Interesting perspective on the PM in waiting

perhaps notā€¦ but the Tories want de Pfeffle back :roll_eyes:

Amazing, isnā€™t it? It all seems so removed from reality.

As far as Iā€™m concerned, as long as the Ā£ remains stable against the ā‚¬, the Tory members could make loonies like Redwood or Fabricant PM and I wouldnā€™t lose any sleep.

Basically, past caring and have given up on the UKā€¦

3 Likes

Ah, but DrMark, thereā€™s the problem

1 Like

ā€œThe only thing necessary for the triumph of evil isā€¦ā€¦ā€

What a fantastic response from Macron.

10 Likes

Not to put a tooth in it, that woman is going to cause shit big time. :frowning:

5 Likes

and some on here are still suggesting that the UK isnā€™t that bad after allā€¦
nuts!

1 Like

Agreed. The whole response by Macron to the journalistā€™s question was sublimeā€¦ *chefā€™s kiss *

I liked the way he paused before answering, had a wry smile whilst thinking through his response and then elegantly and with class denounced Truss and her tinpot, Brexity comment.

Truss really should watch the whole performance as itā€™s a good lesson for her in diplomacy.

Alex Taylor has subtitled it here, for those who havenā€™t seen it yet:
https://twitter.com/AlexTaylorNews/status/1563147732436807680?s=20&t=sE5uBlytKigbuE_MFNEUbA

3 Likes

Ahh, I think thatā€™s because theyā€™re still living in the UK. Itā€™s perhaps done purely to reassure themselves rather than anyone else :wink:

4 Likes

ah yes, buyerā€™s remorse :wink:

1 Like

sheā€™s so bleeding thick, she probably canā€™t even read the commentary in English :roll_eyes:
My guess is she expected E.M to bite - but heā€™s too good for that. Like her two predecessors in the FO. she has taken lessons from them on how to be the most undiplomatic head of the diplomatic service imaginable. I donā€™t see that changing an iota if she succeeds de Pfeffle.
The UK will sink to lower depths as a consequence from which it may never recover in my lifetime and maybe a generation to follow.
I really fear for family remaining in the ā€œinsignificant island off the coast of Europeā€.
The UK is now regarded as dispensable by all accountsā€¦ a few days ago 4 B52 bombers landed at RAF Fairford - you donā€™t have to brain of Britain to understand their purpose in the grand scheme of things and an increasingly despotic Putin will regard this as an act of aggression with trigger happy Truss suggesting sheā€™d press the nuclear buttonā€¦

1 Like

:slightly_smiling_face:

Yes, the now dominant fascist wing of the Tory party have very effectively used the boiled frog strategy on tens on millions of their victims.

I think this could all turn out very, very badly indeed. Itā€™s all getting way beyond a joke.

1 Like

I saw the clip of her response to the ā€œfriend or foeā€ question. Sheā€™s a bloody idiot playing to an audience of bloody idiots. Sheā€™s like a toddler whoā€™s had too much sugar.

BTW, Johnsonā€™s comment was much more balanced but heā€™s obviously nursing a hangover and looks as if heā€™s been on the sauce for days.

3 Likes

The incredibly frustrating thing is that, according to all the polls, sheā€™s already won the Tory members over and will be the next PM. She really didnā€™t need to pander to the right wing audience she was addressing in an attempt to try and win over voters. She must have known that there were cameras there, so any such comments were going to be recorded and broadcast globally.

Itā€™s this level of ignorance and ineptitude amongst the current crop of politicians that I find tiring and so exasperating.

1 Like

Whatā€™s interesting is the clip of Johnsonā€™s comments. Itā€™s amazing, isnā€™t it. You keep thinking Tory leaders canā€™t get any worse - but then a new one comes along and makes all the old ones look half-respectable.

1 Like

Each to their own and I like the occasional moan about the UK government as much as anyone else.

Iā€™m not attempting to shut down anyoneā€™s conversation but just clarify why in my case I started the amazing things about the UK thread.

If you want anything to change you need hope. Obviously lots of other things are required -organisation, determination and strategy etc. It wonā€™t be easy to effect change in the UK given the political set up. But given how many people are in fact pro EU and the actual percentage that vote for the Tories being I believe about 35-38% I think change is possible.and hopefully inevitable.

Highlighting the good in the UK (and there is a lot of it) is just one small way of keeping hope and the possibility of change alive.

That doesnā€™t mean you need to stick your head in the sand and not acknowledge whatā€™s happening.

But why not retain some optimism? What else are people meant to do?.Hide under their duvet covers? :laughing:

I live in France btw.

2 Likes

Actually itā€™s only around 25% of the whole electorate (not just of votes cast) - and of course much less of the whole population (and the Tories are very unpopular indeed among teenagers).

2 Likes

I see your point. Not sure I necessarily agree with it, but wouldnā€™t life be boring if we all agreed on everything all the timeā€¦? And unlike Twitter, Facebook, etcā€¦ Iā€™m sure we can still get along just fine even if we disagree on some things :slight_smile:

Saying that, in my case Iā€™ve recently come to the conclusion that the UK is no longer where I call home. On my last trip back, I simply felt a sense of familiarity as we approached the UK. I flew over many places I recognisedā€¦ but for the first time ever, it didnā€™t feel like I was ā€œcoming homeā€. Iā€™m perhaps therefore just as guilty as those I criticised, albeit in the opposite senseā€¦ maybe Iā€™m eagerly and overly critical of things in the UK in an attempt to justify my decision that leaving the UK was the right thing to do.

3 Likes