Ideas for the winter months in France

Whew! Dilemma.
Why not just stop there.
Put the rest into a novel with names changed to protect the innocent, fudge the characters. Then you can put in lots about the times and events without revealing the details you’d like to keep private
Time to go back and edit perhaps. Takes time, is fun and harmless.

Phil, i'm a good three-hour drive from Toulouse as well as a good two-hour drive to Bordeaux but I regularly make the effort in winter with the same snow a fog etc to visit these places and elsewhere to watch sports events and music concerts. It hasn't killed me yet in fact, it takes time but the effort is well worth it if only to find a bit of culture. I'm in a cultural desert but it doesn't stop me having a life.

Hi Joan,

Interesting about your life story. About a year ago I realised just how little I knew about my father so I set out to write 'my story', warts 'n all for my son. I'm probably about half way through and although it is great fun and it does indeed occupy my time when I set to work and yes, it does bring back oodles of memories but, I will soon be arriving at the point where I met my sons' mother. I've realised that it could possibly be 'damaging' for him to learn the absolute truth about our relationship so what do I do, tell it 'warts 'n all' or tell a few porkies to not upset him ?

Do you know many people like those you describe?

I wonder if any Americans would like films with you in them.

Fine Alan - your 'small issues', your choice....just stay in.

You know what folks ? You can always find a reason NOT to do something - that attitude just simply stops you living.

Save me from the 'ahhhh but....ahhhh but....ahhhh but' brigade. Crikey!

I wouldn't drive over the hill to Carca either, you've got Castres much closer, straight road and all you need. Live top14 rugby in a not too bad stadium, great swimming pool and ice skating rink too ;-)

Simon,

True, but there are two small issues: I don't like movies with Americans in them, and the road from here to Carcassonne is often closed due to fog and black ice during the Winter.

Alan

Skiing trips

Scrabble

but best of all a couple of months in Southern Spain

Hi Phil,

Sorry to hear you are at a loss as to how to occupy yourself in a French winter. I cannot help you there with suggestions as we do not do anything exciting although we seem to be be occupcied the whole time. We do not frequent bars or groups as we are quite happy doing our own thing in our own house and garden. Like I said, nothing exciting but we are content.

I spend a lot of my time researching my family history which is totally absorbing as well as transcribing parish records for others to use, that really takes up the time but it does make me feel as though I am doing something to help others who research away from the parish in question and have to rely on online records.

I also knit and crochet quite a lot and would therefore be interested in your wool cache or at least some of it. I am in 82 also. I have asked you to be my friend so we can discuss it offline. Where abouts are you?

Winters can be cold here but other days are crisp and clear and quite warm in the sunshine. We get quite a lot of fog, in fact every day from 11th November until17th inclusive we had fog and then yesterday was very warm and clear, nice today too so I will garden this afternoon.

I agree there is not a lot for those that seek a social or cultural life in this area but it is very rural and peaceful.

Hope you find something that interests you soon as winter is nearly here.

Hi Phil,
My ideas,
write your life history, for fun.
Do the writerly thing and set up a schedule wherein you write or ponder, then before or after you take a long walk.
In the sunny afternoon you read by a window or outside.
In the evening light some candles, or your fire.
Take a trip somewhere new once a week, not at weekend.
Invite old friends to fly in. Chauffeur them around, you being a tourist with them. Invite photographers who will help you see the beauty of a winter landscape.
And then, help us amateurs to negotiate the world of publishing. Please set up a website. Also, volunteer your editing skills online to debutante writers.
If you review the logistics of what I propose you won’t have time to think much before the snowdrops are pushing through.
Good luck.

I’d forgotten swimming too. I’m lucky, my local town has just opened a brand new complex with indoor and outdoor pools plus other facilities.

Hi Alan,

We have no cinemas or theatres within 1.5 hours and a drive on small, windy roads in the dark in the winter is a no. We have not joined in any (if there are any) expat groups. The main one I see revolves around the local bar- not a criticism. Very true what you say about local events, most happen in the summer and we find out months later. There used to be an update of events in January each year on the village website, but that has stopped. When we first arrived we were invited by a an expat neighbour to a dinner party and made the decision that we did not move to France to regularly spend 5 hours at dinner parties. We do travel a lot, so are a bit of outsiders on the local social scene and most of our contact is with French neighbours in the village.

My main problem is, that I was so lucky to do a job I would have done as a hobby and I worked in it for a very long time and was fortunate to be able to continue to do so for the first three years we lived here. So when I decided to call it a day I cut off almost all contact from my last paid working day So that was it, no hobbies and the terrible nagging thought each day of "what did I achieve today?". What worries me is that most days I cannot remember what I have actually done never mind what I achieved.

I was paid to read and write and can easily continue to do so. But the reason why we moved to France was to be able to make a new start and give up the old life. The house and garden are as good as they will ever be.

I would not give up on house sitters, we have only out of about 30 had one bad lot. Because we had never had any real problem we were maybe a bit too trusting and as they had as we thought good references, we took a chance even although when they arrived we both agreed afterwards there was a doubt. Have plenty of email or phone contact before and ask questions, questions, questions. Do make them pay a security deposit. Then if you feel you have common interests you should be problem free. Do not be taken into thinking that an older couple are more trusted than a younger couple.

Your mention of DVDS has given me a job that will occupy a few days. We have hundreds of them so this afternoon I will start sorting them and putting them on a spreadsheet.

Cheers

Simon, you didn't mention swimming! My only wish for our local town (Riberac) is that the municipal swimming pool was indoors and open all year. I would be there every day!

I understand that it is possible to cocoon swimming pools, tennis courts etc. in a heated 'bubble' for cold months, but haven't seen it in France?

Just realised, I’ve spent the morning cooking. For me that’s seasonal. A necessity during the summer but an interest and hobby in the winter months.

Just a tad too far - I am in 24 - but if we head South I may make contact again!

sorry, why what...?

Why?

Well said Andrew! I'd assumed Jennifer lived in France - my mistake :-)