Help with Florida birth certificate information

Hi everyone,
I tried posting this in Legal with no reply. Thought I would try here. I’m looking for advice on Apostille birth certificates for French Nationality. The state of Florida has two options for a certified certificate which is then sent somewhere else for the Apostille; computer generated or photocopy generated. Does anyone know which would be required when applying? TIA!

I hope you find what you are looking for Robin but, if most people on here are anything like me they will have checked New Posts every morning so will have seen your original request.

Best of luck though. :slightly_smiling_face:

You could very well be right, David. Worth a go, though. :slight_smile: Thanks for the reply.

I guess it’s not what Florida provide that’s importent Robin. It’s what the French authorities will accept. If you find that out you can try and marry the two. Ask the French but also ask your embassy, that’s what they are there for.

May I suggest that you phone the French Embassy in Washington DC. They will be familiar with the US format of Birth Certificates, the system of US Public Notaries / Apostille, and the fact that of course every State has different ways of going about it. Therefore they should be in a position to advise you as to the US route to follow that will make the documents acceptable to the authorities here in France.
If that doesn’t work, then try the US Embassy in Paris, and if that still doesn’t bear fruit then try either Democrats Abroad, or the equivalent Republican association depending on your political leanings.

1 Like

ore try the French Consulate in Miami

We got married in Florida and the French authorities have always accepted our marriage certificate as a valid document.

Very good advice, and in both cases you will be able to converse in English. :slightly_smiling_face:

I nearly added, well almost, but then realised that I would not only be insulting you, but my French friends as well. So I won’t. :wink: :laughing:

Damn, I just did. :rage:

Pssst. I seem to recall that Robin speaks American so no problem on that score anyway. :slight_smile:

As a side note; I do think that it is good that an increasing number of websites now recognise the difference between US English and UK English in the list of language choices.

Thank you so much for the replies. I like to think that I’m trilingual…I speak UK and US English, as well as French. :wink: :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:.

I phoned the embassy in Paris yesterday and was given an email address. Fingers crossed they will advise on what I need. :slightly_smiling_face:

Glad to see that you are on the way for answers, Robin, and glad to see that your trilingualism extends to trilingual humor (oops, humour) too. :wink: :slightly_smiling_face:

@Robert Hodge. Yes, they often offer a choice but don’t always follow through. But my beef is more with some French writers who confuse the 2, even when the French word is identical to our own, ie center/centre.

Regarding US English in general I calm myself down with the thought that in many cases it is only our own old English words (like truck) which we have changed and now have bounced back to annoy us. A bit like the French faux amis and words like sensible (=sensitive in French, whereas sensitive in English becomes raisonnable) :wink:

One must admit that your particular example is a difficult one to grasp for many folks. E.G. Is the Language Learning Centre in the town center ?

Not in France or Britain it isn’t, or shouldn’t be. :slightly_smiling_face:

…whereas sensible in English becomes raisonnable :wink:

Of course it does, my typo, but you get the point I think. :wink: :slightly_smiling_face:

And sensitive in English becomes sensible in French.

Yes you had said that already :blush: and what I quoted was was obviously a typo - so many faux amis, la cave and a cave, versatile being positive in English but negative in French, being a maniac is quite different depending on where you are… publishers and éditeurs and editors. You can make a nice lot of Venn diagrams for lexical overlap (I spend quite a lot of time doing this) it is illuminating.

It may be illuminating Vero, but for old fogies like me it is a nightmare. I can write quite rapidly in French but waste so much time going through word by word, line by line checking on the possible faux amis, not to mention the genders.