Ice Age 4

No, not rich ENOUGH for Locarno... Sicily perhaps, where they'll keep him in check!

I'd like that but I'm not so sure he's finished yet, we'll see the reaction later this week, will Italy want him there anyway, perhaps he'll end up in the Ticino to keep Carla happy!

Yep, Sarko, even after he's made a quick exit and decided to retire to his Italian home for safeties' sakes.

When we visit family in Carcassonne we never go via the montagne noire in winter but via revel, it's longer but avoids often bad conditions - thinking of you up there Celeste! doing the french press with students today - they don't read a thing (either here in France or in China) unless I set them tasks like presenting an article they've read in the French press - it's like trying to wade through thick snow (or treacle but I thought I'd keep it up to date!) Got to go through all that regional -v- national media thing...! 72 names for snow, not sure I know that many in any language! well it's almost completely disappeared again here, all gone in the space of a few hours! Summer's going to be a real corker after this spell, get ready for a 40° heat wave like 2003, this is the what global warming is all about - more extremes and more extreme weather - let's blame Sarkozy for that too ;-)

With you there! In fact I am considering getting up a petition to Sarko demanding a better summer so that if he wins again he can be blamed for that if it doesn't happen, just to add to his woes.

nihau! now at uni and they're all here sitting in front of me, better get on then...!

Nihau! Class is in...

I obviously moaned at them too much last time they didn't come in and I did, from the next département too! Just phoned and the free bus is running in Figeac no problem and they're all in the classroom (maths until 11h00 then me until 18h00!) so looks like I better get myself sorted and try and get the car out of the courtyard and down the slope to the road!

Heehee, Chinese. I was with UNICEF in Beijing February through to April exactly 10 years ago and remember what two cms did to the whole city. I walked 20 mins from my digs and my natioanl research team phoned in from less than 5 minutes away to apologise. Admittedly some came from the warm SE where snow is unknown but basically Beijing upward and then E and W is close to Siberia, say no more. However, China basically closes down, so I know where they are at there.

Mine are on holiday already (zone A) so no hassles there. Take it easy in the car, I'll phone a little latter and see if the buses are running in Figeac, if they are I'll have to go in! just worried about the return journey as they're forecasting pluie verglassante and I don't want to find myself stuck 30km from home with a while load of chinese students...!

0800 here now and snow stopped. just got girls up and will take them to school in a while, but fog coming down so slow journey. france bleu perigord reporting lots of road accidents in the area... ooooh oh. But OH and I must work and that means they go!

Celeste and Brian... we've got some snow!!! a mere couple of cm but it's covered everything, not so sure it's enough to stop me going to work though but it might be enough to keep my students at home...!

Got up early today and even now 0620, it is still snowing although our forecast said a few showers. Don't think I have a school run today...

I agree with you Celeste - they should have thought it through properly, I think too many believed/hoped that the heaters etc would be enough! Bloody great cock-up and a real shame, as you both say, for all those who had travelled there. now is it going to snow enough tonight so I don't have to go and do another 6 hours with my chinese students again tomorrow...!

Loved the bit about how many Irish folk turned up for the match and that fortunately they would get a replacement ticket or money back. What about the flight, hotel and so on? Ref being English might well have done a re-enactment of a famous scene from history when this chap Yeshua and a couple of linesmen were nailed to some corner posts at the top of a hill in a far away country!

@Celeste, I was watching the build up and the French commentators getting all excited, had to pop upstairs because my kids weren't sleeping and were playing up, when I rushed back down to see the match there was a film on!!! - wasn't the french, they'd done everything to thaw the pitch which had worked but it froze again once uncovered and the English ref took the decision 3 minutes before kickoff to cancel - furious people everywhere! Most French people had to travel just as far too as nearly all supporters come from down here in the SW!

Waiting for the snow tonight...!

Good point, I sat here screaming for Italy and my kids thought I was in pain. Give it another few years and they'll shock the pants off the lot. Scotland will have their turn again, if they chnage those lousy, useless managers and selectors!

have to admit I thought it was a gutsy performance, I've seen worse (England -v- Italy!!!)

Thanks Celeste, I am a realist and gave our team not a hoot(s mon) in Hell's chance for the whole tournament. The managers are worth replacing at present, or putting out in a nice wee Heeland blizzard to cool their silly heads.

My kids are complaining because it is all patchy, crystal ice rather than snow and where there is a good bit the dogs seem to have got there first to punctuate it with brown... Yeah, when I get up in the night I am in tee-shirt, bare feet and nicks and go out to get in wood for fire and stove, but then dive back in bed with a heater up full blast which puts me back to sleep in seconds. Thaw welcome, up every 60-90 minutes bleeding water is getting into my system. At least the coordinated system in the two hamlets has worked and the main has not frozen (and burst) as it has with less extreme conditions in the past. The emergency service training was not for nothing...