If you HAD to move back to UK (due to Brexit)....where would you choose?

Geoff glad it’s not only happening to me lol. Or is it because of me? :disappointed: :blush:

My sister lives in a lovely part of tamworth. I just love going to her home… it’s not far from the canal with beautiful walks and lots of little pubs on the walk :blush::blush::blush:The tame otter in hopwas is my favorite though … had many good evenings there lol. And some good lunches too.

1 Like

I would probably go to Devon where my mum and brother live,Sidmouth ,Honiton,Ottery St Mary area.
It is a beautiful part of the country.
I grew up in Wolverhampton in the Black country( so not quite Brummie) and last year drove up with my mum to revisit the areas I remembered and was absolutely bowled over by the beauty of the countryside around Stourport on Severn,Bewdley,Much Wenlock(where mum was born) Bridgenorth,( Brewood where my grandparents hailed from) and Shrewsbury.
Although Wolverhampton itself we always thought of being a bit of a dump it is surrounded by countryside even Devon would find hard to match(excepting the coastal areas of course)

thing is Carol, as I alluded to in my post, not many of us could afford to live in a nice house in Devon!
We live in a lovely 4 bed house in a lovely village in Aude. It is worth about 200k.
what could I buy in UK for that?
:slight_smile:

A few years ago we did the Stourport Ring, 105 locks along the Midlands canals. It was a beautiful way to see both the urban and rural Midlands. My father really enjoyed it as it brought back so many memories for him.

Teresa
my aunt and uncle used to run a local authority holiday centre(ex army camp) for schoolchildren from the Dudley area, near Stourport on Severn,so we would often visit as kids,didn’t appreciate then the beauty of the place.
Geoff,after owning a house in France for 16 years,and following my divorce I looked to buy for about a year around my village but as was too expensive had the" bright "idea of buying in Devon(a small terraced house under your budget) and using the letting income to pay for rental here until my sons had left home and I could decide where I wanted to move to In France
Of course that was the year before Brexit,so my plan backfired rather(especially as I’ve applied for French citizenship),can’t make any real decisions (as funds low) until I know if I will be entitled to a French Pension(EU aggregated pension) next year depending on how we leave the EU(if)and if the pound recovers.
I may need to move back for a while to be near my mother also ,so would stay with her on the East Devon coast if needs be

1 Like

Why don’t you all move to North Wales…it’s very much like Midi-Pyrénées and even though everyone speaks English, Welsh is the second language! So keep Brains active by learning another Lingo!

Hello Kathryn and Welcome to the forum…

This is a light-hearted thread… as you will have guessed from the property listed for sale in the first post…

Whereabouts in France are you… and if your HAD to go back to whichever country you came from… where would you choose ???

A long time ago I went on holiday in Wales with my girlfriend. The idea was to spend a few days walking in Snowdonia then move onto Tenby for a few days on the coast. The weather in the north was miserable for the whole time we were there but when we arrived on the south coast it was delightful. Memories of that holiday would put me off considering north Wales for a full time home. :slight_smile:

Welcome @Kathryn_Humphrys :slight_smile:

Thank you for the Welcome…we are in the Tarn…part-time (6 months) wish we could move here full time, but if that’s not going to be, then we would choose beautiful coastal North Wales as it closely resembles the quiet roads and landscapes of this area. The Cardigan coastal area has much higher sunshine ratio than the Mountain areas of N.Wales.

3 Likes

Hi Kathryn, which bit of the Tarn are you in

We are close to Albi.

The Mermaid, Barmouth Gwynedd!

1 Like

I would move to Stamford, Lincs as it is close to the UK’s main food industry and primary production. Hopefully unlike how the industry has been these last 15 years, someone would be willing to give me a job in it.

I am spending the night in Shopshire near the Wrekin. It not an area I have visited before but it is stunning

1 Like

Growing up in Wolverhampton in the sixties it was not uncommon to hear people saying"he really went round the Wrekin",probably meaning he took the long way round or it took him ages to get to wherever he was going,I can remember seeing it on a clear day from my bedroom window .It was a local landmark.
If I had family still living in this area I would be very tempted to move back.But people make or break places for me

I really liked it round there ,I was with a walking group and we did the Wrekin on Saturday and around Shrewsbury on the Sunday
Our local equivalent is ’ He went round Wigan to get to Chorley ’

1 Like

Scotland, lots of fine old buildings and I can wait until they vote to separate from England and remain in the EU, at which point I’ll become Scottish

3 Likes

Beautiful in the spring and summer, absolutely wicked in Winter. I Spent 11 months up there many many moons ago.