I need help

I need help please, my husband is very seriously ill in Marmande hospital and unfortunately I do not understand what they are saying to me, if someone could phone them as my translator I would be very grateful.

Margaretā€¦ sorry to hear of your plight and your husbandā€™s illness.

I doubt if the hospital will give much detail (if any) to a strangerā€¦ but if we forumites can help in any wayā€¦ I am sure we willā€¦

Is there anyone out there who speaks/understands French well over the phone ('cos I am naff) ???:thinking::thinking::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

It must be doubly stressful if you canā€™t communicate with the medical staff.

Iā€™m surprised that non of the doctors speak enough English to at least try to explain what is going on.

Iā€™m afraid that my spoken French is not good enough to help but if you need any written medicalese translating from either English or French into everyday language I can probably give it a go.

2 Likes

@Margaret_Kent

Just a thought, have a word with your own Doctor . It is quite usual for the Family Doctor to find out what is happening to a patient in Hospitalā€¦ and then the information can be passed on to you. If you contact your Surgery and explain the urgencyā€¦ it is more than likely that your Doc can solve your problemsā€¦

1 Like

Stella is right, they wonā€™t give any information on the phone to a stranger (secret professionnel). You really need to have somebody going with you to the hospital who can translate.

1 Like

Yes, I suppose soā€¦ unless Margaret can be in the hospital and hand the phone to the staff ā€¦ with the translator on the lineā€¦ would that work, do you think ??

Iā€™ve made the dash to hospital myself, many times, to help folk at such timesā€¦ but Marmande is rather a long way awayā€¦ :thinking:

1 Like

Margaretā€¦ having given this some thoughtā€¦ I think there are 3 lines of enquiryā€¦

1. speak with your own Doctor
  2. find a french/english-speaking person to go with you

If all failsā€¦speak to your Mairieā€¦ I have known instances when the Secretaire has somehow ā€œcut through red tapeā€ to help folk in real distressā€¦ Having said thatā€¦ privacy will be respected, but help will surely be found.

Anyone else want to chime inā€¦

Hello Margaret

There must be someone in the hospital that speaks enough English to give a basic explanation.

Do you speak enough French to ask if there is someone at the hospital who can help? If not Iā€™m sure someone on here can tell you what to say and then you can write it down and show the doctors.

Maybe the doctors will write down for you what is happening and then you can reproduce that on here or show it to someone who can translate or, at the very least, type it into Google translate.

Another alternative is that Cancer Support France may be able to help. I am in contact with one of their volunteers and there is a branch in Lot et Garonne where I see you are living. They donā€™t just help people with cancer they will also help people with other very serious medical problems. I attach a link below and you should maybe give them a call and see if they can send someone to the hospital to help you.

I know how you feel as Iā€™m in a similar situation but am fortunate enough to have sufficient French to communicate with the medical team. I wish you all the best.
https://lot-garonne.cancersupportfrance.org/lot-garonne-home

1 Like

Margaret, can I help? Iā€™m about 40 mins away from Marmande but if nobody else comes forward Iā€™m happy to accompany you there. I doubt they will give me information over the phone but it may be worth a try.

9 Likes

There is a ā€œservice socialā€ in hospital, they might be able to guide you ?
Here is their email adress : service.social@chicmt.fr

2 Likes

Thank you all for your kindness. I had another thought when was I looking out the window my neighbours grandson is French but speaks a little english so he phoned the hospital for me and now I know exactly what the problem is. If he gets through tonight then hopefully he will be on the mend.

6 Likes

Margaret I messaged you with my phone number. If you get stuck then please ring and Iā€™ll help if I can. Meanwhile, my best wishes to you and prayers and thoughts for your husband xx

3 Likes

Well, I reckon we are all crossing ourselves, fingers and toesā€¦ on his behalf.

Deep breath, keep coolā€¦ we are all rooting for you and for him.

xx Stella

1 Like

Thank you Sandy how kind of you. Yes I think a lot of prayers are needed.

Thanks Stella it is really nice of you. I think tonight a couple of glasses of wine are in order.

2 Likes

Just an ideaā€¦ would you want to stay at the hospital tonightā€¦ if that is possible?? Something perhaps the ā€œgrandsonā€ could askā€¦ if you wish itā€¦

Whateverā€¦ my thoughts are with youā€¦ :hugs:

My thoughts are with you Margaret, believe me your OH is in the best of hands.
I have been in the same position (several times) with a loved one seriously ill in hospital so can understand what you are going through.
Hope that there is someone who can keep you company during this time , if only to help while away the long hours. A glass of wine or two (in moderation) will maybe help you relax, as Stella and others have said we are all rooting for you both ā€¦

2 Likes

Thank you Ann and Stella, no I do not think I can stay in Marmande, I am on my own probably best, dont want others watching me crying.

I have to say I am not good at asking for help.

I can understand that too Margaret, but with a serious situation like this then a little ā€˜call outā€™ to others can help.
I am sure that if you knew someone in the same situation then you wouldnā€™t hesitate to offer a helping hand.
This forum is a great place where we can talk about different subjects, have different points of views, even be a bit ā€˜nigglyā€™ on occasions with others. At the end of the day though there is always someone ready to listen, give advice and rally around. That to me is very important.
I know what you mean about not ā€˜giving wayā€™ in front of others, I was always raised not to show my feelings. Have a drink, have a weep but know that there will always be someone on here ready to listen and help where possible.
Very warm thoughts and positive vibes from me to you x