Here are 24 cognitive biases that are warping your perception of reality

Like the characters in your piccie!

Crikey! There’s spiky, spikey, and craniotomy look-alike-y and all carried out with such anatomical precision.

Only a practised assassin would IMO be able to locate the Bregma, the point at which the lateral coronal sutures of the skull are intersected in the cranial midline by the sagittal suture, and will admit a piercing instrument applied with sufficient force, rather like a walnut shell, without undue comminution of the skull, and with a satisfyingly gory splash.

No wonder both parties look serene and fulfilled!

1 Like

Yes, I heard that too.
Amazing how they have not thought that it might be different for men or women!

@anon78757855: “Haven’t got any facts”.

No problem, if that’s what you want.

But there’s nothing to prevent you from considering factoids or facticules or factlets: incremental and provisional ‘good enough’ mental steps in the process of coming to necessary day-to-day decisions, and don’t tell me you don’t make decisions because you write about them, often.:joy:

Not knowing is good, knowing you are more likely to be wrong especially when you think you are right is better, but disavowing any capacity for choice, or any discrimination about the value of one choice relative to an alternative choice is just silly. IMO.

As to your seeming self-contradiction in an earlier post, we all do it much of the time, but ‘knowing’ we do it makes some difference, I think.

Envoyé depuis l’application Mail Orange

I intensely dislike being with people who are alcohol dependent, the same goes for drugs, there is nothing even slightly tolerable about alcohol or any other dependency, for me.

1 Like

Oh my! How lovely to see you all again! I’m currently up to my hat, in discussions with assorted wonderful lawyers/ MPs etcetc…well one of each so far…in an attempt to resolve the astonishing dogs breakfast of brexit effects, for UK, OAPs. I never read so much rot and confusion, in my life, and inspite of my own careless handling of syntax, I am capable of reading most sentences longer than five words. I mean…it isnt IDIOCY that prevents my understanding of vital issues.
Yanno, some people talk of suicide, they feel so bad. Of course, that could all be fake, and posturing and emo blackmail, except that for some poor old buggars…that’s THEIR reality.

…hahaha!! Perfect! Yep! I think that must be a feature of Middle Ages everyday life. If you look at illustrations,stained glass and sculpture etc of that time, everyone looks so peaceful with different kinds of torture/disemboweling/drawing and quartering, hanging blokes upside down and sawing them in half, alive, or course, etcetc.
I wonder how it came about that people are more squeamish these days.

Yes!Vero. So how do you deal with that?
When x%, 99%? of the world can’t get through the day, sans their stupéfiant? No use, in my experience, attempting to encourage a different way to survive.

Disagree with this “sweeping statement” although I think I can understand what personal experience may have provoked it.

Alcohol produces languor, sopor and torpor before it causes stupor.

These are archaic but useful categories of altered consciousness produced by illness, injury, poisons or other deleterious factors.

The changes in consciousness (and thus in behaviour) usually appear in the sequence given above, sometimes slowly, sometimes very quickly.

Stupefaction (stupor) is the immediate precursor of coma, or complete unconsciousness, and alcohol is not by any means a common cause of either, when one considers that the use of alcohol is widespread and most people who use it do so responsibly.

I think that must apply to most SF readers, many of whom write approvingly of its use.

‘Unpleasant’ drunkeness, agitation, clumsiness, rowdiness, even violence or lewdness: these are categorically NOT signs of stupefaction.

So alcohol should not be described as a stupefacient or stupefactant other than in the proper context, meaning one that is not biased, perhaps vexatious or unintentionally misleading, IMO

A person who is stupefied for any reason can not be roused, and may not even respond to painful stimuli.

A stuporose subject is at very serious risk of suffocation if vomiting occurs, because the cough reflex is suppressed in stupor and the inhalation of vomit blocks the respiratory passages, leading to death.

So I doubt most people who say alcohol produces stupéfaction have ever encountered the latter in an individual who has had too much to drink. I may of course be wrong. :thinking::grinning:

1 Like

A tiny bit of alcohol probably oils the gears of society in a good way but alcohol affects people in different ways and so often people (even before they are visibly drunk) become absolute crashing bores. Thereafter if they continue to chug it back, it is downhill all the way.

