How many managed France alone?

I agree with all you said Annette,there is always a distance.When I used to take my dog for a walk in the wood,I always met and chatted with other dog walkers but noone ever asked where I came from,or why I was living here.I think they see it as rude to ask questions.I work for advertising agencies (freelance) and even though the people are very friendly,and I've worked for them for 20 odd years,I've never once been asked to have a coffee or a drink after work.This doesnt apply now as with internet I see noone,but before when I'd arrive for a brief at say lunchtime,it always surprised me that I wasn't asked to have a drink or suchlike.I'm in Paris close suburbs,however when I first came to France I lived in a small village near Sarlat,and I must say I was happy to move to Paris and just blend in,rather than be looked at suspiciously.My neighbours are lovely but they'd never think to come round just to chat. I've been going to a drawing class for 5 years and everyone runs off home straight after. I dont think this is because I'm foreign,I think they're like that among themselves.....but its sad that they don't have any curiosity.

Lyn, I think Languedoc Roussillon would provide what you're looking for. There are several major towns (Nimes, Montpellier, Sète, Beziers, Perpignan, etc.), beaches, and lots of wilderness to hike around. There are cheap flights to the UK from the airports in the region, too. The cost of living, outside of the major towns, is very reasonable.

That does sound awful, I am down in the Charente Maritime, very rural and very friendly .. I get swamped with veg during the growing season and it seems to me down here that as long as you try to speak the language and involve yourself in the odd local event they are very happy to have us around :) Cities are always harder I think .. London is ghastly !

I have lived here alone for 6 years, was widowed just after buying the house as a holiday home ten years ago. I have managed easily, made lots of friends and have the most amazing network of support should it be needed. To be fair I was a forces child and wife so used to living in Europe and getting on with things :) You need good friends, that is crucial, to laugh with and wail at when the wood isnt delivered etc. :)

Kate Potter

I guess I just have to fine the strength from somewhere then, its knowing how to go about new ways living in a country I have to find out everything about !

I did. It is much easier than coming over as a couple as one immediately loses one's maternal language as a means of communication and is forced to fast-track.

This was a couple of years ago when we had all the scaffolding up to do the new roof. We now have new tiles on it now and have changed the wood and the tiles on the wood shed too which used to leak.

The only real difficulty I had was with heating the place as when we came here we had no heating at all. But after the first winter we managed to install the log fire and all the pipework in the house which increased the temperature by about 25 degrees. It was about -5c inside in the first winter. Not sure how the lady who lived in here before us managed. We have now insulated all of the house and have finally got windows in on the second floor.

Shawn,

you are truly lucky to have such a neighbor!

What was the most difficult thing you had to deal with once you moved to France? (I know the language is huge thing), but is there anything else you can share with me?

She is a lovely lady ♥

She is always on the go. She has her own stall at the market on Wednesday morning with her grandchildren and she sells her homemade jams and chutney.

I told her that I'll give her some wine at Christmas as I have just begun homebrewing and she loves a glass of wine or two! Lol!

Yummm! I want some of those apples Shawn!

How sweet of her to walk that far ...what a nice lady!

She's my neighbour, although she lives about 3 kms away lol. She must be nearly 90 but she walks down to me once a week.

She came round last month with a huge hamper of apples that she had picked from her garden and carried all the way down to my house. If that was me I'd be out of breath.

I moved here with my boyfriend when I was 21 and we bought a house here. I knew some French from school but I learnt the majority here by immersing myself with the local community. We now live off the land and have just about completed renovating our house.

I found most things rather easy to sort out and if I was ever stuck then then Marie was always there to assist us etc. She comes round at least once a week now for a coffee.

Janice,

I just checked your blog and will spend more time reading it.....it sounds like you are enjoying your move to France!

Have a great evening!

Interesting question, Chris. I moved here alone, sort of, in April. My husband and I have lived apart, amicably, for years. When I decided I wanted to move from the States to France, he agreed to come with me for a few weeks to help me get settled in then he returned to the States. He’s back now for another short visit, but essentially I’m here alone. The biggest problem, I think, is a sense of isolation exacerbated by my not very proficient French. Most of the people in the village, ex-pats included, are couples but I’ve managed to make a few friends. I’m taking French classes because I think a better command of the language will be a big help. I’m living in a village at the moment, but thinking of moving to a larger town where there is more activity. Despite my lack of French, I’ve found the French people in the village to be very friendly and ready to help. One thing that has been of huge value, in fact I’m not sure I’d have managed otherwise, are the nightly Skype calls and emails to friends and family, this to me makes all the difference.
I’m blogging about my experience at travelingnovelist.wordpress.com.
Good luck with your new life, feel free to contact me privately. Best, Janice

Hi Chris,

Thank you and best of luck with the move!

Hi Fidi,

I only joined the site in August & am still in uk hoping to sell here.

Still wondering if & when I will be able to do it, being on my own is no real problem, its surviving the pitfalls of not being good at speaking French so well to be able to deal with the paperwork & forms for me !

I am somewhat older than you & it will be my forever/retirement home, hopefully something I have dreamed of for a long time.

You are an age I would encourage you to go for it !

All the best & keep in touch !

Chris

Hello Kristine,

I just joined the site, and as i am still browsing every bit of it I came across your post.

I am curious how you have manged the move alone?

I am planning a move there in a couple of years alone!!!

Yes, I plan to move there alone even if I have family there already there! Lyon, Grenoble and Paris!

Not sure yet why I plan on doing on my own but I guess part of it is being real independent person LOL

What can you share with me on your move! I may have an advantage as I am fluent in French!

I am curious and I hope you can have time to share your experiences!

regards,

Fidi

Hi Mary,

Makes me feel more positive hearing you saying that about changing countries, hopefully I will find a person to give me a little help & advice too !

Thanks !

yep, they see more reason in learning occitan than english at the moment!