Hello, I've just joined

What an adventure! What will be , Will be. Sometimes you have just got to go for it. That’s what we are doing now finally! Fingers crossed we hit lucky too!

I spent hours on the phone looking at the property on my computer and asking the agent… what is behind the upper left window… etc etc…

But, yes, nothing like being here and seeing for yourself…

As as aside… I spent nearly a year, mooning over a property in UK that I yearned to buy… the Seller kept us on tenterhooks while he dealt with whoever had first refusal…

In the end, it fell through… I was heartbroken… BUT just 3 months later we found a wonderful ruin… and spent 27 years happily pottering in that…good preparation for coming to this ruin in France… :relaxed:

Ha, lol! I’m looking all the time, but haven’t enquired yet with agents as I know they’ll ring, email all the time and ask when are we going over. I’m making a list and checking it regularly as the saying goes! I have only been on this site a day and feel like I made some friends and possibly future neighbours already!

Good hunting :+1:

We do seem a friendly bunch don’t we… everyone has some sort of experience to share and help others…:relaxed:

We shall enjoy sharing your buying experiences…

I know what you mean. We looked 4 years ago in France, then decided to move here, which needed lots of work. We’ve turned it around and it’s made a lot more money, so we can now buy bigger there and have some left over. Not sure on a ruin though!

Well, the ruin was intended as a holiday home. We bought in a small village with school, postoffice and bar/resto/shop and Mairie… this means we get to speak French every time we step out of our door. Slightly daunting at first, but a great way to integrate and get the language…

Other Brits have said how lucky we are… as they chose lots of land… and have no neighbours … and thus find it more difficult to integrate… and most of them still have not got to grips with the language.

1 Like

If anyone can let me know of immobilisers in the area, or see properties that some that may not advertise on big sites. I check leggett, French entree, French property, rightmove, beaux villages.

https://www.immobilier.notaires.fr/

It’s difficult because its hard to make a good living these days, there is a lot of competition so it’s important (I think) to have something unique ish. We have 2 gites in a fairly unique setting, it used to provide enough income when we first got established but not now. Also, If you are living with your gites - easier to manage daily, deal with any problems, clean the pool etc, rather than remotely, you have people in your space all of the . Then there is the laundry during the week and changeovers at the weekend, and if you sub it out you will quickly use any profit. Then there is the upkeep, cleaning/replacing cookers etc, damage, breakages. And you rarely know anything about the people coming.

But don’t let this put you off, it can be very rewarding but it’s not (always) easy

1 Like

Hi Stella and welcome!
We just purchased our home in the Charente between Cognac and Angouleme, in the Grand Champagne area near Segonzac. We are in a sunny spot with lovely long views over undulating countryside covered in vines! Hope to see you joining us in France ASAP!

I can highly recommend Matthew Berry at Charente Immobilier, Jarnac, if you are looking for a reputable Realtor. We dont like agents at the best of times, but he and his service have been second to none.

1 Like

You may know all about this but just in case.
HEALTH & SOCIAL SECURITY
These links may be of use. Not sure how many of the benefits will be available after Brexit and the transition period which ends 31st December 2020.

http://ec.europa.eu/social/BlobServlet?docId=6834&langId=en

This blog by a professor of EU law may help as well.
I understand it to mean EHIC and S1 arrangements will continue to the end of the transition agreement (End Dec 2020)

This is a blog from the London School of economics.

This tells you about amalgamating your pension if you have worked in more than one EU country.

Do remember all of this can all change after Brexit.

Hi Stella,
I know Bungay pretty well as I was born in Yarmouth and spent lots of time in the Bungay and Beccles area, lived in Burgh Castle for many years.
You mention some nice areas on your wish list. Poitiers is a nice place as is Angoulême and Limoges with some nice areas in between. I’m in St Junien on the Hte Vienne and Charente border and it’s great. A town with everything in it plus some great views, from my place overlooking the Vienne river at least.

1 Like

Yes, I agree Mark. We are going to look for gites at the property, but with enough garden to give them their own space. Hope that we will just feel it’s the right place, and that if we like it others will too! Do you advertise? We haven’t checked this out yet. Which ones are better than others, does own website work, or even Facebook? Hoping expenses can be offset against tax ???

Hi Monica, oh I’m so jealous! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: But it’s good to know we are looking in the right area. I am so looking forward to living there and meeting you all! I forgot we do get updates from Matthew too, Christophe in Ruffec (legget), and Wendy (agencemelusine).

Hi Peter,

Small world! We used to live on the coast in Hopton, then moved here to the countryside four years ago. It is the move here that has made us realise we prefer to live in the countryside but with views especially, as previously we just lived in a cul de sac. Is the Haute Vienne weather good? Wondered about Vienne to, but having not been there? Properties we like have come up in those areas.

Hi Graham,
Thank you I will have a read through all that info. We will prob need
to take out private health cover. I have a small government pension which will not be affected. Other pensions don’t get paid out till we are 67. I’m hoping the French still want us to buy in France and property taxes won’t be affected.

Thanks Stella, haven’t seen that one before, will add to my list :slightly_smiling_face: The weather is awful here and my property photos are being delayed because of it. Hubbys away working, the grass will be long and I can’t use ride on :grin: