International Driving Licence

Excellent news. Thank you!

If you are civilised they will be too.

“their are not really well liked here”
Perhaps the people you met at your party have reasons to fear the gendarmerie.

“no one there actually understand what they are for”
Were they all 12 or just very stupid?

“condescending too expats”
That cuts both ways.

3 Likes

After over one year, numerous emails, resending all my details, I received an email this week to say it was in hand but basically had to wait for an unknown period of time as they had a massive backlog. I had explained on numerous occasions that it was urgent as I am now 70 & live in France & therefore cannot renew my UK licence so therefore have NO licence! I will keep all paperwork, emails etc in my car, just in case!

Oh I hope it comes soon as that must be a worry! I sent mine in two years ago and, despite chasing it up, yet to have any response so getting a email is a positive sign!

If you have a US licence providing it’s reciprocal then bare in mind that you only have 12 months from arrival in France to exchange your licence, if you don’t you will have to take the 2 part driving test to continue driving legally in France. Check on your Prefectures website for Foreign Licence exchange and whether you have to make an appointment or whether they are accepting postal applications as many are.

Your IDP can only be obtained from the US, you have to have an EU licence to apply for one on the ANTS system.