Import tax?

I’m thinking of buying a small gift from Hong Kong, but I’m not sure I will need to pay import tax on entry :thinking:
Help, please.

I bought a gift from Japan and had to pay import tax before I could have it delivered as it was over the threshold value.

Here’s some info about this.

My word… you are both far more adventurous in your shopping than I am. :relaxed:

OH buys bits and bobs through Amazon and I have noticed that sometimes the package actually is postmarked “China” etc… not had to pay import tax though, so perhaps certain items are exempt… :thinking:… or there is a treaty :thinking:

This link might give info and/or contact details to ask questions…

1 Like

here are some simulators to try to give you an idea of what you would be paying.

1 Like

Depressing to think that by next Christmas or the one after this will probably apply to purchases from just across the Channel.

More depressing for those in the UK where it will apply to their purchases from all european countries, unless a deal is made stating otherwise :scream:

Tough shit really, the “majority…” voted for something.

4 Likes

Totally agree Mark … I would add (if that’s OK?)

3 Likes

They did know the full facts, these being that everything that goes wrong in the UK is the fault of interfering foreigners, and that England will be better off without them, so send 'em back where they came from.

And the consequences will be that:

There’ll be bluebirds over
The white cliffs of Dover
Tomorrow, just you wait and see
There’ll be love and laughter
And peace ever after
Tomorrow, when the world is free

The shepherd will tend his sheep
The valley will bloom again
And Jimmy will go to sleep
In his own little room again.

1 Like

Jane,Stella and Tracey, thank you for your help :hugs:

1 Like

(must admit… I’m intrigued to know what you are thinking of buying… ) :thinking::relaxed:

Jim often buys small electrical items needed to keep our computers etc. going.
They are usually of small value and he does not pay tax and they arrive much quicker than if they came from France.

1 Like

Just window shopping at the moment :thinking:

1 Like

I enjoy window shopping very much … even if I rarely seem to get through the door… :crazy_face:

T Reeves - why ? Wouldn’t it be UP TO THE UK itself to determine what import taxes a SOVEREIGN country chooses to impose on items arriving for import into the UK ?
As a sovereign country, outside of the eu and NOT being bound by any eu regulations the UK might - or might not - decide NO TAX on items under £500. But it will be for the UK to decide, won’t it ?

I can not see why Import duty would be dropped and not still apply, but yes I agree the rate would be up to the UK to decide.

PS you can call me Tracey :wink:

@anon48648089 Keep your hair on! No need to shout…

2 Likes

Bonjour Veronique - I’m sorry, you’re quite right; should have taken time to underline or italic - but was in a hurry - apologies - didn’t mean to shout.
But I do get irritated when it seems to be forgotten, no matter what our feelings about Brexit, that once the UK ‘leaves’ it will be up to the UK how it chooses to impose taxes. Not on these posts so much, but when I read other forums there does seem to be the feeling that the UK won’t be able to make any decisions about running the country to suit the UK itself, rather than accepting orders from the eu.

4 Likes

Tracey - thank you - and apologies for shouting, wasn’t really meant the way it came across - was in a hurry and didn’t think.

2 Likes

Not a problem…x