Homeschooling? and 3 year olds at school

Thank u for ur kind words Ann! We have a conference today at lycee at hopefully soon one with the college. Im sure all will be ok

We’ve got new little ones at our school
 I am having difficulty with their names
:thinking: so many French first names sound wonderful, but I have no idea what they are until I see them written down.

Once they’ve properly settled into school
 we will have a new game, while they wait for the bus
 helping Stella to write their names correctly
 :relaxed:

1 Like

Here’s the link :slight_smile:

https://www.amazon.fr/mille-premiers-mots-avec-autocollants/dp/1409588920/ref=asc_df_1409588920/?tag=googshopfr-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=227898414647&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=16430178250591552249&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=t&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1005824&hvtargid=pla-453876730544&psc=1

2 Likes

Stick small sticky labels on everything with le xyz/ la xyz/ on them. Do not forget the le/la!!

5 Likes

Merci!:purple_heart:

Hi all. I am not sure whether to start a new thread for this but - we will see, because it is somewhat related to this thread. I am a grandparent so that is my interest on behalf of my granddaughter.
You will be aware that from next September, it will be mandatory to start pre school at the age of three.
My question is simple; if you do not want your child to go to school at that age, are there any exemptions? - perhaps home schooling is one of them? Any of you parents with upcoming three year olds any views on this?
(if no replies, I will start this as a new thread)
regards
geoff

@geoff_faulkner can you see the private message I have sent to you??

Found you this:
Pour autant, la maternelle ne sera pas incontournable. « Ce qui est obligatoire en France, ce n’est pas la scolaritĂ© mais l’instruction », rappelle l’historien de l’éducation Claude LeliĂšvre. Le systĂšme pour les 3-6 ans devrait le mĂȘme qu’actuellement pour les 6-16 ans : les parents pourront tout Ă  fait dĂ©cider de « faire classe » eux-mĂȘmes Ă  leurs enfants. Dans ce cas, ils devront simplement le dĂ©clarer Ă  l’administration — au risque d’écoper de 1 500 € d’amende — et se soumettre Ă  « l’obligation de contrĂŽle scolaire ». « En gros, cela consiste en un rendez-vous annuel avec l’inspecteur d’acadĂ©mie qui vĂ©rifie l’instruction dispensĂ©e et les progrĂšs de l’enfant », indique Maria Cesnulevicius, une psychologue parisienne qui a optĂ© pour cette solution avec ses trois filles. Si les rĂ©sultats ne sont pas probants, les parents pourront se voir enjoindre d’inscrire leur enfant Ă  l’école, sous peine de six mois d’emprisonnement et 7 500 € d’amende.emphasized text

3 year olds: Due to be discussed in Spring 2019
 taking effect September 2019

How easy it will be to homeschool at 3 will depend on the level of French the 3 year-old is exposed to - anyone who doesn’t speak French at home will have a lot more trouble arguing the case for home education, since this measure was put in place specifically to improve levels of spoken French and social skills (ie turning everyone into a good little French child).

I think that the potential problem may lie in the area you mention towards the end of your submission Veronique. I always propose caution when the state mandates something; there just may be other reasons for forcing children to school early - perhaps to train them to be obedient workers and never to don yellow vests.
regards
geoff

I suggest you spend some time in a pre-school to see what skills the children are being encouraged to acquire, there is certainly no forcing going on.
In the U.K. system (I know it’s irrelevant) although school places are available from three years old your child does not, legally, have to attend school until their fifth birthday. I’ve known several parents who kept their children at home until that time and every one has regretted doing so for two reasons; the first is that they see that their children are less well prepared to start the more formal education from that point and they observe the huge social opportunities that their children have missed out on.
Don’t get me started on home schooling, especially in a foreign country

1 Like

Yes David, it is true - I have not spent time in a pre school.
What i am cautioning about is what you say in your response : ’ less well prepared to start the more formal education '. I am not sure I want to force the childishness out of children at such an early age. I question whether it is a good thing to coerce children into sitting still and being good recipients of information - in other words, not behaving like children.
regards
geoff

Geoff you need to see for yourself. There is no attempt to force the childishness (sic) out of anybody, quite the opposite in fact. Many children miss basic social skills and these foundations are important. You have a strange vision about what happens within a classroom or foundation setting. You’re never too old to learn, I suggest you do a bit of practical research. Mind you you would probably prefer to continue criticising something that you know nothing about.

1 Like

The social skills to which I am referring are things like sharing, taking turns, waiting, not having tantrums, negotiating, sitting at a table, eating in a civilised way, asking for things, using a loo and washing their hands, that type of social skill.

3 Likes

My nephew is 12 yrs, an only child, never been to nursery or school. He has been successfully home schooled so far, belongs to a homeschool club and does football, violin, piano etc. He has good social skills and can hold his own like any other 12 year old. His parents encourage him to be an independent thinker. He is already studying for 5 gcse’s. IMO home schooling when done properly works very well. It’s very different to having a parent who is not committed to their child’s education which happens in both a school and home setting.
I wouldn’t have done it with my two because I wouldn’t have been a suitable teacher but it can and does work.

1 Like

That’s nice.

That isn’t the sort of child the government is thinking about - they have in mind the child who turns up at school aged 6 knowing few or none of the things I mentioned.
Horses for courses.

2 Likes

One of my neighbours is a retired schoolteacher and one of her bugbears was kids that arrived at school never having been taught to say Bonjour nicely to people.

Anna, that raises a question in my mind about responding to young “bonjours”. I live very close to a lycĂ©e and young female lycĂ©ennes commonly greet me thus in the street.

I have customarily responded to groups of youngsters with “Bonjour mesdamemoiselles” which is never met with giggles but often with a rustle of whispered comments after I have passed on, which whisperings I take - perhaps erroneously - as approval.

Can someone put me right? I don’t want to get a reputation as an old perv. :cry: