Hot Hot Hot

Indian Summer

I have seen it published in these pages. "Ooooo I really could murder an English Curry". In context what does that mean? An English Curry is not an authentic Kashmiri, Bangladeshi or Balti. In fact the Indians created Chicken Tikka Massala for their perception of would satisfy our taste buds. It has become the UK's National Dish.

Curry, in Western culture: Indian, Sri Lankan, Bangladeshi, Thai, all probably need turmeric, coriander, and cumin. What we all mean, I suppose is, yes, you can get a Pub ( bar ) curry, you might get a decent curry in a big City. You can buy jars of sauce at any Supermarché, and probably get a reasonable 'gout' in any of the 'Curry en France' stalls which seem to be popping up all over. Indeed you may be lucky and think, "well we have a good curry house down the road...." well give me a tinkle! perhaps we should start a group 'Curry Link'?

In my experience, the just like home Resto curry, is rare, in these parts. Or has been. Some Charlatans, have come and gone, all wishy washy flavoured soup de Curry avec Riz. Poor service, dirty WC, you know the type!

NO sometimes, like a drug, you need a belter, something that will take the top layer of skin from the roof of your mouth, the sort of HOT Curry that can only be dampened by cooling cool cucumber and yoghurt dip, oh, and copious quaffs of cold Lager, ones that get you floating...hmmmmm....OM.

Mind you, a couple have opened and reopened this last year or so in our region, In Montpellier The Rajasthan, and its satellite in Cap D'Agde errr... the Rajasthan. The price of a 12 year old 306 per head, but wonderful.

But we were looking for something a little closer, someone mentioned these guys so we sent along the Secret Blogger to check it out.

Just arrived at Cap Blog Central...

An in depth 'Restotique' from The Secret blogger, who is rapidly gaining a reputation as the Midi's Michael Winner.

Hi Ed, just finished my last assignment, and woh, was I impressed. Being as British as a bowler hat, the 3 things I miss from ol' blighty, like you guys, is English beer, and a Decent curry.....er that's 2 things, OK I have another English beer then please!

Anyway, finding a restaurant that excels in traditional Indian cuisine is like looking for a needle in a rehabs' reception, in fact finding an Indian 'resto' anywhere in France is nigh on impossible. Plenty of Vietnamese, Turkish, Moroccan even French Macdo's nowadays, but Indian, as distinct from Asian? Non c'est trés Rare, monsieur'

I spoke to the young son ( Roger Alfred ) of the 7th Maharadja (Restaurant Le 7ème Maharadja ) in the Promenade AGDE, of the Langedoc region, who told me that the place had only opened this year and it had been a very promising start..... and that about half their clientele was British, the rest clearly French, or holiday makers in the Summer Season. The French tread with caution when approaching anything that is 'foreign, and seem to have a less resilient palette for the piquant, but once they have tried the cuisine they were hooked.

Well, I am hardly surprised, as I sat quaffing my 'Indian' ale, on the warm sun lit terrace, I noticed that all the food being prepared inside was clearly totally fresh. I was there with my secret assistant, and with-in minutes of ordering we were served with 'les entrées, a platter of 'light as a feather' onion bhajees, Samosas, lightly fried vegetable cakes, all served on a bed of fresh salad.. Roger hinted that there were additional portions, for our delectation. Perhaps he knew who I was?

The main course, chosen from the lunchtime menu, was veal in curry sauce, rice and a duvet sized Nan Fromage, was as good as any you would find in the curry epicentre of the universe, Birmingham.

As we chatted, between courses about his plans and family, he told us that the family Dynasty had hailed from the Punjab, and it really was a Family dynasty, everyone was there out side the restaurant, from grandad to the bouncing baby, all sporting the middle name of 'Arthur'. The menfolk only I gather.

It seems that the family (and builders) are currently creating what seems to be the Taj Mahal of a restaurant, a little up the road. A 5 story house, which used to house a 400 cover restaurant, is being completely refurbished for opening early in the new year. Paul clutched his heart as he described his vision of the interior. Well I certainly look forward to getting my Blogger's discount there next year, if I'm invited to the Grand opening. To round off a perfect meal was what I can only describe as Ambrosia, an Indian dessert, fit for a God, or the gods, Cinnamon Cake, dessicated coconut, honey and what ever other ingredients that went in to make this heaven for the taste buds, I was in Ecstasy. To finish a strong fresh coffee to enliven the senses, and the obligatory cacophony of fresh bits 'n bobs, as a mouth freshener, which judging by a knowing wink, also had aphrodisiac qualities. The whole bill around 35 euros, I was really impressed with the genuine all around attention to detail, a charming family, and excellent cuisine. Long may they prosper, I would recommend the establishment to any one, and wish them continued success with their expanding Empire.

Their number is 062444 83 83 or 06 49 85 03 58 tell them the secret Blogger sent you!

Yes I know what you mean, we know a guy who does have a superlative restaurant, genuine chef, fresh produce, and he 'talks' a good curry experience. It really is top notch, and in a superb setting, but a meal for two could buy you a moped! I guess that in the sit down situation, you do pay for the extras, ambiance, service etc; but you are there to have a good time so the battle is half won anyway.

Sometimes you have the meal, and the memory ( assuming it's good ). I must compliment you on your site Chris, it is very slick, and the prices surprisingly keen. I would have thought that logistics would have been a stumbling block, clearly not. Good on you!

Thanks Ronald - I agree, all the best of luck to them too - I've been to some genuinely terrible Indian restaurants in France who take advantage (especially in tourist areas) by charging high prices for food that is nowhere near authentic or even as good as the UK, so it's nice to see a genuine business providing good service.

Hi Chris,

I have indeed seen your site before, and I shall pass the link onto Mrs. Purse strings. The family mentioned in the blog were genuinely nice folk, I certainly wish them and you guys all the very best, and continued success.

Interesting post, in fact not long ago myself and my brother set up a business selling amazing curry into France - if you don't want to head to the takeaway every time you fancy something spicy, may I suggest you visit www.curryinfrance.com

But just being me, that was an interesting read, thanks :-)