High Court to hear Brits’ Brexit legal case

High Court to hear Brits’ Brexit legal case on Wednesday 20 April

A High Court hearing into the rights of up to 2 million Britons in Europe to vote in the EU referendum will take place on Wednesday 20th April 2016. Two judges at the High Court in London will hear arguments against legislation that excludes British people living in the European Union, but outside the UK for more than 15 years, from voting in June.

The ‘rolled up’ judicial review hearing will begin on Wednesday with a possibility of it extending into Monday 25th April if a second day is required to hear arguments.

Leigh Day, the lawyers for the claimants, requested an urgent hearing at which both the permission to apply for a judicial review can be held, and if successful and permission is granted, a substantive hearing will follow immediately after.

Attending the hearing will be Jacquelyn MacLennan, one of the claimants, as well as Charlotte Oliver, an English lawyer based in Rome who runs her own practice in the Italian Capital and supports the legal action being taken. Mr Shindler will not be attending the hearing.

Leigh Day is acting on behalf of 94-year-old Harry Shindler, a Second World War veteran who lives in Italy, and lawyer and Belgian resident Jacquelyn MacLennan. Both claim that under the EU Referendum Act 2015 they are being unlawfully denied the right to vote on the UK’s continued membership of the EU.

All power to Leigh Day! The claim is just and right.

A very professional post.

If you are not registered for voting in UK you cannot vote now. A lot of brits did not registered then for they were picked up by tax inspectors and this scared them off registering!!!!!

So, is 94-year-old Harry Shindler paying his own legal fees, or are 'we' all paying them ?

Not that I think Lawyers just jump on any Bandwagon going ...........

T

they have to make a living and like to jump on a train thats going

Claudia,

If you have lived outside the UK for less than fifteen years after you were last on a UK register, there is still time to register to vote in the EU Referendum on 23rd June. The advice is: Overseas voters should apply to register to vote by 16 May 2016 and once registered, must apply to vote by post or proxy in order to be able to vote from outside the UK. This is to allow sufficient time for the local authority on whose register you were last recorded to process the paperwork, and for your application for a postal vote to get into the system.

Alas, if you have lived outside the UK for more than 15 years, you cannot vote. The law states the fifteen-year limit, and the Votes for All legislation removing that limit promised in the Queen’s Speech, has not been forthcoming.

i am 88 years of age and have lived in France for over 20years; with a name like Dewar i am obviuosly Scottish; how does all this leave me for voting rights?

my father was a pure scot and for his sake i need to vote, however i don't need to hide the way i feel and i vote we stay IN and anyone with any feelings of frienship and unity will agree; i rember when i was a child walking across a field in a village

called Salfords in the south of england when over 200 bombs were dropped all around us we just laid in a ditch untill it was all over then running home to see my mother crying looking over the garden fence; there were so many dead cows!!

the moral of this story is it could not happen again if we stick together .

i am 88 years of age and have lived in France for over 20years; with a name like Dewar i am obviuosly Scottish; how does all this leave me for voting rights?

my father was a pure scot and for his sake i need to vote, however i don't need to hide the way i feel and i vote we stay IN and anyone with any feelings of frienship and unity will agree; i rember when i was a child walking across a field in a village

called Salfords in the south of england when over 200 bombs were dropped all around us we just laid in a ditch untill it was all over then running home to see my mother crying looking over the garden fence; there were so many dead cows!!

the moral of this story is it could not happen again if we stick together .

What were your voting rights for Scotland leaving the UK/EU last year ?

It will never be a complete split between the EU and Britain. History is stronger than the EU. Just renegotiating trade agreements and ironing the creases will take years.

When the far right gets in power it will be Frexit.

The resentment against the EU is strong in the far right parties in France. They want to remain their own masters and are against the euro because it cannot be devalued at will.