Health cover - my head hurts

(Phil Bennett) #41

Thank you Helen. I actually feel a lot happier now. I hope things work out for you also.

(Katherine Davies) #42

Stella, anytime you need help with that difficult “American” you’re welcome to call on me, as I’m a native speaker.

(stella wood) #43

@Katherine_Davies

Hi Katherine… the difficulty (if any) with American… is that many words are exactly the same as English…but do not mean exactly the same…(thanks for the offer though)…and then they use words which mean nothing like…

come to think of it… French language … is like that too… :grin:

I plan to visit my friend and explain the basics… while we both inspect the car together… It’s so much easier to explain visually…how things work… and what to do…phew… then I’ll probably do him what I call “A fool’s guide.” for the basics (maintenance etc)… That will keep him happy… and let me off the hook. :joy:

(Katherine Davies) #44

Best of luck with it!

(Suzanne Kelly) #45

My husband and I are in a similar situation. It appears we apply and prove we have sufficient income and they will accept us. We are just filling the last bit of paperwork in now and have a “temporary number” already. Fingers crossed :grin:

(Norah Baxter) #46

Joining this conversation late - sorry. I was retired when we came to France but my husband was a (very) early retiree. I got a carte vitale entitling me to join the French health system and he was also accepted as my dependent. Some people told us that he should not have been accepted but he was and that was it - and it worked fine for us. However, could what is happening now be because the UK is leaving the EU and, of course, very soon UK passports holders will no longer be entitled to the same rights as EU citizens? France could just be getting ready for the exit.

(Norman Clark) #47

Although evidently the EU rules as they stand will change, but I will be very surprised if there is not some compromise offered to current residents - although possibly not to new ones.

This is not evidence based as the UK still has not laid out what they want - other than ‘everything without contributing’, but unlike the virulence directed against Europe generally and often France particularly by the majority of the UK Press, I don’t see the reverse here in France at all.

French bureaucracy is a pain, no-one can deny that, but I honestly don’t think it is vindictive.
My overall guess will be that the British will probably get a ‘no deal’ which they seem to be working for, and then they can blame the recalcitrant EU for the net result.

From that point France and Spain (the main expat residents countries) will almost certainly offer ‘deals’ either governmentally or commercially for health cover. The insurance business is not stupid, they will not walk away from servicing a potential market of what - three million expats?

The Carte Vitale will almost certainly remain available to residents for some basic level of coverage, and top-ups from Mutelles for other stuff - not so very different from today in reality. Why should it be otherwise? The French don’t hate the British, least of all those who live here.