Homeschooling? and 3 year olds at school

I am really pleased to hear that the children will be getting help :blush: maybe you too can apply to the school and give a few English lessons :blush: for free of course, they can’t pay you lol lol. I did this and it got me talking my pigeon french to the other Moms.

Funnily enough you will find that the children will pick up the language so much quicker than you and soon they will be gabbling away and you won’t understand lol lol, my little ones did that, kids are so quick :blush: they will be fine , don’t worry too much , xxxxx

2 Likes

As other commenters, I am really pleased to hear that things are looking much more positive - Bonne chance!!

3 Likes

Encore une victoire du forum !

1 Like

Tel hommage veritable d’un francais veritable ! :clipperton_island::+1::kissing:

Absolutely, I thought at first it was an April 1st story, but clearly not…

Good point Catherine, it will start to get better from here :slight_smile:

1 Like

That’s interesting.

Some of us have a huge amount of experience of introducing non native language speakers into a school system and that too is useful. Being a mum isn’t everything.

I didn’t say it was. I referred to people whose kids are in / have been through the French system.
In any case, I am quite sure the OP will be able to decide on whose opinions she decides to take on board :slight_smile:

2 Likes

“take on board those posts and ignore the rest…’

@Inloveinfrance

Meghan… you could try speaking French with each other… at home… it gets the brain working… simple phrases… or just words as you pass one another the bread/cereal… or whatever…

Make a game of it… your husband speaks French so that is a great help…

It might surprise you how quickly the kids pick things up… and it will help you too…

1 Like

Great advice Stella!

Also - with my teacher’s head on :
I highly recommend ‘My first 1000 words in French” - published by USBORNE - version with stickers - yes really!
I use the English version all the time with adult learners because it contains all the useful day to day vocabulary (light switch / trailer / wheelbarrow / hedgehog) that is never taught at school.
Also - grab the supermarket ‘promo’ catalogues every week and train tour brain to look at the image of say washing up liquid and think to yourself - aha, in French it is liquide vaisselle. If the word doesn’t come instantly or you don’t know it, find out and write it next to the image. At the end of the week, the catalogue goes in the recycling and you do the same the next week. The sheer repetition involved combined with looking at the images of objects you already recognise is a fantastically easy way to build vocabulary.
Women’s mags are a good variant on this too as the content is pretty similar around the world - top ten BBQ tips - how to get a beach body - I survived breast cancer - your best ever Christmas dinner etc etc etc, plus an awful lot of adverts (L’oreal , Dove etc) are instantly recognisable. Don’t worry about reading and understanding, just look at the pictures and headlines and try and get the gist of what the advert / article is about.
Good luck!
X

3 Likes

Must resist, must resist, must resist - Girlie Mags are mainly photos aren’t they! :joy:

(apologies as in Kids section do please delete if required)

2 Likes

Ha ha very funny!

(Don’t worry, i don’t think too many minors read SF on a regular basis :slight_smile: )

I do like this suggestion.

The Usborne books can be a great resource as they are so accessible.

I can’t find my copy of my favourite;

it gives everyday French phrases, not theoretical examples. I always remember trying to use a traditional phrase book to help when wanting to invite a young family who were our neighbours on a campsite for a drink. The only phrase in the book that was vaguely similar was, ‘My wife and I would like to invite you for cocktails this evening.’ The situation was sorted by my friend Howard catching the husband’s eye and waggling his beer bottle. The Osborne book contains more useful examples.

3 Likes

Looks like your average French property renovation…

image image

2 Likes

I need this for sure!!!

1 Like

Awesome… can i purchase these at a regular market or must i order online? I live in a very tiny town…no Barnes and Nobles here!!(jk lol):joy:

1 Like

Yes we do this already…my youngest son is very helpful in teaching mom some new words each day! The girls are a lil more shy with saying the words aloud but are getting better!

1 Like