If people just got plastered/stoned/high whatever in their corner and their behaviour was merelynself-destructive, ie affected nobody else, I wouldn’t dislike them so much.

1 Like

Sad but true @vero:slightly_frowning_face:

Very interesting. Thank you Vero and Peter. Its possible to write a couple of book fulls, on several ways of thinking through, but my abbreviated view of the scenario begins with my first thought, that no one reacts in the same way as everyone else, to alcohol and its effects.

Second, whatever effect it has on person a) to person z), it is ‘likely’ (a quote from somewhere) that Alcohol “affects the brain’s communication pathways. This makes it harder for you to think and speak clearly, remember things, make decisions, and move your body” Plus from somewhere else, “first effects… are usually of a mild stimulant”…

Using French words, is my own, personal, way to distance myself from Eng. Statements that may have already become overloaded with British cultural feeling, and as I remember UK as a deeply pub and ‘social drinking’ culture, I know that however many decades I put between me and my homeland? whoever hears me, and knows me to be " British" is likely to color my *vocabulary", with British taste.
I have never been, or wanted to be any part of Brit. booze/pub/social drinks scene. I think of it as a national tragedy, best illustrated by Hogarth, and maybe, described by Flora Tristan in her thoughts on London’s gin palaces, cruelty to women, children, and the poor, and prostitution.
Gabor Maté. I believe, goes too far in suggesting childhood trauma is the cause of almost every over-use/abuse of all drugs …including alcohol, but in the end, perhaps he will be found to be close.
Children deprived of affection, most often, put something they find comforting, in their mouths.

I'm OK with being obliterated, entirely. I don't need anyone to agree,  or to validate my POV. I remember it being acceptable to criticize those who, like me, disliked "altering their minds" with stimulants etc, unless medically and unavoidably.    

I found myself under pressure, when I was young, to approve, to share, to take part.  Long before I understood that people, societies, around the world, do not all behave in the same way, and that many people in the world think of drinking beer or anything that makes them feel differently, think differently, as poison.  

ALL OK now! Invitations, received kindly, BUT! anyone leaning on me NOW, to get me to take part, I can tell them, sans fear or favor, to fuck off. :blush:

“Anything that MAKES them feel differently, think differently, is poison?”

What kind of narrow minded, spiritually imprisoned, coercive, unreasoned, illiberal and vicious philosophy is that, Jeanette?

Reads to me like Torquemada.

Used judiciously and in company, alcohol can be enabling, and unconstraining of the fetters of convention and bigotry.

I invite you cordially and in the spirit of friendship, to get a life!

1 Like

Hahaha!
Wonderful! Thank you Peter!!! PERFECT.
However-
You capitalized …“MAKES”… Would you like to elaborate why?
I guess it might suggest that the substance has a will of its own, which was not my intention!

Maybe if I use "induces’, that sounds less ‘purposeful’ for the substance?

At any rate, no, of course not, alcohol does no persuading/forcing/inducing, without the collaboration of the person taking it.
To what extent that may be entirely individual choice, and how much coercion/obligations/force is used …to " encourage" anyone to take part, could be best illustrated by your diatribe against the thought of
REJECTION of the “harmless” activity you promote, with affection!
Terrific! I’m what? All those terrible things and don’t give a hoot!!
Ooo-errr!

You’ve got it!
The heart of UK culture in a few lines.
“Approve of it!!
Or be ostracized!
Approve or be Cast Out!”.

No thank you! Not now, not ever will I choose to “get a life” that includes using mind altering drugs including alcohol.
You will please yourself, of course!!

I’ve heard all of that before, of course, as a great many people have …growing up in UK, who might, like me, dare to suggest that any mind altering must be absolutely a matter of personal choice, unless medically supervised.

Anyone else got a soapbox out there? :smiley:

Recent research.

"Max Griswold from the Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation, University of Washington lead a study that looked at data from nearly hundreds of studies and data sources involving roughly 28 million individuals.

According to his findings, any health benefits are easily overwhelmed by alcohol’s mind-altering and toxic effects.

