Hub too far away!

I brought a lovely big telly over to France and would like to hook it up to my internet so my problem is my open plan sitting / dining room is 130m2 and my hub is at one end and the telly right at other end ? Does any one have any ideas how to connect hub to the telly as to move either one isn’t possible ?many thanks in advance .

These with a couple of ethernet cables Morag… The signal runs through your mains wiring, you can use them all over the house.

2 Likes

The alternative is if your telly has a WiFi interface (our Samsung has both wired and WiFi interfaces).
You can configure it by going into the telly settings and selecting the appropriate option entering the WiFi key which will connect your telly to the router.

1 Like

+1 for the two ideas above, I was going to suggest both in a longer reply but, when I looked at my phone realised I had not hit “send”, duh.

Is it still the case that CPL don’t work through extension outlets (multi-plug extension sockets) ? In other words, you need to get pass-through CPL boxes which have an integrated plug socket in them (like in the link you posted) , and then plug the extension cable plug into it.

1 Like

They are not as good - and do not work at all through any sort of filtered extension (often sold as particularly beneficial for computer equipment).

The early models did not have a socket pass-through but these are fairly common nowadays (but I would not advise them for appliances of more than a few hundred watts).

1 Like

Google Fritz power line set 1220E
I have a pair and they work seamlessly.

I’m a bit surprised that you can’t connect your tv to your router if they’re in the same room, even if it is 13m by 10m (or - unlikely - 26m by 5). Are you confident there’s nothing wrong with your router (or the tv)?

I don’t think the OP has tried yet @Porridge the TV is in France and they are currently in the UK.

“I brought a lovely big telly over to France and would like to hook it up to my internet”.

Otherwise, maybe we are trying to solve a problem which may not exist? :smiley:

Hi sorry my front room is 130 metre sq so it’s quite a distance from router . Thank you though .

Yes she did bring it over to France but is just forward planning for when she next comes over. Hopefully the issue will be resolved from the information provided.

Not sure that message was intended for me @Morag_White

What a clever idea!

1 Like

It is and … it isn’t

They are generally flexible, easy to set up and make use of existing wiring - but they are not perfect.

The biggest disadvantage is that their speed is variable and dependant on the quality of the wiring, they don’t work well on different circuits, you can’t mix and match different models (even if there is theoretical compatibility in practice it doesn’t work well, or at all), they are susceptible to - and cause - interference and they are fairly expensive (compared to Ethernet cable and sockets) - oh and if you have more than two bandwidth is shared so they aren’t great for connecting lots of bandwidth hungry devices.

That said I have used them both in the UK - where I have 3 in use and in France where I had  two in use but at the moment they in the “useful bits” box as I pulled some Ethernet cable.

If you can get a run of Ethernet cable installed you will have a much better and more reliable connection - luckily the French house had existing ducting that I could use to get some Cat6 where I needed sockets.

2 Likes

We’re using Netgear Orbi units to spread the wifi throughout the house and they seem to work well.

Don’t those kind of plug-in wifi repeaters also split the available bandwidth from the main router though? In other words, the more points you have, the lower the bandwidth made available through that point ?
My experience with wifi repeaters (including Netgear ones) so far has been, underwhelming, to say the least. Perhaps it just the configuration of the houses I’ve lived in, or perhaps the metal cage plasterboarded walls cause some kind of signal dispersion/blocking effect, but I have yet to find a solution that provides me with all the bandwidth I need, in all places, at one time. Unfortunately, hard wiring, like I had installed in a previous house, is also impractical in my current one, so am resigned to wifi.

I don’t know if they split the total available bandwidth but they do help to spread the coverage throughout the house to cover the three floors and surface area.
Also used a smaller Netgear to extend wifi onto the patio and it was simple to set-up and effective i.e. it did what it was supposed to.

I would be very surprised if signal from one side of a large room cannot be received the other side.

Is there some form of interference?

Perhaps try another channel on the router?

Paul, they are perfectly adequate.

Writing as one who when rebuilding our family home back in 2001 put a patch panel in the garage and ran at least one bundled cable (US sourced) containing two RJ-11, two CAT 5e and two fibre to every room I can say it’s a total waste of money.

Improved WiFi and Delovo stuff is more that sufficient.