How traditional French Camembert is made

Hi everyone, this is fascinating. I love a runny creamy cheese and this looks amazing. Has anyone ever tried this marque?
Izzy x

1 Like

Hereā€™s the lady who invented Camembert:
mh

2 Likes

Hi Anna, yes sheā€™s mentioned in that little film. Were you visiting or do you live near there?
Thanks
Izzy x

That particular one she was cutting open on the picnic table is hideously unripe :astonished:

2 Likes

Hi Vero, I agree and wouldnā€™t want to eat one like that. I like it somewhere between that and the very liquid one they showed.
Izzy x

I live a few minutesā€™ walk from that statue.
Marie Harel is my local celeb :grinning:
And baked camembert with a variety of chutneys and relishes is one of my fave quick snacks.

1 Like

One of my aunts in the Var years ago cut a bit out of a camembert which had seemed promising but turned out to be chalky, so she put it on top of the fridge to ripen a bit and obviously it was forgotten about (because tall fridge, stuff to do etc) - anyway my cousin and I very much enjoyed peeling long ribbons of lovely perfect camembert-inside off the sides of the fridge and eating them, it is amazing just how much there is in a camembert :grin:

2 Likes

Yeeeeeeeerrrruuuuuuk.

Doing it is one thing, reading about it doing it something eeeuuurrrrrlessss. :scream::woozy_face:

Small children will eat anything :grinning:

1 Like

Of course, I carelessly missed the ā€œyears agoā€ tag VĆ©ro, and your ā€˜inner childā€™ is ever-present anyway. I have an obnoxious portfolio of regressive tics that I shudder to contemplate, but stlll gleefully abandon myself to even in my dotage.

Strangely, something tells me they may yet have survival valueā€¦ :thinking::wink:

1 Like

Fascinating! What surprises me is the way, with little variation in ingredients, method or anything else, so many different sorts of cheese can be made.

Sad that the raw milk varieties are dying out, though you can still get one in a UK Tesco!

1 Like