How will YOU spend Christmas?

Will you follow the traditions of your home country [and if so, what does that mean?] or will it be Noël à la française?

We actually talked about Christ and the construction of the mythology that has made Christmas. That it should be more like late March rather than a scheme to undermine/destroy the dominance of the pagan midwinter celebration and then move it forward four days to further dissociate it was what we were obliged to explain. That was because our 10 year old daughter who (don't ask exactly how) became attracted to Buddha when she was two which became firmly implanted by being sown in her mind during a trip that included Thailand where she had had her second birthday. She thinks all of the Judao-Christian-Islamic traditions are too violent! On conclusion of the discussion, she suggested we say Christmas for her sister but that we no longer observe established ideas. Very interesting. As otherwise secular parents who will say atheist to make our point, but who are aware of the importance of all belief systems and thus share the days of particular festivals, including wishing people a happy Diwali, Eid or whatever the case to respect their beliefs, in fact we find that in reality the majority are far closer to how we are than practising any belief.

For all of that, we too wish everybody a happy festive season and a great 2014!

I am glad I started this discussion. Thank you all who contributed - it's really interesting reading. I'm tickled by the thought that even those who don't "do Christmas" actually do, in the sense that they do something special. It seems that Jesus affects everyone somehow... Although now French resident, we spent Christmas in Bournemouth, with our eldest daughter [and her sisters] in her new home: the first time in 35 years it's not been "chez nous". Midnight Communion at Christchurch Priory [not so much High Church as Stratospheric!]; champagne and smoked salmon bagels for breakfast, Christmas dinner with turkey when it was eventually ready; silly board games - you know the routine, I'm sure! Next year we are thinking of doing the 12 course French Christmas Eve meal but will have to miss out on midnight Mass as there is no church near enough. [Unless the moon is blue and the local village church therefore open!]

Happy New Year everyone.

It'll be Noel à la Française for us, I'm used to going to hubby's parents for Christmas all the kids bring there kids over for a huge wonderful meal with a beautiful table set for us all. Where it differs from British Christmas is the big meal is on Christmas eve and they open the presents at midnight!!

A gigot, Weihnachtsstolle and/or (suet free) Christmas pudding (both but choice), lots of old musicals, board games with our girls and late getting up. Phone and Skype with family.

We have a piece of kind local veal (we wave to the calves and bullocks when we're out walking) in the freezer which we'll eat on Christmas Day.

My wife will try to ring her mother in Australia. Her mother in Australia will be out. She may try to ring her atheist uncle, who will be in but may or may not answer the phone depending on his mood.

That's as much as I know so far!