Helping to house and support refugees

Iam interested, I was just asking a question.

Kate, I seem to have erased your post- sorry. I didn’t mean to. I was just trying to edit my own post and not only deleted mine but yours too.

But as to your question about why educated professionals have had to flee Syria, just a few recent images of Homs and Aleppo, for starters, will show you. The cities have been flattened. The country has deteriorated into hellish violent landscape with atrocities committed on all sides.

And France is processing a number of refugees, so no worries about their being “illegal”.

Anyway, people who are not interested in the refugees don’t need to comment. Let’s keep this thread positive involving those who are concerned and are looking for and to share information, please

9 million displaced … around 6 million in Syria, 3 million have fled to Jordan, Lebanon and Turkey. Conditions in the camps there are dire, brutal and unsafe, there is no future, the likelihood is that you won't being going home anytime soon. What would you do ?

(oh yes the figures … give or take a million which will probably be more in the not too distant future, so please don't berate me for the inaccuracies … )

I don't think think anyone should be criticised for posting their vews. This is after all a forum where everyboidy should be able to voice an opinion, as long as it is not offensive.

well done catherine j... and andy and everyone who's helping in any way.

maybe your new tenants will be lovely people, who are so thankful for your kind offer, they'll never forget the kindness of strangers

obviously not you barbara, mike, jane.

shame on you to find a negative in a perfectly acceptable request for information (sorry c & j)

we decided this summer to donate to MSF.

Every time we hear ''we hope the refugees don't block the tunnel! we'll miss our train!" we donate e20

(we donated e40 when we were told if we still had a house in the UK we should think about beefing up security - refugees might move in and we'd never be able to get rid of them)

Argh. Just deleted my comment by mistake.

I spoke to a Belgian neighbour yesterday. Those of us in our area (the Lot), who want to get involved are required to attend a seminar. We, and presumably our accommodation, will be assessed for suitability. This is going to be an organised and monitored program.

Will keep you posted.

One last comment: If you have been following the news, you will know that the refugees who could make it all the way to Europe are the lucky ones. Many if not most of them were highly educated English speaking and skilled professionals in Syria before the region blew up, which as an American I feel more than a little responsible for…

Some sort of support for the people who take refugees?

What sort of support?

The organisation of all this will be far too costly and complex.

France can be a difficult place where rentals are concerned.

I am not sure how you could do this as bureaucrats here like to be able to put you in a box, ie short term like gites furnished to a good standard, unfurnished, normally 3 year lease. Lots of problems from a good guesture and no protection for you,lot of potenetial problems eg how would a displaced person open an edf account with no bank, no employment etc, not trying to add problems just being pragmatic.Why not let as a gite and donate say 25% to refugee fund

I am waiting to hear back from the official people in Paris who are dealing with this situation, the explained that there is so much paperwork involved (as you all know French Paperwork) once this is sorted, the lady dealing with this will contact me. It is not as simple as everyone thinks. With certain contacts in Paris, they were able to put me in touch with the officials, so we have to wait, but I will chase them up on Monday to see what is happening, I think there will be some kind of support for the people who take any refugees.

Can you speak Syrian or Egyptian or any of the many languages that the refugees speak, will they be able to speak French or English? What will you do if they refuse to leave after winter? I think that the Authorities would seek accommodation close to the areas where assistance would be available. Nice gesture but do be very careful as not all refugees will be nice people...

I also tried an agency and no reply. Maybe they are too busy?

When I lived in Cape Town in the 80’s, the government was bulldozing shacks in illegal settlements in the middle of the cold and wet winter. I am still haunted by my inability to do anything real to help. Yes, I know that I am taking a risk; thank you for your concern. But how can you not share spare accommodation given the desperate plight of the refugees and now the onset of winter?

Hi Catherine. I agree with the others regarding being careful. I nice gesture may be thrown in your face. Maybe look at donating clothes, kids toys, books and bedding. Even the homeless may need this kind support. Or rent your property out and donate the rental, but what not having the right people in it may end up being a big problem. All this aside, carry on being kind and thinking of others, we need more of you.

This is the organisation I have signed up with:
http://singa.fr/la-communaute/calm-comme-a-la-maison/

Apparently the reason that I haven’t heard back from them is that they are being overwhelmed with offers! Proud of the French.

If you don’t have spare accommodation, they accept donations.

Yes it is a kind thought but not at all practical.

How would the 2 people get to you? How would they be supported financially and emotionally

as they settled for 6 months in France.It would be a nightmare of false security unless you could

offer a permanent home and support for them with there future.

Catherine Julia, whilst I applaud your aims please be careful because you may very well find that you cannot evict your guests should you need to. You say that you want to offer for six months, but you need to be really sure that you will get your cottage back at the end of that time.

Joanie luvvie - I think it’s time to up the dosage! You’ve just replied, acidly, to a post that’s over 15 months old. You really must stop trying so hard to find someone to have a pop at - it looks slightly desperate and pathetic. :slight_smile:

Put your eye shades on and have a little lie down…

3 Likes

Thank you Simon. I confess that I was rather upset by this woman’s post this morning, but after looking at some of her other posts, realised that she is quite an unhappy person so refrained from responding.

2 Likes

We happen to be part of the Charolais collectif to help refugees. We have given furniture and bedding to refugee families.
We need the extra income from our gite, as I expect do others who rent out their properties.
What good would it do if we had to move because we could not get back our property and probably not be able to sell either.

So you find it difficult to cope with an intellectual, factual comment without making assumptions about the psychology of the writer.
Hmm! So who is acidly u happy?