How to get rid of a car help

Hi all I want to get my old car taken away have tried the ad in excetra but they will not get back to me for some reason cannot sell privately as just over 6 months of new CTso would have to have new one it works ok can anyone point me in right direction please thanks in advance

Hi David,

Interesting post, and I wonder if one of the folks who’ve had old cars in their yards, that they’ve arranged to have removed, would be the ones you’d want to hear from. You say the car works, but the CT is not up-to-date and thus can’t be sold. Am I right so far?

So, I’m wondering if you’d feel comfortable clarifying if perhaps you’d want someone to tow it to a garage for you? Or, tow it to…wherever just so it’s out of your yard and taken away so you won’t have to deal with it any more?

Another thought, is that, well I for one am not sure what ‘excetra’ is and so not sure why they would not get back to you, either. I’m no help with that. But, while we’re on topic of putting an ad in somewhere, why not try leboncoin? I should think that you might want to try leboncoin.fr since they have a section for putting up ads for things that people want to get rid of, if that’s what you wanted…? If so, do try posting an ad for someone to just come and pick it up without your charging them, so an ad in leboncoin that states that you’re interested in getting rid of it to someone who’ll take it off your hands, no money exchanged…

Good luck.

Hi Mary thank for your reply sorry I did not make it clear yes I have CT till 2020 but to sell car it has to be in 1st 6 months of CT so that runs out next week but you have to send paperwork 2 weeks before sale
so I would have to get new CT plus more insurance to much hastle and expence I just want to get rid of the car it runs ok they make it hard in France Excetera is free paper in english in Deux-Sevres

You might be able to sell it to a scrapyard… its bits and pieces must be worth something… they won’t need a CT…

As Stella says. Easiest would be to drive it to your nearest auto casse while it is still road legal. They may not give you anything for it, depends how old it is and whether there is any demand for the parts, but they will take it off your hands and issue a certificat de destruction which you can then take to your insurer to cancel your insurance. The scrapyard will need your carte grise and a copy of your passport to do the paperwork.
If you wait until the insurance runs out you risk ending up having to pay a scrapyard to collect it.

I’m a bit confused here. So the CT is still within the 6 month period? And what paperwork has to be sent where 2 weeks before sale?? That’s new to me.

Does your car still run? If you need to scrap it then you can drive it to a licenced scrap yard. Or they might collect. This is a list of them - https://immatriculation.ants.gouv.fr/Documents-Pro/Referentiels/Centres-VHU

You cannot sell a vehicle privately for “spares or repair” but you can get another CT done & sell it even if it does not pass - the test has to be less than 6 months old as you state but less than 2 months old if it fails.

Isn’t it worth mentioning what it is? Somebody on here might be interested in it.