In-depth article on the background to Zemmour's manifesto

The following article is in the upcoming edition of the London Review of Books (I’m a subscriber, but I think other people can read one free article per month). It’s well-detailed and pretty comprehensive, other than failing to mention the interesting possibility that Zemmour (and le Pen) may fail to obtain the necessary 500 sponsorships (both are currently well short).

s+https://www.lrb.co.uk/the-paper/v44/n04/arun-kapil/fanning-the-flames?utm_campaign=20220218icymi&utm_content=20220218icymi%20CID_03e1a252d51a2ca9d8112c4dc68971d7&utm_medium=email&utm_source=LRB%20email&utm_term=Read%20more

1 Like

Got handed a flyer for Jean-Luc Mélenchon today. I always think of John J. Mellencamp when I see the name.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=h04CH9YZcpI

God forbid that “rat face” gets any where near being elected to the Élysée :face_vomiting:

1 Like

I think there’s little chance. Though I’m sorry Barnier isn’t in the line up. But all in all I’d be happy with Macron again.

6 Likes

Imagine a scenario where in the first round of voting Pécresse edges out le Pen and Zemmour (if either even get that far). In the second round, she’d presumably scoop up most if not all of their supporters’ votes, and if many left of centre voters abstained rather than opting for Macron, Pécresse could inadvertently become our next pres.

Hope I’m wrong!

Sorry to be a fusspot but it would be nice if the title of this could be changed to Zemmour rather than Zenmour. I don’t like the man but it seems only polite to get his name right.

1 Like

I’ve done that for the OP.

2 Likes

Dear Fusspot,obviously I don’t disagree with your point and I’ve changed the spelling, but OTOH there’s plenty of typos in threads, so unless you’re just a proofreader, why don’t you contribute something more interesting to the discussion ? For instance have you read the article that prompted my post?

Or do you think that an ‘m’ instead of an ‘n’ is the most important aspect of the thread? FFS!

And as for politeness with regard to M. Zen/m, not very much I think - Well c’mon! I’m beyond politeness, he’s both hypocritical and completely obnoxiuos (or if you prefer, ‘obnoxious’).

1 Like

Graham, I thought Mark, had taken a leaf out of one of your books, surprised it’s you that changed the spelling :upside_down_face:

Yes I looked at the article, It seems a good summary for anyone who had not noticed the man before. I am not sure what it adds to what people would have known already if they follow French politics, there has been an awful lot written about him in the French press since last October or thereabouts.
I feel he is very much in the Johnson mould and the idea of him becoming President makes my blood run cold. Thankfully it seems less likely now that it did at the end of last year because the predicted slide in support for Macron has not happened.

Typos do not bother me generally, I make plenty myself and it does not bother me in the slightest that you twice call him Zenmour in your posts, but when they are in very big letters in a title that will be read by lots of people who do not read any further it seems to me a bit like disinformation because people can take away the information that there is is a politician called Zenmour who has a manifesto. And no I do not know why that should bother me either but somehow it does. Maybe I am getting woke in my old age.

Here’s the correct link, in case anyone is having difficulty with Mark’s

Who do you want as President Mork?

[quote=“tim17, post:12, topic:38464”]
Who do you want as President Mork?

Thanks for asking - I wouldn’t be unhappy if Macron got a second term.

He may be, sorry ‘is’, unpopular with a large sector of French society, but he’s demonstrated his competency by steering the country through some very difficult situations. Even if I agreed with their dog whistle politics (which I don’t), none of the other contenders with a realistic chance of making the second round instil one with much confidence in their ability to lead the country.

Meanwhile, the left is even more fragmented and whilst I admire how much Hidalgo’s achieved in physically re-planning Paris, I’m glad she’s doing so badly in the polls because I’d like her to remain in post. She’s right for Paris but too progressive for rural France

2 Likes

One major difference is that Zemmour has been fairly consistent in his beliefs., whereas Johnson only seems to believe in his own right to have a good time.

I think they’re both misogynistic, but whereas Johnson is in John Crace’s memorable description, ‘a priapic Mr Blobby’ Zemmour’s misogyny is intriguingly ironic because most of his proscriptions about the social role of women seem remarkably similar to those of conservative muslims!

Yes I agree there, and I think that makes Zemmour more dangerous in one way and less dangerous in another way. Johnson will do whatever he feels/is told is most politically expedient today, without considering or caring what unintended fallout it may have, but this means that he swerves and U turns as public protest rises and falls because keeping people onside is high on his agenda. Zemmour I feel would be less affected by public opinion because as you say, he has his own agenda. Johnson is almost a puppet, without his cronies to prop him up he would be nothing. Zemmour is stronger.

2 Likes

Macron is the fourth president I’ve lived under here and I don’t see him being any different to the others, the country hasn’t really progressed and I expect that to continue, that’s not really his fault because the French hate change of any sort and always ‘kick back’, unfortunately once again with such poor candidates it’s ‘least worst’ that will win.

What sort of ‘progress’ would you like to see? Or, how does this lack of progress manifest itself?

1 Like

I am not so sure. I do not know what you mean by “progressing”, where do you want France to “progress” to? Change happens all the time although I think perhaps we don’t notice changes that do not affect us personally, or even small things that do affect us.
The changes to taxe d’habitation were Macron’s initiative. I do not think any of the other candidates envisaged ending taxe d’habitation for the majority?
Abolishing the infamous RSI was another promise that Macron carried out although I think whoever had become president would have had to resolve the RSI problem one way or another.
There is a public service you can sign up to where you receive a regular email from servicepublic summarizing recent state initiatives and changes in legislation. I do not know whether you receive that. I find it interesting. And it is quite eye opening how many small changes are happening all the time.

3 Likes

DrMarkH you’ve put it better than I would. I agree with everything you say. I wish people with permanent visas could vote. I won’t be able to apply for mine for just over another 3 and a half years (not that I’m counting the days :slight_smile: ) but knowing I would be able to vote would give me something to aspire to.

Especially your comments about Anne Hidalgo would-being a disaster for rural France.

1 Like

I just feel that the country is being left behind economically compared to other countries in Europe, if you look at the unemployment rate especially youth unemployment it’s quite striking that France now has the 4th highest rate in the EU and is now alongside the ‘basket case’ economies of Greece, Italy and Spain, when I arrived in 2005 it was 10th in the rankings.

The other very noticeable thing is the rapid death of rural towns and villages, so many have become ‘ghosts’ of their past with continual falls in population, this may not be down to government policies but successive administrations have failed to notice nor seemingly care that this is happening. Many communes around us are desperate for doctors and dentists yet supposedly the national doctor per head of population ratio hasn’t changed for years so clearly practising in rural areas is not popular but unless this obvious imbalance is addressed the countryside population will decline further.