Honeyberries - anyone any experience?

No need for apologies. :slight_smile: I think I had guavas to eat in Brazil - called goiabas but can’t remember them, so maybe not very exciting?

I agree. about guavas in general, @SuePJ and heaven knows why these things are called guavas since they look like pink blueberries. In fact I’ve seen bushes on sale called pink blueberries and wonder whether they are the same or not. So many suppliers don’t give the latin names so it’s not easy to check. These are called, I think, myrtus ugni? Don’t know if that’s what you tried in Brazil?

They are in the myrtle family but I would have said a lot larger - but maybe I’m mis-remembering. From wiki:

Guava is a common tropical fruit cultivated in many tropical and subtropical regions. The common guava Psidium guajava is a small tree in the myrtle family, native to Mexico, Central America, the Caribbean and northern South America.

Sorry about that but my second link didn’t work, corrected above.

That’s them, @Griffin36 (the second link that is). What do you think of the fruit? Would you recommend them? The ones I had in the UK were supposedly hardy too but I didn’t really get a chance to test them…

They seem to do well though are quite young, my wife likes them and I was thinking on trying them and taking them into the greenhouse for protection during the winter along with the avocados.

1 Like

Going back to honeyberries, I was doing some more checking as I’d been leafing through the Baumaux catalogue and came across “Baies de Mai” which, being a lonicera variant, looked just like honeyberries to me. However, I thought honeyberries were usually lonicera caerulea and these are lonicera kamtschatica. Checked on the RHS and they are the same thing, technically Lonicera caerulea var. kamtschatica so Baumaux is another supplier.

However, everyone seems to point out you need 2 plants to get a crop, preferably different varieties. Might be important for @SuePJ to know that…

2 Likes