“Previous studies have found a protective effect of alcohol on some conditions, but we found that the combined health risks associated with alcohol increase with any amount,” says Griswold. "

I think I capitalised ‘makes’ (people feel/think differently) because it suggested that these changes were not part of a legitimate and informed decision on the part of the drinker to use alcohol because it enables the freedom in her to change the way she habitually and conventionally feels about herself and her world; how she thinks about those things; and how she acts accordingly. She may find out, of course, that she might make mistakes, but alcohol does not rid her of the judgement to recognise them, and learn from them.

You may think of that as poisoning, or entrapment, others may experience it as liberation; and know how to use that freedom to good effect.

1 Like

“You may think of that as poisoning, or entrapment, others may experience it as liberation; and know how to use that freedom to good effect.” (Peter wrote)

I think that has to be rephrased a little, until some kind of demonstrable proof can be offered…to say…
“others may identify the experience of mind altering drugs, as ‘liberation’, and confidently declare that the the ‘freedom’ that they feel, in using them, may be put to good effect, sans risk of dependency or damage. Tests are ongoing but no conclusive evidence is yet available, to support that idea. Whereas the evidence of damage is plentiful and ongoing”.

“How quick come the reasons for approving what we like.”
― Jane Austen

@anon78757855 rebukes me mildly, but instructively (that is, I think, her benign intent based on my prior experience) as follows:

• "How quick come the reasons for approving what we like.”
    ― Jane Austen*

How quick you are too, Jeanette, to dismiss the evidential validity of embodied experience! Which is, of course, what ‘demonstrable’ proof relies on, inescapably, despite all claims made for impartial or ‘true’ objectivity.

Objectivity is a spectrum, not perhaps a two dimensional or linear one, and your implication is that we cannot rely on our experience because we are not objective, or not sufficiently or ‘truly’ so.

But we are all capable of subjecting our claims to objectivity to some kind of reasonable test of their validity, which may not be 100%, or 80% or much much less. Such probability criteria apply in science, why not in sophisticated human inquiry of alternative forms?

Think provisionally, incrementally, and not inevitably under pressure to convince oneself that one is right, or to impress others. That’s a guiding principle that encourages critical thinking, avoids dogmatism, and one that I do try to put into.practice, when I remember.

Yesterday I shared a good thimble full of Ricard with my neighbour while watching the international under 19s women’s UEFA championship final: France 2 v Germany 1

Convivial evening. We also nibbled (between us) about 10 rather less-than-crisp savoury triangles, very French!

Being of a cumulative age of 164 we wisely both retired to our separate bedrooms under our separate roofs and slept before 2200. How Normand! :clock10::fr::heart:

1 Like

_@anon78757855 takes me to task for thinking that people who feel “free” and “liberated” by small amounts of alcohol are describing an authentic experience, because there is no reliable or valid evidence to support their claim. :thinking:

She submits that:_

“Tests are ongoing but no conclusive evidence is yet available, to support that idea.”

I think this is everso slightly tendentious, Jeanette.

How about: “People who took analgesic medication for toothache reported that they experienced considerable relief from pain, and also much less distraction, anxiety, and fruitless searches for a remedy. However, there is no measurably demonstrable evidence to support this finding, because the subjects were too subjective, and showed a strong bias towards a truthful assessment of their experience, which could not be objectively confirmed.”

“Tests to measure their height and their career prospects are ongoing, but results are as yet inconclusive.”

“However, subjects who take analgesics are highly liable to do so again, and almost universally keep a stock in their bathroom cupboard, sometimes for several years.”
Evidence for this kind of dependence is very strong and irrefutable." :laughing:

Envoyé depuis l’application Mail Orange

1 Like

…hahaha!!! Wonderful stuff Peter! I’m always glad to talk to peeps who do not feel it as a public duty to sock me on the jaw, for my views.
Didn’t you live in Africa for a long time? Did you ever again, after that experience …find it easy to live with BMC values, as The Obligatory Norm? I think I refer to qualia very often, as essential, singular experiences, so not sure how you arrived at your conclusions, so far. Will investigate…
I 'm inondée at the mo. Back soon…:grin:

I’m sorry you can’t write about personal/family experiences. Is there no way to manage that, without anxiety? Change all the names etc, couldn’t it all be about anyone?