Heat debility

Our water here in the Dordogne is really hard so we invested in a Brita water filter…it massively encourages us to drink loads of water - it tastes amazing. We’ve been boiling here the last few weeks but it has really made a difference.

1 Like

I had sun stroke many years ago, youthful ignorance :hot_face: an experience not to be repeated.
Tory the Australian’s have been far more advanced with sun safety, something that needs to be addressed this side of the world.
I have no trouble drinking water, but can be difficult in the winter :potable_water:

2 Likes

I added multi-layer insulation to our attic ceiling just before last winter. It has made the attic warmer in winter, but its still boiling hot now. I’ll probably add velux windows so that the heat can escape up and out.

We have shutters which we close all day and only open at 10pm. Unfortunately with one exception, we do not have double glazing. Most of our friends have stone houses with double glazing and their houses are notably cooler than ours, so I think it’s that which is making the difference.

Fortunately our cellar is cool (around 19c), so I’m seriously think of putting a bed down there.

1 Like

Double glazing really does make a difference… winter and summer.

It’s one expense which is well worth paying… and I think (not sure) that there is some help available towards the cost…

https://www.laprimeenergie.fr/les-travaux/fenetres-double-vitrage/aides-et-subventions

this is just one example… might be worth checking further afield… but this gives the idea…

1 Like

Stella,
thanks for the link: I will investigate.

Perhaps a lifestyle change of rising real early in the morning coupled with an afternoon siesta is what is needed.
It’s 5am at the time of writing, 18 deg C outside, and the cool air through the window brings with it the aroma of the Brioche that the baker next door has just taken out of the oven. Just heavenly.
The shop opens at 7.30am and I think I know what is going to be for breakfast today. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

We did the same, excellent water, less plastic bottles and it is superb for making tea.

Our original small bungalow is very hot, but suits my cold bloodied wife very well, though I note that she has discarded her heavy jumper in the last couple of days. :astonished:

The extension we built 20 years ago, which doubled the original size, is a different kettle of fish. We didn’t realise that the insulation in the original was ‘vacance’ until we had the new bit and were told it was ‘habitation’.

You can keep your brick, block, and stone, I will stick with my prefab, made in bits just 5 kms away by Brives and excellent, warm in winter and cool in summer. The addition of the air to air heating 3 years ago really transformed the place when I realised it could be reversed, and now keeps the new bit, where I live :wink:, down to about 24c, even yesterday when it was 40 just outside the shaded door. :slightly_smiling_face:

I started really drinkng water a few months ago after my re-diagnosis of asthma. Google told me :roll_eyes: to drink lots of water so I buy a 6 pack (9 litres) every week now. Not that I drink it all but I do drink many small glasses full each day, not because I am thirsty but because I like it. It does nothing for the asthma induced liquid lungs but I feel so much better in this weather.

I also only do 30 minutes outside and that is it for the day, but then, I live here all the time, so no need to hurry. :laughing:

1 Like

Absolutely, but we’ve had to be with the massive Ozone hole over us! My GP would check all my freckles etc every year (and would refer if anything suspicious), I asked my MT here and she said she couldn’t do that and I’d need to go direct to the dermatologist! I really must as the rates of skin cancer are something like 80% of adults over 40 having had at least 1 removed!

2 Likes

Our local dermatologist has a 12 month waiting list and regularly works late. But he manages to fit me in for a six monthly check, having already had a “cut and paste” job.
An interesting experience being examined all over and hearing the verdict that everything is “perfect”. Can’t remember that happening after the age of two!

1 Like

Eeek I really need to organise an appointment then! Already gone 5 years without a check!

2 Likes

Interesting morning here. Sea mist lasted until midday, giving us a balmy 22.5°. Heating up now and a couple more hot days expected. But long awaited rain is forecast for Wednesday and Thursday.
Hope that is right. The forecast tends to chop and change as the time gets closer.

I know - it drives me nuts, you get your hopes up then… nothing (or 6 drops like we had the other week!).

1 Like

Everyday life in Australia by all accounts!

1 Like

We had a ballon thermodynamique installed in April, and have just found out about this great bonus! Unhook huge pipe thing that vents the cold air into outside world and it pours into the house. Dog loves it!

You’ve already had SIX drops! Lucky you. :grin:

2 Likes

My husband has many moles, most of which he cannot see. If I see any that look different our MT gives an ordanance to see a dermatologist.
We use a lovely one in Perigueux.

Weather forecast used to be so relibile here, recent years very mixed, very concerning!

Still very toasty here in Burgundy, skies clouding up and hear thunder hoping for rain :pray:t2::sun_behind_rain_cloud::sweat_drops::umbrella::droplet:

We’ve just had an email from our Assurance… warning of excessive heat tonight… between 8pm and 11pm…

not sure how much hotter we can get without bursting into flames… already middle 40s… outside. now 27 indoors.

ah well… keeping thinking cool thoughts everyone…