Healthcare costs for new residents after 31st December

I’m looking for some advice on healthcare costs after 31st December. My eldest daughter will be resident in Chamonix by November, she will be working and should be ok to register for healthcare.

My question is, we all have EU passports (Irish) but NI paid in UK as that’s where we have worked. With EU passports will we be able to register for French healthcare? My youngest daughter will be able to work and start paying into the French system. Her twin brother is disabled, it’s unlikely he will. My husband and I would like to work as self employed. What are our options and how expensive is private healthcare?

Many thanks :blush:

If your eldest daughter is working for a French company then she will be able to join the french healthcare system straight away, and her employer should provide the necessary.

For the rest of you it will be the standard European process for people who are not working. So you should have private healthcare for the three months to establish residency, and then fill in form to apply

https://www.ameli.fr/sites/default/files/formulaires/168/s1106_-demande_puma-_assurance_maladie.pdf

Unfortunately after 31/12 there is no S1 system for healthcare if you are of that age. However once registered the french state will cover the bulk of your healthcare costs for which you will have to pay approx 8% of your income above 10,000€. And then it is your choice whether you take out top up insurance cover (a mutuelle) for the rest which can cost between 50 and 200€ a month.

And if neither you nor your other children are working you will need to show you have sufficient resources to live here legally, there is a minimum threshold (which won’t go far in Chamonix!).

https://www.service-public.fr/particuliers/vosdroits/F2651

As Europeans you don’t have to apply for a resident card, but if you think you might want to stay here then it is best to make sure you are legally resident. And I think now you have to provide this information for healthcare too.

Thanks Jane, very helpful. I think I’ve managed to interpret it correctly.

We won’t be living in Chamonix (just the eldest for now) that’s for sure as much as I love the place.

Can I ask, after 31st December, one of my twins will definitely be able to work. If my husband and I both worked for the business he starts up (we won’t be retirement age) will this cover us after 3 months to sign up and not have to wait five years or show minimum incomes? Is it all about working and continuations? Also, are you aware of the rules around disabled people? My son will be 18.

It’s good we have EU passports but not so good are social security contributions have been made in the UK.

Thank you.

If you are moving to France with Irish passports to work why do you think that the 31st of December will be of any relevance? You will be taking advantage of your right to freedom of movement and when you set up and register a viable business you will be able to enter the French health system.

That’s what I wanted to double check and confirm David. If that is definitely how it works, either set up a viable business or become a French employee for the ability to register after 3 months. We do intend to work and pay in. We don’t want to have to pay private healthcare insurance and wait 5 years, although happy to pay the top up gap. I’m not sure what the rules are regarding a disabled person though who most likely won’t be able to work.

Many thanks

If you work I’m sure that your healthcare starts immediately. The three month wait is only for inactifs.

Thank you. If anyone has any information regarding disabled young adults, that would be really helpful.

Many thanks.

There MAY be a reciprocal deal on S1 if the other countries agree in the negotiations - they will not want their citizens living in the UK to lose out on healthcare any more than the UK government want their citizens living in the EU to suffer a loss of healthcare support.

1 Like

This is the legislation for getting the allocation aux adultes handicapés which sets out rules for all sorts of things regarding people who are handicapped.

As you are Irish passport-holders you just do all your admin in that light.

This is a page with all sorts of links as well.

I don’t understand your logic. Healthcare in the UK is based on residency. Any resident has access to the NHS. In France PUMA provides healthcare for all residents. Where does the suggestion that there would be no healthcare provision if the S1 facility is withdrawn come from?

Thanks very much Véronique.

1 Like
1 Like

Well I’m no expert David but… after retirement it’s all down to your competent state. Which I believe is the state in which one has paid the most social security contributions. That State issues the S1 and that’s the State that picks up the tab for your French healthcare. I suspect no more UK S1s will cause some problems.

Read what PUMA has to say about it.

What a mess.

I think using the words “competent” and “state” in the same sentence when referring to the vassal independent idiocy of the UK is somewhat misjudged :wink:

1 Like

David, I was replying to Janes statement about S1 not continuing after the 31/12
I fully understand the entitlement of health care via PUMA for UK citizens living in France.
There is a lot of FUD on here in regards to what rights people will have or not have after the 31/12

My responses have been with regard to his post as well. He was implying that the S1 will probably be retained to allow people to access healthcare after Brexit. I’m just pointing out that in fact, even without the S1 provision is still there.

As I said, and others have emphasised, with Irish passports you all remain europeans so really don’t worry about bloody brexit.

So if you have an employer or are properly self employed and paying cotisations you can join the health service straight away. It is only if you are an inactif (or for example just have a gîte you run as a LMNP) that you must wait three months. It used to be that you could set up any old auto-entrepreneur business that earns tuppence and be allowed in, but I believe the authorities have tightened up on this and it must be a proper business.

I think you might be mixing up joining the french health system and getting permanent resident cards! France wants people to be in the health system and contributing, so just the short delay for inactifs to be sure you are residents. The 5 years business is to become a permanent residence.

I have no experience of disability issues here. Vero knows much, much more. But what I do know is that France is rather behind the UK in how it treats disability, and particularly mental disabilities. Depending on what support your son needs this could be more difficult than in UK. And get used to him being called “handicapé” which still makes me twitch a bit.

1 Like

The French tell it like it is - no unnecessary weasel words or false expressions of sympathy :wink: