Internet woe

I’ve used Windows 10 enough to know that I still find Windows, 7,8 and Vista or Linux easier. 7 may be ‘finished’ but if I can still use it, I will.

Go Linux (Ubuntu) Annajayne… you know you want to, really! You’ve used it before IIRC.

1 Like

:+1:

1 Like

Yeah, can you remind me about how to find it and what to install?

1 Like

Thanks.

Holding back the tide, move on and pick a winnable battle.

1 Like

@anon88169868 beat me to it…
Don’t be tempted with the 20.10 version… stick with 20.04.2 LTS (Long Term Support).
You’ll need to download the iso file to a bootable DVD-R and boot from there. Your choice as to whether to dual boot with windoze or overwrite the whole thing with Ubuntu but either way MAKE SURE YOU HAVE BACKUPS OF IMPORTANT DATA

1 Like

Good advice. Thank you.

Personally, I’d use the bootable DVD to go into the “try before installing” option just to check out that everything will work as you expect - particularly the WiFi aspect since that seems to be the problem most people seem to have with v20.04 before finally committing yourself to it. As the machine is old, it might not cope with both installations and drivers may be difficult to configure.

If you have any problems downloading and burning a DVD for either 20.04.2 (or the earlier stable version 18.04 LTS) let me know and I can post them to you.

1 Like

Thanks. That’s kind of you. I will attempt this tomorrow and let you know.

1 Like

OK. The iso file is 2.7Gb so if your internet connection is still dodgy…

1 Like

FWIW I feel the same about Windows7 and only upgraded my personal (also elderly but Mercedes 280 equivalent) laptop to W10 last week.

If I had not been forced to change the disc I would still be happily on Windows 7 too.

With an old computer, just like a car, unless it’s going to freeze up due to lack of RAM (8Gb min ideally), some of us think best to leave it alone. I suspect doing a W10 update as such might be a disaster and if contemplating on an older computer would do a clean install then add back the user files and apps rather than use the MS update process.

1 Like

I am still using Windows 7 on some machines (rapidly virtualising them though) . I have a laptop running (crawling) Windows 10 and hate it. We are gradually moving to Linux desktops and keeping Windows 7 (and XP believe it or not) for things we use that do not have Linux equivalents and there are very few of those. I would certainly endorse Graham and Paul’s suggestion to use Linux. My partner replaced his ghastly Windows 10 with it and it goes like s**t off a shovel :smiley:

3 Likes

Which flavour of Linux have you chosen Angela?
I have to say that with Ubuntu, I have yet to find any application I have not been able to replace with a Linux alternative… indeed, there are some apps I use which are indeed better than the Windoze variety… one immediately coming to mind is gLabels which we use to make business/visiting cards and address labels for envelopes linking to csv files opened in LibreOffice Calc - an absolute doddle to manage!

1 Like

My partner has been testing out several similar flavours as although Ubuntu works well, we much preferred some of the earlier versions. He’s been test-driving Xubuntu but it’s just a bit too weird so it looks like we are settling for Kubuntu (we like menu-based systems :smiley: )

Most of the repos for Ubuntu should work just as well with Kubuntu IIRC. You know about Ask Ubuntu where you can ask questions about Kubuntu as well as straight vanilla Ubuntu of course… I use it all the time to resolve any “issues”.

I think that’s what my partner uses, Graham, but I shall mention it anyway just in case! Thank you :smiley:
He’s doing the work as I am now definitely superannuated and he still has some brain cells left - or so he says, anyway :rofl:

Suddenly the Internet is being odd this week

5G antennas are actually quite different from 4G antennas. So, for the moment they are coexisting. The transmission frequencies are very different, so the two should not interfere with one another.

Key words: “should not”

Maybe the slowdown is on purpose to push people to 5G from 4G? The 4G-throughput becomes exceptionally slow around mid-day, which is a “peak hour” for Internet-traffic.

I have never had that happen on 4G before recently …