel but if I was you I’d check nearer the date.

Just in:

1 Like

That’s big news Nigel, thanks for posting. Probably needs a topic all of its own.
Izzy x

1 Like

“If you live in France or move there before the end of 2020, your rights to access healthcare in France will stay the same for as long as you remain resident.”

That’s good news.

It is the same as previously issued except for this important sentence:

Healthcare if you’re using an S1 form in France and ‘Healthcare if you’re studying in France’. Students and people with a registered S1 in France can now apply for a new UK European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) that will remain valid from 1 January 2021.

The withdrawal agreement already said that our healthcare rights would remain the same as long as we stayed here.