Hip Hop... sorry... Op

Best wishes Teresa for a successful surgery, courage.

Marie-Antoinette

Just wanted to say thanks again for all this wonderful and positive information.

I've jumped through all the hoops to ascertain i'm not infectious or have heart issues (actually great to have had a full heath check!)

... and now it's all agreed and I'm going for my new hip op 22 April - just under three weeks to go

Can't wait!!!

x teresa

thank you so much for this Nick - a really informative and helpful email... hope your wife is still beating you at golf!

x teresa

My wife at 63 yrs was recommended by her doctor to have a hip replacement. Within the month she had seen the surgeon who would do the op and he explained the procedure. We had downloaded the NHS brief on hip replacements complete with diagrams which we took with us to the surgeon to aid translation/understanding. Within one month my wife was admitted and had the operation , and had a metal joint put in (you get to choose your preference for the joint). She was in hospital for 7 days, each day doing a bit more exrcise. She came home and took it very easy for about 6 weeks until she was well enough and also with sessions at a nearby physio. She was playing golf again within 12 weeks. We had nothing but praise for the surgeon, anethetist, physio, nurses and hospital (Aurillac in Cantal) for their care and succesful operation. 4 years on she's fine. She didn't pay a penny for it as she was a pensioner and it was far quicker than possible in UK

thank you all so much - what a brilliantly positive set of replies - thoughtful, informative and pretty much similar experiences. It's made me confident and happy - though i think i'll always be called 'hoppy' in our house now!

thanks sfn-ers, i knew you wouldn't let me down

xxx teresa

I won’t tell you my horror story, but a word of advice. Ask your surgeon how many he does a year, if it’s less than one a week, choose another surgeon! If you are going to the Clinique Montreal in Carcassonne, let me know!

Had my first hip done just over 9 weeks ago in Saumur clinic, brilliant team and felt better from waking up. Epidural was planned but because of scoliosis on the operating table it was discovered line could not be got in so full general instead. So I never got to hear the noises etc (I believe you can ask for music etc) and recovery is slightly more complex also I did need a blood transfusion so was in hospital 7 days instead of 6. All the staff were great and we got round my very rudimentary French. I wouldn't say I am actually looking forward to my next op but am looking forward to the relief from the pain from that hip if it matches the first. I was told to just keep walking and given no physio after the hospital but I will press for that next time as I downloaded exercises but would have preferred some me centered guidance. I should add I had got to a point where I could barely walk, pain killers were useless and the UK had ignored the progressive deterioration for nearly 10 years. It was within 5 months of my first GP appointment here I had the first hip done. I hope you have the same result or better (I am nearly 68 so I am sure you will benefit quicker).

Had both of mine done over here due to a birth defect at 41 can't praise the doctors etc enough. I had an epidural for both, and took a personal stereo in to block out any noise / help me "relax". I stayed in the hospital until I was able to demonstrate that I could get up to go to the loo without help, about 6/7 days. They get you up very soon after the op to get you moving. You will a get a prescription before for a betadine shower wash ( and you need to shave!), as you will be expected to shower at home with it the night before and then again when you arrive on the day of the op. You will be sent home with a selection of ordanance for the nurse to make daily visiits to give anti coagulant shots and for the checking and clkeaning of dressings. You will also get one for crutchs, pain killers, and a physio who can visit you at home. You can ask for an ambulance to take you home as well if getting in and out of your own car (chauffered of course) would cause a problem. Food in hospital is not great (at least in Montmorillon) and they dont give you lots of drinks, so take in some syrup and tea bags! Also take in a laptop, notebook if you dont want to be bored stiff or to have top pay for the TV.

Everyday after you will see an improvement. Go for it, your dancing days are not over, no more parking as close to the doors as you can get.....

Good luck

OH, aged 58, had both his done last year in Avranches, Normandy. Both new hips are brilliant, ask for physio post-op because it gets you back to normal functioning more quickly and builds physical confidence - OH had 20 sessions per hip. Downside was a staph infection after the first op but that was treated efficiently and he had the second one done in the same hospital by the same surgeon 6 months later.

Investigate the format of the operation before choosing a surgeon. OH had both his done via the buttocks (in effect) so the incision is down the centre side (there's probably a technical term for that) but a newer procedure is via an incision further to the front of the hip which is smaller and involves fewer muscles and is apparently easier and faster to recover from.

Typically, you're out of bed the day after the op and walking either that day or the following day. Yes there are drains and tubes and some perfectly manageable discomfort and things but it really isn't too bad and generally you're discharged into the care of the local infirmières after 6 - 7 days. Be prepared for a trip to the pharmacy to pick up several hundred euros-worth of dressings, sterile washes, blood-thinning injections and so on. You may get a visit from the nurse daily for the injections and the dressing changed every 2 - 3 days.

Oh yes, reading the post above, OH could opt for a general anaesthetic or epidural - as he is a carpenter, he opted for the GA as he didn't particularly want to see the saws, drills, etc, as he'd know too well what they were for!

Morning Teresa, Been there, done that.

Took a year or two to go see doctor ref 'pain', he checked, X-ray, Hospital, theatre..sorted.

I do not speak French really, but all concerned were brill.

I had op' 2 years ago. Had epidural, so I was awake all the time, heard saw, drill and hammering, body was shaking with the vibrations. Approx a week in Hospital with some physio, and home visits for injections for a month. All concerned were brilliant.

Do not be put off by my comments ref vibrations etc., as you feel NOTHING, and you can talk to the staff. Could not see them operating as screen put up. A great experience really.

... and no pain in hip starting after the epidural.

The Olympics had just been on also the Para Olympics, this inspired me to think that if the Para Athlete's could do all the training and compete, well heck I could have a hip pop / op.

So in essence I am saying, get in there, trust them, do not be afraid, it is really worth it for YOUR quality of life.

After, 3 month check up, then 1 year then 3 year.

Bets wishes, go girl. xx