Illegal UK Registered cars in France

Yes, they don’t explain it well! This comes from the EU regulations-

" Moving for more than 6 months

If you move to another EU country and take your car with you, you have to register it in your new country. You also have to pay car-related taxes in your new country if you have your normal residence there."

It does not say that you can use it for 6 months after you have moved, just that if the owner lives there for more than 6 months they are deemed to have become residents.

The french government are the ones who run France so I think that their rules take precedence. For a Quitus Fiscale ANTS give this info " Le certificat fiscal (modèle 1993 VT REC) doit être demandé auprès du service des impôts des entreprises de votre domicile dans un délai de 15 jours suivant la livraison ." &

1 Like

A couple of insurers in my town now offer a carte grise service although I don’t know whether this extends to imports. Seems a very sensible and logical service for an insurer to offer to make themselves a kind of one-stop shop for folk who don’t buy from a garage.

Absolutely agree but HMG’s advice is very poor

After 6 months in France, you must register your car with the French authorities – see driving in France with a foreign licence or contact your local prefecture.
… the link provided being all about driving licences and nothing whatsoever to do with registering your car, why the heck doesn’t it direct folk to the vosdroits page about registration???

In your capacity as garagiste then Mark, can you tell me exactly what I would need, please ?

For which vehicle?

Iveco Daily 2002 35S11

I don’t have the 206 anymore

Was this at Castres Bob? Sounds like you spoke to the same fonctionnaire that “helped” me exchange my driving licence :scream::rage:

Yes Mandy…she went through the folder that contained everything I had, like UK MOT’s, V5 etc., saying very loudly “what’s this for ?” “and this ?”
In the end, I told her I’d come back another day if it was too difficult for her.

Yes, sounds like the same one. She insisted I needed more paperwork than was on the official list issued by her own office and asked me the same questions she asked you. Horrible person! Can’t believe there was more than one like that.


There was Mandy - had one at my local tax office years ago - a face like a bulldog chewing a wasp! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: I remember her telling me that, as I’d completed my tax declaration on line, I’d need to ‘speak’ to the computer if I had any further queries!

Anyway - she’s retired now, very old, very ugly and very unhappy - everything that goes around… :rofl::rofl::rofl:


Why do these people work in a service industry when they are so unsuited to it? They must be very unhappy people.


She certainly didn’t look very happy in her work

1 Like

Because they don’t see it as a ‘service’ industry Mandy. It’s just a job they can’t (mostly) be fired from!


You beat me to it Simon!

The ‘attitude’ of folk who work in the ‘service’ industry - be they employees of the State, shopkeepers or serving staff in restaurants / bars etc. - is totally different to that which we are accustomed here in the UK. It is as different to us here as the same folk in Japan are in relation to the UK.

It is a matter of culture - and just has to be accepted.

1 Like

Hummmmm Carl - I think you can find miserable gits everywhere - including the UK! It most certainly does not have to be accepted anywhere! It costs nothing to smile and be polite… :smile: :smile: :smile:


You need to submit 8 or 9 documents depending on whether you want to tackle ANTS or have someone else do it for you.
The main document will be an attestation of conformity - certificates of European conformity were not available for vans until 2011. Contact Iveco France for this as an attestation is a national certificate. IVECO France - établissement de TRAPPES - Service Homologation
6 rue Nicolas Copernic
78083 Les Yvelines Cedex 9

You also need a Quitus fiscale from your tax office, photo i.d, proof of domicile, the bill of sale, the V5c, a CT conducted less than 6 months previously or 2 months if a contre visit is required, a cerfa 13750*05 demande form &, if someone else is going to do this for you, a cerfa 13757 mandat form.

You will be given a dossier number & an “accuse de reception” which you can use to notify your insurance company that you have started the process - important as insurance companies are cracking down on agents who offer extended insurance on UK reg vehicles.

It takes about 4 weeks for the application to be processed.


do you think my UK CoC’s will be valid ?

You don’t work in a service industry if you are a fonctionnaire.

1 Like

Emmmmm … fonctionnaire = civil / public servant. What about my lovely postman?? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Doubt it. I think you will find that it will not have a european type approval number which would look a bit like this - E1*2007/46 *0458 *23 Cocs for cars came in to existence in 1996, motorbikes in 2004 & N1 commercial vehicles in late 2010 so your 2002 van would not qualify. A UK certificate would be a national type approval one which would only be acceptable in the UK. You might find that DREAL will inspect your van & issue a “Procès-verbal de réception à titre isolé (RTI)”. Might be cheaper than Iveco France.

1 Like