How's the Weather?

It’s surprising lovely outside at the moment, bright and warm despite the forecast.

We have just had a really heavy downpour of hailstones, everything was white outside for a while. This gave way to heavy rain, then a storm and now one half of the sky is blue and the other half a menacing greeny-purple! Poor animals and plants/trees, they don’t know what is happening…
My friend who lives 1 km away never had the hailstones, just some light rain … mad, mad, mad !

2 Likes

Those skies worried me at sea Ann, look like a livid bruise, not a good portent :roll_eyes:

1 Like

My one and only time at sea with weather that bad Bill was so terrifying that I hope never to repeat it ! I really thought it was the end, a ferry in the Philippines that I was sure would turn turtle, all the passengers ‘throwing up’ and praying. 4 attempts to make harbour, including going back out and coming in on another ‘tack’. Not enough lifejackets to go around, all the outer doors closed to prevent the sea entering …I’m here to tell the tale but hats off to all sailors ( be they fishermen, ferry companies, cruise liners, or yatchsmen) who brave the seas.
I love seeing the tall masted ships and cutters, but when I visited the Cutty Sark, many years ago, and saw the living quarters I understood why there were ‘press gangs’ !

3 Likes

Arghhh – I thought 17 was supposed to enjoy a sunny micro climate? Back to my drawing board.

This is the longest period of wet weather we have ever known and have barely seen the sun for months.

If you’re thinking of moving here I’d rent first and see if you like it.

I don’t live in 17… but whenever I visit I am always struck by its gentle climate… but, yes, renting and looking around is a good way of getting a proper feel for things… :relaxed:

Things have changed in the last few years Stella and we do not have defined seasons anymore, we used to have cold crisp winters with plenty of sunshine but this has given way to months of dull, wet but mild weather with the odd cold snap. We’re already into the rental season and have swimming pools on the go but they sit unused as the weather is just miserable.

I heartily agree about the loss of definite seasons… that seems to be throughout France now. :zipper_mouth_face:

I would love to have a pool… but it would have to be indoors and steaming… I like my creature comforts nowadays… :relaxed:

A few years back we went swimming in the river nearby… brrrrrr… the sun was baking and the water was absolutely freezing… yet we were the only ones who seemed to notice… I reckon everyone else was well tanked-up on eau de vie…:rofl:

1 Like

I used to swim to i n Windermere after a few beers at Storrs Hall.
That was cold.

2 Likes

The same here in the Clunysois of south Burgundy.
It has been the wettest winter for ages.
We have had our coffee and lunch today on the terrace once each.
It was blowing a hooley from the East last night and had to close my window. There was a watery sun in the sky when I started this post, but it has disappeared now.
All this bad weather from the East, perhaps Putin has a new meteorological weapon?

3 Likes

Some sun, but raining a lot! Worst April I can remember in France. Our lawn is under two inches of water!

Cool, generally overcast skies, frequent showers of light rain, potager wet and at present doesn’t invite any plantings. On the other hand three small trees we planted last year, a magnolia, a decorative maple that has looked forlorn all winter, and a crab-apple have all come into bud, despite the frosts we had. Our old cherry tree has come into flower. I am telling myself that 80 is the new 50, and half believe my own cheerful self déception.

Our daughter visits next week, that will be a very welcome ray of sunshine, and she will bring a blessing to our garden as always, and the home.

1 Like

Can’t even recall a worse winter in SE England. It’s depressing, but next weeks forecast sounds promising…at the moment.

2 Likes

Same here in SE 56 Chris, looks better for 2wks, hope it stays after that Madam is on hol for 2wks after that :crossed_fingers:

2 Likes

We have quite distinct seasons here although like elsewhere it’s been a wet winter. We are far enough inland to miss out on the maritime influence that affects Charente Maritime, their winter temperatures tend to be several degrees warmer than here and the summer’s several degrees cooler. It’s interesting in the summer driving inland from the coast in the evening watching how the temperature rises as you get farther east despite the hour getting later.

You remind me of a well-used saying in our family, when I was a child… “It’s all a Russian plot.” …:relaxed:

2 Likes

Looks like summer may be just around the corner. The forecast says we will be having sunny weather and 23 degrees next week in the Southern Tarn. That’s more like it :sunglasses:

1 Like

Sunny and warmish, in SE 56, got me in the garden :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Torrential rain here yesterday. The river burst it’s banks and flooded adjacent fields and the roads were treacherous. Watery sunshine today :sun_behind_large_cloud:

I will know when the good weather arrives when I no longer feel the need for knee high socks in the morning :socks:

2 Likes