In The Local today - it WILL become compulsory to hold a Carte de Séjour after Brexit

Chris, if you consider yourself to be a refugee, I assume you have declared yourself a refugee and that you are in compliance with Article 2 requiring you to abide by the national laws of the contracting states with regard to residence, as Anna points out.

If you have been granted refugee status in France you have the same obligations under French law as other citizens, and must comply with them: that includes conditions of lawful residence and taxation.

If not, you are commiting a felony and should expect the law to catch up with you, and clip your wings.

Apologies for being insensitive Chris, I wasn’t aware that you had refugee status.

You are really starting to worry me. I think you need to do a bit of research to find out what your rights are now to take up your freedom of movement in the EU and what they will be as a U.K. citizen after Brexit. It is not a game. I’m not sure how you are going to persuade anybody that you are a genuine refugee but if you don’t meet the criteria for residence in France you are likely to find yourself deported. The conditions for refugee status are easy to find but I think that it is very unlikely that you will meet them. Why would anybody be knocking on your door demanding documents? At the present time I would imagine that everybody presumes that you are a U.K. national living legally in France.
After reading your posts I don’t know whether to laugh or cry. One thing that I am sure of though is that thank God I’m not approaching the next few years with your naïeve understanding of the law.

2 Likes

Can anyone explain the bit about Tesco and chimney sweeps? I am genuinely intrigued.

Perhaps this link explains it all!
Continuing the discussion from A tender topic:

This doesn’t look like the roots of a refugee

Oops. Sounds like another dream that took a wrong turning.

1 Like

Having come on to this thread, might as well say something useful - has anyone on here posted up a link to the latest French position on planning for Brexit? All very positive IMHO.
http://www.assemblee-nationale.fr/15/rapports/r1461.asp

All this talk of CDS & proof of residence, if you live here you do a tax declaration & are in the health system, both of which are easily checked.
This little article from the french government seems to say that a CDS will not be obligatory.

Which bit do you interpret as saying that?

En cas d’accord de retrait entrant en vigueur
Les ressortissants britanniques présents en France avant le 31 décembre 2020 devront demander le nouveau titre prévu par l’accord de retrait. Ils pourront en faire la demande au moins jusqu’en juillet 2021, selon des modalités et un calendrier qui seront précisés ultérieurement.
Les Britanniques arrivés en France après le 1er janvier 2021 devront solliciter un titre de droit commun.

En cas d’absence d’accord de retrait
Il sera nécessaire de présenter une demande de titre de séjour après le 29 mars 2019, selon des modalités qui seront précisées ultérieurement.

1 Like

https://lookaside.fbsbx.com/file/French%20Interior%20Ministry%20prepares%20for%20Brexit.doc?token=AWwm0Sp3jyd3jpo3tWo9NFAg-Kwdfssrur6Rx3z_ruDA_c0YtfgT4VpqXEYjYF2Fi-4rNlhcBeeZzwvdSwFWopP4ncRSPIrzrHtGx61t4CP1E6y9j2avBFixsE9-ZBC2vTC7PLCMQzd3yEuRKDSn8X3sqk7Pc6HVy4Bga1xhNvOAtZKMSafmI4QLMV0sacfmabcOSyxj0zL5aiw6jDQqKzvndWP8B-vR7M8cUPE_i2XyhQ

The bit that says " En cas d’accord de retrait entrant en vigueur

Les titres UE obtenus avant mars 2019 (dont la possession n’est pas obligatoire) continueront à être valables durant la période de transition qui court jusqu’au 31 décembre 2020.

So, if you have an EU CdS it will be valid to the end of 2020, I think it is just pointing out that they aren’t compulsary at the moment - after that you will need to apply for a CdS (by July 2021 but possibly later).

Nobody has ever claimed that it is necessary for British citizens to have a CdS before Britain leaves the EU as they already have the same rights that the CdS provides. The document that you have provided the link for explains what will happen after Brexit or the transition period when a CdS will be necessary. Yet again a statement that you have provided is incorrect and confusing and the link that use use to back up your point of view is quoted out of context.

Yes, obviously nothing changes until or unless Brexit happens.
And as you say, as long as you’re in a regular situation, getting whatever kind of card you need, when you need it, won’t be a problem.
But, in the event of a hard Brexit which personally I don’t think is likely but it’s not been ruled out, then people will need to prove they were living here in a regular situation as of 29 March. That will almost certainly mean having correct paperworks starting no later than 29 December, which isn’t far off. In the event of a deal, people have longer to get it sorted but it will need to get sorted eventually.
I find it worrying that some posters seem to think Brexit won’t change anything and Brits will be able to stay here for as long as they like without healthcare and totally unknown to the state computer, with no danger of checks and no restrictions, exactly as they can now. But, it’s none of my business, and hopefully Brexit won’t happen, so I guess we should leave them to bury their heads in the sand if that’s what they want to do.

3 Likes

EU citizens living in the UK will have to apply for ‘settled status’ after the transition period has ended which is no different to having to have a CDS to remain here. I cannot believe anyone thinks that Brits will be treated differently to their EU counterparts.

Frankly, Anna, if they have not declared themselves as being domiciled here then practically everything they do is illegal anyway. They deserve whatever problems their inability to meet french law brings them.
Even if no tax is payable they need to make a tax declaration & even to register their car requires proof of domicile!

Please explain what you mean by ‘declare themselves as domiciled’.

Well yes you can look at it that way, but being a sucker for sob stories with happy endings, I would prefer for them to get their act together before it’s too late.
“Use every man after his desert, and who should scape whipping?” as the bard sayeth.

The document says that UK nationals will have to apply for the new CDS "title provided for in the withdrawal agreement. They will be able to make the request at least until July 2021, according to modalities and a calendar which will be specified later. " So the current CDS that everyone is rushing to get will not be valid anyway & will have to be exchanged for a new type, the format & date of inception of which has not yet been determined.
My point being that the rush to get a CDS today is really a waste of time.

1 Like