How can you tell you're getting older?

Auntie Beeb have an article about the most popular streamed songs from 1952 to the present. I can recognise pretty much everything up to and including 2001, but after that it’s a complete blank.

Since I’m by no means one of the oldest here, who recognises songs after my cut-off date?

2 Likes

2011 Adele (of course) whom I adore - amazing woman
2018 Lewis Capaldi

And yes, I’m older than you. :slight_smile:

I don’t listen to any popular music stations, but just occasionally in other ways some of the more recent music wafts my way. That’s how I found Human and Rag’n’bone Man. If it is catchy / intrigues me, then what I do is add it to my Spotify playlist which currently runs to several days of music.

What I do find surprising is the choices in earlier years - although I remember them rarely are these my favourites from those artists - Billy Joel 1989 - really??? Beatles - 1969???

1 Like

When your memories of the old days only remember the good times.

Apparently I’m still young then. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

The choices here wouldn’t necessarily reflect my preferences for the period either, but different songs may well resonate for some now. I played a couple of years in a covers band, and in many cases would have chosen different songs from the artists whose work we copied.

1 Like

"It’s particularly fascinating to see which classic songs from the past are rated by today’s music consumers, and how that appeal can be driven by exposure on TV, adverts and social media," said Robert Gallacher, commissioning editor at BBC Radio."

Different generations have different tastes… whether it be food… music… or whatever.
These lists are from music which has been “streamed” by today’s folk in 2022…

Doesn’t mean I’m old because I’ve not “heard of” XYZ it just means that their offerings have not been judged worthy of note by my ears…
I’ve possibly heard 'em and mentally switched off…

Coming from a sort of “musical” family… my tastes have always been wide/varied
and as a teenager, with radio luxembourg playing in my ear while I pretended to be going to sleep… I could “name that tune” in 1 maybe 2 or 3 notes…

As an adult I generally know quite quickly… whether the artist has “that certain something”…
I introduced OH to the Norfolk music festivals… marvellous fun, year on year…
so pleased if/when the one maybe two OH and I’d “tipped” as future stars… did live up to that early promise… be it on stage, on tv or in the recording studios.

Nowadays, we enjoy watching The Voice in every country… on YouTube.
There is so much talent… and we enjoy pitting ourselves against the professional judges :rofl: :rofl:

EDIT: we haven’t had TV since in France… so don’t hear songs via adverts etc… hurrah

3 Likes

I do not know any of them after1989 I hope it is nothing serious

1 Like

Is it the case that the Samaritans put on extra staff when she is gigging. :grinning:

1 Like

Every day when I put on my socks, my feet are a little further away…

6 Likes

you obviously aren’t yet full-grown… still a youngster… :+1: :rofl: :wink:

The list of things that annoy me grows longer.

6 Likes

Anything from the '20s to mid '60s, though I do make some exceptions for the '70s, The Quo, Dexies etc. (were they '70s?), after that I am barely interested, except for Adele of course, what a great voice.

I think it is when the Stairway to Heaven seems to be becoming longer.

That very statement shows your still young! :grinning:

1 Like

Yes but the fact there is a highway to hell should tell you something. :joy:

1 Like

Not necessarily, I wanted something to play music for 15 minutes or so as I go to sleep and asked my son, who knows about such stuff, and he recommended Spotify.
So I signed up, picked my playlist but then discovered that it would keep playing on a loop all night long. Not exactly what I was looking for, so I asked them, in a chat session what could I do about it. Nothing, so I had to cancel and get my money back. Tried elsewhere, including Deezer who keep bombarding me with spam, no luck there either.

Have you thought of one of those Amazon Dot devices? I know you can create a playlist, and I know you can tell it to play something for a specified period of time, so I presume it’s possible (if you don’t have any objection to Alexa …).

@David_Spardo you can activate a sleep timer easily on spotify. You open the song title and click on the dots on the top right (on phone app), scroll down and you have the sleep timer. I regularly use it and it works well :+1:

1 Like

Indeed, but then All You Need IS Love to be sure of being on the correct pathway. :slight_smile:

@Porridge
Not keen on allowing Alexa into my life, I have heard she is a nosy and controlling so and so. :wink:

@letsmile I am sure I tried that and for one reason or another it didn’t work. Can’t remember now but I was certainly told by their help chatter that it was impossible. Perhaps because I don’t have a smartphone, for the app, but I do use an Android tablet, so I would have thought it would work if it had been available.

Sunday to Friday I keep up with the Archers podcast (before, not until, sleep) and on Saturdays I have a music app (how I got that I have no idea) on it which plays really lively music on some sort of reedy pipe followed by a short and gentle classical piece. The latter isn’t enough to send me to sleep but it does calm me down a bit ready for it after being unable to resist whistling along to the former. :rofl:

BTW @Porridge , and I don’t want to resurrect a reminder of some discord here from a while back, but I hope you don’t listen to the Archers. There has been a disconcerting, to me, storyline running recently about a young woman who accidentally got pregnant and has spent many episodes agonising over what to do. The agonising and the outcome is not what concerns me, more the almost complete absence of balance. Nuff said. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like