Helen Skelton on her year in France

What do we think of this? Does it ring a bell or is it stereotypical nonsense or somewhere in between?

Hi Mandy… I’ve started several “replies” to your link… but found I was arguing with nearly every paragraph…

Perhaps it is sufficient to say that the mindset, which led this lady to choose to live in an isolated situation, has also coloured her view of life in France. :zipper_mouth_face:

(I must inform my pals at the Mairie that they are obviously imposters since “French women never ever snack on chocolate”…) :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

I suspect that if Helen writes about her experience of living near Leeds, it will have about as much in common with my experience of living near Leeds as her experience of France has with my experience of France.
For a supposedly intelligent person she doesn’t seem to look far below the surface does she, or maybe it’s having to be glamorous all the time that restricts what you can see and do, a bit like wearing blinkers and a harness.

Meeeouuw !

1 Like

There are many points that I cannot comment on because they are out of my experience but I know she is wrong on two points, the Frenchwomen I know certainly eat chocolate between meals and children’s meals are common in restaurants.

1 Like

She seems to have panicked when she knew her labour had started. Surely there was a plan already in place. ?

Oh, the plan was to get back to her isolated home (from wherever), not forgetting she knew she would be alone except for a young child… then phone UK…then have a bath…

Beggars belief.

…and as for saying the pompiers simply stood there, looking stunned… :zipper_mouth_face:

3 women and one baby (already arriving) … not a lot for the boys to do at that moment in time :roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes:

2 Likes

No idea who this person is, what a non-story.

2 Likes

She’s a minor celebrity who presented Blue Peter and Countryfile in the UK. She married a rugby player. She’s just trying to stay in the public eye in any way she can and seems to think spending a year in France as a WAG qualifies her as an expert.

1 Like

Sounded like she was in the deepest depths of central France - Canet-Plage is hardly that! She should try Fitou!!!

And a Rugby League player at that.

1 Like