How to sell part of a property?

Hi all,

A bit of advice needed, please. We are in the unfortunate position, for health reasons, to have to sell our property, or part thereof. If we could sell an attached barn we could possibly proceed with work on the main house we must do to make it disabled-friendly. My question is, in general, how does one go about “splitting” a property legally so one part of it can be sold? Thanks in advance.

Hi Katherine…

We sold a house and kept the garage and half the garden. Organised things through the Notaire and the Geometre.

The Geometre officially measured-up and put in bornes to show the new boundaries and arranged for both the new plot numbers to be changed on the Cadastre. We then put the house on the market…

I f you ask him the Geometre will divide (if necessary) your plot into 2 and give out new numbers… you can then sell-off the one plot and keep the other, all done through the Notaire in the usual way.

Having just read the bottom of your post about the disabled stuff… there might well be aid available to do this sort of work… to avoid selling the barn (not easy in today’s market)

why not ask the Assistant Sociale or whoever…

perhaps someone has some info on this…

Thank you, Stella. All good advice. I’m keeping notes and I appreciate your input.