HELP PLEASE! I need to cater for vegetarians

Grind mushrooms up, add some onion and perhaps a bit of mashed potato, add flour until like 'real' burger texture and then cook in butter. Easy, do it fairly often.

Thanks Brian. Now that I've calmed down, I've also had a look on BBC good food website, and there are lots of ideas there. We don't eat pasta, so was short on recipes there. Henry never eats fish, and I eat a bit of poached salmon once a week, so again poor on recipes in this area. Add to that, we left loads of decent cookery books back in Dublin because of weight reasons, and donated them to friends.

There are loads of things you can make paté with. Fish, I make it with sardines, garlic and some basil and parsley or the Portuguese version with onions, tomato and potatoes. Humble sardines indeed. Then all kinds of mushrooms, dead easy. Cook in butter, garlic, herbs and seasoning and into the blender. Chuck in a dash of cream to make it really smooth to spoil the punters. Vegetarian recipes are legion if you web search, then you can get your nut rissoles and all the other goodies going depending on the taste of those you are cooking for. I went vegetarian in my younger days, mainly because my mother's cooking left me hating meat and because it was fashionable. I managed to do it for about 12 years and know that the range is enormous, as variable as meat cookery. I am eating pork tonight!

Well the

Yes, I happen to have some Irish smoked salmon in stock, bought for another event! ;-)

Tagliatelle with smoked salmon -mmm.

Thanks, Celeste. I had a menu worked out for the entire week, which of course featured meat with veg on the side. Will work on new menu tonight. Have you a recipe for mushroom burgers?

Thanks so much June. At least they eat fish. I will take a look at the BBC website for inspiration. OH does a lovely cauliflower dish with roquefort sauce, but we can't eat that every night. I guess the problem for us is neither of us are fish eaters, so am a bit short of decent recipes. They are French (from Paris) so I guess they would have said if they didn't eat non-vegetarian cheese. Just wish they had given me more notice - I had already worked out menu for the week, and they requested lunch and dinner.

You will not get Quorn in France at all, so don't bother trying!

As they eat fish, then that should be easier, but when you say they eat cheese, do they just eat vegetarian cheese as much cheese is made from rennet which kills the animal? I have never seen a cheese marked vegetarian in France so really do not know whether it is or not.

BBC food does a lot of lovely vegetarian recipes, which meat eaters would probably like too. Here is a link

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/content/recipes/vegetarian/

I just wish your visitors good luck for the days that they are not eating with you! ( It will probably be fish every meal).

Hope you find something that takes your fancy on the bbc site

June