Home made ginger beer (with slight wobble)

In Oz Ginger beer (non-alcoholic) is very popular and nigh on impossible to find here (and if you can you need a mortgage!). Surely it can’t be too hard to make? Anyone tried it? Have a recipe?

If not possible to home make the non-alcoholic stuff I could probably cope with some alcohol and then I wouldn’t have to share with the kids :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

All the mums down our street made this… when I was about 8… delicious stuff.
Exploding bottles caused much excitement…

I seem to recall mum being given a ginger-beer-plant (presumably the yeast starter)… such stuff must be available in France… surely.

2 Likes

We always made ginger beer and in Heysham Nettle Beer was a delicacy sold to the tourists in the 50’s and 60’s.
We have made both and elderflower cordial.

2 Likes

This version looks feasible.@toryroo… might give it a go…

Must be good - look at the name…

2 Likes

My other half made nettle beer once, & lost 3 days.

5 Likes

Caused my favorite uncle to suffer a black eye

1 Like

he was very lucky… it could have been so much worse.

Our bottles exploded in the pantry… from time to time…

1 Like

One of the things I love about SF is being able to flip from posting a long, earnest analysis of the history of imperialism in Afghanistan, to an equally earnest (and perhaps better informed?) discussion of personal memories of home made ginger beer.

5 Likes

Not that we were poverty stricken, but none of the families in our road had much money. Dads all worked hard, Mums made wonderful meals with produce from the garden/allotment and very little else … certainly no money for sweets or anything flippant like that… so this ginger beer was a real treat.

I’ve no idea which family got the first gingerbeer plant, but I remember the excitement we kids felt waiting to get our first taste. I must have been about 8 years old but the memories are so clear.

Pity I don’t always know what day it is nowadays… :wink:

A true ginger beer plant is actually a yeast plus a bacteria - instructions for making one here - https://delishably.com/beverages/How-to-Grow-Your-Own-Ginger-Beer-Plant

1 Like

no-one explained to us kids… we were told it was a plant… and we expected to see a stem with leaves and roots… :roll_eyes: :joy:

2 Likes

For some reason that reminds me of the Panorama spoof about the Italian spaghetti harvest… :slight_smile:

1 Like

wasn’t it a “tree”… or was that another April Fool…

Incidentally, while we reminisce … has anyone else got their Mr Turnip string puppet ?? (with its box).
My elder brother had Muffin the Mule…

(I date memories according to which house we were living in… and this lot relate to one particular home beside the sea…)

I had Sooty and Sweep glove puppets!

1 Like

Lucky you… someone along the street had Sooty…

Wasn’t that a lovely show… such simple pleasures in those days.

1 Like

No doubt when you saw road signs saying Heavy Plant Crossing, you expected the biggest asperdestra in the world! :joy:

3 Likes

You’ve got the idea… although that was later in life… when, as a family we would yell " Swiss Cheese" when we saw the sign… as an aunt had a huge one of those plants in her house…

come to think of it… I think we still yell that… when appropriate… :rofl:

I used to imagine Triffids…:scream:

2 Likes

A brief extract from Good Housekeeping Cookery Book 1948

A ginger-beer plant is started with Baker’s Yeast, castor sugar, ground ginger and water… and it’s a 10 day process…

After 10 days:
Dissolve castor sugar in water and add freshly squeezed lemon juice.

Strain the prepared “plant” through fine muslin.
Add the strained plant-liquid to the sugar/lemon-juice/water mix … and add more water.

Stir well and bottle at once in strong, screw-topped bottles.
Store in a cool place (essential)
Use/drink as required.

obviously there is more detail, but I can’t be bothered to type it all out…

This reminds me of the Friendship Cake that was made from a “starter” it did the rounds with my friends and work colleagues for a few years I believe.