Hi. Can anyone identify this mountain range from my photo?

I'm jealous of the people on here that live in an area not invaded by the Brits! :-D LOL!

We're not too far away from you, Christine, and I agree with you completely - the Auvergne is beautiful and unspoiled. We are around 750m so get the snow in winter and lovely hot summers. From our terrace we face the Cézallier and can see Puy du Sancy (weather permitting), especially when it's snow covered. We love the stunning views and feel we're really in "La france Profonde".

Rachael,

It is probably at least partly because, other than the "rugged" weather, there are no "easy" access routes for the seasonal occupant, and those who do decide to set up camp here for good realise that the main transport infrastructure is, compared to other parts of France, limited to a single strip of motorway (albeit mostly free for the time being) that takes a north-south line through the area :-)

The airport in Clermont is a joke, which is a shame as it used to have much better year round international reach, and there is no TGV here, nor is there likely to ever be one, despite the political blustering. You can basically fly to Paris or Amsterdam, with AirFrance/KLM, and that's it. So, as there is no EasyJet, RyanAir, or other low cost service to Clermont, one is forced to choose from either :

Lyon : 2h 45min (give or take with traffic)

Limoges : 3h

Montpellier : 3h

The airport situation in Clermont is due in part to RyanAir stiffing the regional council for subsidies, then pulling out after 2 seasons, but also thanks in no small part to AirFrance itself, which owns RegionalAir and switched its hub from Clermont to Lyon a few years ago. I can remember a time when there were daily flights to London City airport, and 3 flights per week to Basel and on to Munich. Those days are long gone.

Other than that the train to Paris from Clermont takes 3.5 to 4 hours depending on the one you get, when it isn't late (as is often the case) and gets you to Paris Bercy, south of the main railway stations, and getting to anywhere south of Clermont by train takes even longer - Nimes 4.5 hours, Beziers 5h, Aurillac 2h, etc, etc.

In terms of flexibility and speed, the only other viable alternative is the motor vehicle. A drive to Calais is between 7 and 8 hours (sometimes far more) depending on the traffic, and then you've got to get from Folkestone to wherever it is you need to get to in the UK. A drive to Caen or Le Havre about 6.5 to 7 hours, and then you've got an overnight ferry and associated costs to deal with.

I can easily imagine that if this area were more readily accessible to the UK population, then we would no doubt see an increase in the number of summer migrant visitors and even residents - as yet, I don't recall many home hunting TV programmes featuring the Auvergne in their shows as one of the perfect destinations for a move to France !

Thank goodness :)

Uncharitable and selfish as it may sound, it suits me fine too Christine :-)

Wouldn't have it any other way! I quite like feeling smug as all the tourists race like lemmings down the motorway to the coast, completely missing our glorious region. Selfish? Moi?? You bet!

Thanks Alex. I lived there for 6 months in 1976 (in Thiers). The region seemed really authentic and probably the reason I fell truly in love with France. I hope for your sakes it stays that way :-)