Internet Options for online workers - both need a minimum 5 Mbs :/

Hi,

I have the opportunity to live in a small village just outside Josselin in 56. One problem I have is internet speed - both myself and wife will be operating online businesses and require 5 Mbs bare minimum.
Local reasearch shows average 3 - 8 Mbs eventhough SFR claim 50 Mbs now available in the area.

Are there any solutions out there to boost internet speed or make back up provision?
Thanks in advance, I’m not a techy guy so please don’t bamboozle me :wink:

An alternative would be coworking space?

Excellent in rural locations if you’re eligible - I normally average around 40-50Mbps. Lots of info on Survive France - just use the search facility. You’ll generally find that if ADSL providers say between 3-8 Mbps - you’ll more likely be at the lower end, or lower!!

SFR do one as well but I’ve never used it - also has a 200GB / month limit before slowing down.

You probably know you’ll need to be properly registered in France to operate an online business - again lots of info on here. Best of luck with the move etc!

Hi Gary and welcome to the forum.

Where will you be moving from? UK or elsewhere ?? :thinking:

You have some exciting times ahead, methinks. :smiley::smiley::smiley:

Hi Gary - we have survived on a lot less than 5Mb for many years including skype, skype for business, various VPNs, phone conferencing in the UK/US and Far East and lots of RD.

If you have to have more can you setup a VM and RD to it?

[edit] Just reread your request re techie jargon. A VM is a virtual PC you can setup on a cloud provider (Amazon Web Services/Ms Azure etc) and then use Remote Desktop to access it. The Remote PC has co-location internet speeds and the only thing you use your French connection for is the screen/sound… Lovely![/edit]

Do you have an external aerial to achieve that Simon (or do you live just under the mast?)
I’m just over 1k from the mast and the signal seems stable at around 20 - 30 tops

I have this …I am almost at the end of the line, so is my internet :wink:

7.41 Téléchargement en Mbit/s

0.81 Transfert en Mbit/s

Latence : 31 ms

Hi Graham - no external Ariel but clear line of sight to mast across the valley about 1km away. Bit slower than normal this evening but upload slow - it’s normally about the same or faster as download. Not many subscribers in these parts - still getting used to the telegraph!! :joy:

27%20-%20Edited

Interesting… what test program are you using?
I just got 21 down and 15 up using fast.com

I use http://speedtest.xfinity.com
or the Ookla app on my Pixelbook.

Graham - I’ve edited my original post - I was being a dick - I used my phone on 4G instead of via the 4G box wifi signal. Strangely though fast.com won’t work for me - tells me I’m not connected o the internet!!??

That’s a bit more like it…

well, you clearly are :wink:

1 Like

Oh no I’m not :crazy_face::crazy_face::crazy_face: Work that one out ?!?!

My Internet Speed is 1.5Mbps - which I reckon is nearly as good as being disconnected…:crazy_face:

Second try, getting better:

2 Likes

You need to check what’s available at the property where you will be living. You will probably find that all the major telecoms providers - orange, bouygues, sfr, free etc - have a facility for checking this on their websites, ideally you’ll need to know the phone number at the property or if not you may be able to check from the address.

I don’t particularly need fast internet but I do need reliable internet and one of my criteria was that I wanted easy access to coworking space, as a second backup plan to my mifi device (or USB dongle as it was in those days), so I chose a town that has a centre de télétravail. In the event, in the 10+ years that I’ve been here I’ve only actually needed it twice, once for several weeks when there was a problem with my home internet (for anyone who remembers Alice, that was when Alice was being taken over by Free and the service fell to pieces for a month or so), and once a few months later when I changed from Alicebox to Freebox and there was a gap in service of about a week. But it’s a useful facility and now and again I rent space there as a treat to myself, especially when I have a big project on the go, because it helps maintain the work/life balance and keep me sane. So I recommend checking out what provision there is locally for coworking.

For landline plug the phone number in to www.degrouptest.com which will list your options and likely speeds.

I WFM and I pretty much get the maximum from a copper connection. I get 20mbps which is around 2.5 Megabytes downward which is fine for streaming up to 1920x1024 content. It will struggle with 4k content. Uploading for me is a fraction of the download speed.

As long as you are not “hosting” a service then its perfectly acceptable for general business browsing and media services.

Copper based broadband performance is limited by how far you are from the telephone exchange. The further away you are the more “noise” on the line which causes more “packet loss”.

Contention is also a factor. If your daughters are glued to their phones watching YouTube as the same time as you are sending a RFP to your top client, then it will have an effect on how much bandwidth is available for you.

If you can get hold of fibre do so.

I am waiting for 5G