Import tax?

It might be up to the Uk to decide, but if it wants to keep trading with other countries it might find that there is much less room for manoeuvre than has been promised. Basically all the politicians have been lying about the complexity of this for the last 3 years. In terms of import taxes, there will be pressure to fall into line for fait competition. And for many other things it will be a choice whether go down the US route (ie chlorinated chicken) or the EU route (environmental regulations)

1 Like

Funny I thought that for the most part the Disunited Kingdom was and is a sovereign country. There’s EU laws and there’s DUK laws and sometimes they’re both. For your further elucidation see https://fullfact.org/europe/uk-law-what-proportion-influenced-eu/?gclid=Cj0KCQiAw4jvBRCJARIsAHYewPNX8o-g2AW2u_lJp3_UMyvTkLb0UzKVBYWUPcUopWYV7PaaQltPeDEaAnw9EALw_wcB

1 Like

From our experience whether you have to pay inport tax on goods from outside the EU depends on the value.

Have bought numeorus low value items via Alibaba, Ebay etc and not been charged import tax, have bought a few large value items and have had to pay import tax .

The 150€ seems to fit with our experience, don’t know about the perfumes, tabacco and alchohol though.

2 Likes

The old Tit for Tat - how childish on Trump’s Part.
One thing though I do know about Americans is that if they want something enough they will get it.
Albeit imported French Cheese and Champagne with a hefty price tag.
Some will even find these products even more desirable because of it, so they can brag about how much their refined taste buds cost them, when buying such delicacies! :yum:

2 Likes

1 Like

Things have moved on a little since the last post but this seems a good place to post this -

I have no idea if it’s any good. Maybe someone can compare with their own experience.