Importing a van into France


I have an Volkswagen LT35 van, which is quite old, but I really don’t want to get rid of it. It has been off the road for some time, but we really are eager to get it back on the road, we just have a problem. It has English plates, we have had to sorn it, as we did not have the money to return it to England to get the Tax MOT etc, but would love to put it through the French system. However we have been told by some people that we would not be able to do this as the sliding door is on the wrong side and would not get its letter of conformity from the manufacturer. Can anyone help me please with some advice.

Does anyone know if it would actually be possible to get this letter of conformity, or do they know of another way we can use the van in France without the letter of conformity.

I really would appreciate any ideas.

Thank you very much.


Good luck. And no problem about the name, Edna.


Hello David,

I am so sorry I called you Steve. I think I am loosing my head. Someone had given me information about buying headlights for the VW and his name was Steve, sorry. Hope you are not upset or offended.
David, thank you very much for your information, I will do as you suggested and google VW-France, and try my luck, as they say there is no harm in trying.
I will let you know how I get on.
Take care ok.

Who is Steve???!!
Sorry I can’t remember/find the address - it was 4 years ago, but I know all I would have done is look up the address on google.VW- France?


Hi Steve, Wow that is fantastic. Renault charged me a fortune to do my Laguna, that would really help, if it is still the same. Do you have the address where you sent your request? Thanks again for this information.

Just to let you know that I got a certificate of conformity from VW about four years ago and they did not charge. Unlike Citroen and Fiat.

You are welcome.

Thanks guys, you have been a great help. I will try DRIRE. I just did not want to pay for the letter of conformity to find that I could not get issued one.

Steve, I will email you regarding the headlights for the van.

Thanks again both of you for your help.

Kind regards


This article on registering a car in France might be helpful.

I think you need to talk to DRIRE as they are the ones that can issue a certificate of conformity for the vehicle. If your French is OK a call to them should tell you what you need to know.

Hope that helps.

I cant see that as being a problem as long as you have rear doors you could check with your local prefecture ,when you come to change it onto French plates you will need head lights contact me I am Steve and have a business here for cheap car parts and have a good contact for lights you can get me at,best of luck