Introduction of carte de séjour language requirements

Whilst admittedly this population is a small subset of the wider population of those likely to be seeking Cartes de Séjours, I cannot see how France could possibly impose language requirements on either EU citizens or their families. There is absolutely no scope for a member state to condition obtaining a CdS on language skills per the relevant EU regs for EU citizen s/their families. France would need to persuade the other members states, EU Parliament and the EU Commission in order to change the regs. I suspect this would be an uphill task, and quite possibly viewed as a very low priority by other states. There’s of course little to stop France doing this for CdS that are non EU ‘regulated’…

There is no suggestion whatsoever that this will apply to EU citizens who have freedom of movement. (Unless of course seeking nationality). This is aimed at non-EU people, which now includes British people. And is for carte de resident, not carte de séjour.

1 Like

And I think you have hit the nail on the head there. Personally I think if France do manage to implement this it will be aimed at the ‘non EU’ protected contingent.

I disagree - specific topic, easy to look up useful phrases beforehand. That’s the kind of conversation I like. I struggle with the casual meeting conversation where any topic can come out of left field and I have no context and probably not the vocabulary. Those are the moments when I smile and nod (hoping that’s what I am supposed to do as opposed to frown and shake my head) and hope that they repeat themselves often enough that I can get the gist.

3 Likes

Sorry Jane, what is the difference between carte de resident and carte de séjour ?

Huge simplification, because France loves its complications. Anyway, think of it as “séjour” equals a stay of some specific period. A few months to a few years. “Resident” means you are permanently resident here and have extra protections against being asked to leave.

Which doesn’t mean that you aren’t a proper resident here with a carte de séjour, but just a slightly different kind of resident even tho’ you pay the same taxes!

Are the ‘extra protections’ defined anywhere, as would be really interesting to better understand the diffetence?

This is off the top of my head (after a cheerful evening), permanent residents don’t have to meet financial thresholds, can only be deported for serious crimes, and polygamy, and are here for as long as they want. Residents on a carte de séjour can stay AS LONG AS they continue meet the conditions, and their card can be removed for lessor reasons - meaning they have to leave.

Here:

3 Likes

As usual the devil is in the detail.

Brits who had lived in France for less than 5 years and who applied for a WA Carte de Sejour would have been issued with 5 years cards.

My understanding is that an application for a permanent card can only be made 2 months prior to the expiry of the 5 year card NOT when applicants reach their 5 year residency point.
I believe that the absence of a permanent card does not negate the rights acquired upon reaching the 5 year point.

So what might happen if an applicant applies for a permanent card after say 7 years residency but then fails any mandatory language requirement? Would they then lose the additional rights automatically gained at the 5 year point; be issued with a second 5 year card or lose all residency rights (i.e. have to leave France)???

This is precisely why, as I keep trying to say, this is unworkable for people with WARP cards. Because of the way the french government have chosen to do it you could have in theory have been a resident here almost 10 years when they finally give you a permanent card, and as you say, your permanent ‘situation’ and rights will have already started by default almost 5 years before. I could be entirely wrong, we shall see in 4 years time or whatever but it makes absolutely zero sense to me when people talk about income requirements or now language tests, in connection to anyone with a WARP card as the system is just not set up that way to be that specific. You could, if there was a delay, be here over 10 years before you were even issued a permanent WARP card for people who were in France over 5 years. If it’s anything other than a box ticking exercise to change from 5 to 10 they will have to change everything they’ve said and done up to now, and I just can’t see that happening, or them wanting the optics that would come with doing so.

1 Like

Remembering that there is another election in 5 years time there are of course no certainties.

However WARP’ists are unique as no other TCNs have the same benefits, so I imagine that approach will continue. At worst if you really can’t manage A2 French after living here for however long (!!! Cut off from humanity?) and don’t qualify for a medical exemption you will possibly just be required to do what other TCNs do and attend X hours of (free) compulsory french lessons.

Is that really so draconian?

3 Likes

I think there are non-discriminatory clauses in the WA and nowhere does it reference a language requirement. So think there is lots of assurance here, to the point of certainty?

And that said, free and compulsory language classes sounds just the job for madame - must investigate! :slight_smile:

Given that Covid is rampant it is draconian.

You wouldn’t have to kiss your fellow students! I just still wear a FPP2 mask if in a small space with people.

Might that also be a possibility for nationality… I have no problem with lessons… love 'em in fact… would thoroughly enjoy taking part… but exams … huh… my memory goes a blank… always has, always will as it’s the way my brain works…

For nationality you have to organise your own language learning. And the exams are obligatory, with cery few medical exemptions.

fair enough, that’s what I’d read so far… how I wish I’d applied years ago, before the exam thingy got put in place for folk of my age… :roll_eyes:

I was discussing this with new neighbours, while they enjoyed my orange cake. :+1: :wink:
They were adamant that France would not backtrack on its promises to the CdSWA folk…
as years are gained, exchanging for a “longer” carte should be straightforward with no new hoops to jump through (this is the “promise”).
Unfortunately, none is in the French govt, but they seemed convinced enough to satisfy me…

It’s ridiculous to think that France would impose a language test on anyone renewing their permanent WA CdS.

2 Likes

You say “ridiculous” but, sadly, there are folk truly concerned and feeling rather fragile about moving up the CdSWA chain …
even those who have their 10-year permanent resident - which will need renewing.
Reading and understanding French legal blurb can be confusing and the word “plurielle” being bandied about hasn’t helped… I’m being contacted by Brit folk/pals.

which is why I have been discussing the subject with French folk to try and get some clarification/support for my own view that “all will be well”. (they were chuffed at my faith in French Govt)