House of Commons speaker says MPs should not be obliged to back Brexit

[Guardian]
John Bercow, the Speaker of the House of Commons, has said that it was an “opinion, rather than a constitutional fact” that MPs were obliged to vote through Brexit because of the referendum result. He commented, “There will be some members of parliament who say: ‘I want to be able at the end of all this if I’m not satisfied, to say no, to try to persuade other members of parliament to say no, and to hope that no might delay Brexit or prevent Brexit.’" He added: "Do they have a right to argue that point of view? They absolutely do.”
Excellent News at last!

Yes indeed, encouraging news.
Although true to form it seems to be brushing aside the fact that what the UK says it wants is not necessarily what will happen. Now that Article 50 has been triggered and the withdrawal date has been set,.the UK can’t delay or stop Brexit unilaterally, all 27 states would need to agree to a delay to the leaving date or to let them stay indefinitely and if so, under what conditions. After all the fuss and disruption and expense incurred, certain countries might be disinclined to agree to letting them stay without some kind of compensation or loss of privileges.

Apparently TM got nowhere with Merkel when she phoned her yesterday, I don’t think its been reported yet how her phone call to Macron went this afternoon but given everything he’s said to date it would be surprising if he was any more sympathetic. She’s having dinner with Juncker & Co this evening so we’ll see how that goes.

1 Like

They seem to be making some progress, but we are still held as bargaining pawns. We have not heard if TM has decided to let EU citizens enjoy the status quo as we are promised in the EU.
The recent statement by the Labour Chancellor that they were looking for a cross party coalition to stop a hard Brexit is also good news.
The Europhobes have been in charge of the asylum for too long.

1 Like

Actually the EU is not promising us British Expats the entire status quo, as they do not wish us to be able to continue to enjoy the right of ‘Onward Movement’ which we have at the moment. It is one of the sticking points in the talks as the UK Gov’t is trying to secure the maintenance of this right for us.

Additionally, bearing in mind that we all have the right to access health care on the same terms as a French citizen under PUMA, and the right to apply for a ‘Permanent residence’ Carte de Sejour anyway, I am having trouble in understanding the ‘bargaining pawns’ concept. Even with no Brexit Deal at all, all of us who have been here lawfully as our main place of residence for a few years will be just fine.

1 Like

So if we are living in France want to motor to Italy or Spain on holiday we would have to get a visa or pre reg on a website like USA ESTA. How are they going to know who is British at the border? They would have to stop virtually everybody to determine if they were British or not. Imagine the chaos at La Jonquera never mind the small isolated border points! Mad Hatters Tea Party

What happens with eg US and Aussies who live in France? The same procedures that apply to them would simply be extended to Brits, I guess. They seem to cope.

Is it not the case that when an Aussie or Kiwi are in France they will have a Schengen visa enabling them to visit any Schengen country without control? At the moment as EU citizens Brits may travel control free in Schengen, but this will change. Normally cars are just waved through at the Spanish or Italian borders, especially if they are French registered, even with Brits driving?

Message du 18/10/17 12:21
De : “Anna Watson”
A : david-john.rosemont@orange.fr
Copie à :
Objet : [Survive France] [Politics] House of Commons speaker says MPs should not be obliged to back Brexit

Anna Anna Watson

October 18

What happens with eg US and Aussies who live in France? The same procedures that apply to them would simply be extended to Brits, I guess. They seem to cope.

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

In Reply To

David Rosemont

October 18

So if we are living in France want to motor to Italy or Spain on holiday we would have to get a visa or pre reg on a website like USA ESTA. How are they going to know who is British at the border? They would have to stop virtually everybody to determine if they were British or not. Imagine the chaos…

I don’t think the matter is much of an issue as regards people travelling for relatively short pleasure trips / holidays, and indeed it would be virtually unenforceable from a practical point of view. However, where the question of the right of ‘Onward Movement’ becomes much more relevant post Brexit is when a UK citizen resident in France wishes to move their permanent home, or place of employment, to another EU country.

1 Like

Spot on Mr Hodge, doesn’t affect right to free movement travel wise just permanent movement, whereas same as other third country citizens you would indeed need a visa or a residency permit. The EU wants all EU citizens living in the UK and UK citizens living in the EU to continue to have all the rights they have now, wants it set in stone, wants it under the jurisdiction of the ECJ because they don’t trust the Brits to keep it so. I don’t trust them either. Already its EU citizens to register by October next year, their right to remain will depend on the supply of all the correct documents, and the right to remain may be refused if incorrect documents are supplied or the person is unemployed. I have no idea if by unemployed they also include EU citizens who have worked years in the UK and have accrued the right to benefits. This the EU would consider an infringement of their citizens rights.