Is all this political talk damaging SFN?

There seems to be quite a bit of tension recently on the SFN with people nipping away at each other.

Should subjects like politics be avoided in the interests of forum harmony?

No Carl I didn’t, the Title, was the point, followed by your further comment and question. Therefore my previous reply today stands, because the topic came up again in today’s list of discussions, so I answered in light of other recent political events over last few months. Perhaps ADMIN either don’t mind political discussions or prefer they stop?

I don’t see a whole lot of other new Discussions recently, it has been the Holiday period anyway, or else members have gone underground in groups!

The French called them The Resistance! I prefer to be thought of as a Freedom Fighter and agree with Peters comment.

What would be the point of any public forum on whatever subject if viewpoints couldn't be freely exchanged ? We shouldn't dodge issues in the name of politese and PC surely ?

Je suis Charlie as long as it doesn't intentionally offend.

I think you missed my point.

Not if you are interested in protecting YOURS & ALL OUR EXPAT LONGTERM Democraticic rights in thé curent European polital and économic climate!!!

Interesting viewpoint.

https://urbantimes.co/2014/06/the-european-question-do-you-know-your-euro-advocates-from-your-eurosceptics/

There has and always will be an anti-EU element in every party. Worrying thing for the pro euros is the size of the UKIP vote.

I am not forgetting Roger, it would be gerrymandering of the worst sort, just like the Scottish referendum which denied the vote to Scots living outside Scotland.

There is also a movement to deny a vote to those living in the UK from the EU.

I have never felt so discriminated against since I moved to France!

I find it hard to think of a valid reason for an expat to vote to leave the EU. So it should be in the interest of any party (with the exception of UKIP) to allow us to take part in the referendum.

It appears, at least a report in the Indy last week was saying, is that the balance between those for and against expat participation is fairly equal. It is part of the manipulation of the vote by Europhobes in my opinion.

Jane, don't forget many Tory MPs do not want Expats to have a vote in any referendum. The Private Members' Bill attempt specifically excluded voters outside the UK. So, in addition to seeeking support for the abolition of the 15year rule, we also need no exclusion for Expats. Tory 'getouters' fear the Expat vote, and they will also oppose changes to the 15 year rule!

Yes I’ll be emailing mine before long, but as only UKIP MP, i don’t hold out too much hope of support, although given his current opinion on Farage and the party infighting that looks to be on its way, he may surprise me!

With all the other political goings on this last week, Jim Murphy resigning as Scottish Labour leader and having a go at Scottish union boss, I can see another Battle of Culloden a comin!

Any port in a storm Shirley !

Didn’t know you were gay!

Peter, Tried and failed, clicked on it, opened in a blank space with no way to copy! Must be this silly iPad again - not me this time.

:slight_smile:

No never had the bow, when it was longer ringlets!

I seem to remember that the UK found all sorts of excuses for not joining the Euro, though it would have suited a lot of business people. Commitment means joining in and making it work, not standing on the sidelines saying "I told you so!" America doesn't love us, they only need us to help legitimize their military adventures around the world. Our neighbors are in Europe and they want to be our friends. Why are we so suspicious of their motives?

Shirley, like you I regard myself as a British European. I don’t see Treaty changes being on the cards, but there are plenty of other points of view up for negotiation.

I have written to my newly elected Conservative MP to remind him of the promise to change the 15 year rule and that needs to be changed to enable those whom it affects the most to take part in any Referendum.

The problem for me regarding UK and the EEC/EU is the lack of committment. Maggie tried to negotiate a better deal and probably succeeded to a certain extent but UK governments haven't really ever felt a part of the EU instead preferring to live on the fringes thus not being able to take advantage of the full benefits like the French have always tried to do. The French seem to know how to 'milk' the system to get the most out of it and they are considered as europeans whereas the UK seem to be seen as almost part-timers aways wanting to retain their British identity. Nothing wrong with being British though it does seem to instill a sense of 'us and them' in the great european partnership.

The 'English' and 'British' thing isn't unique to France Shirley. I know American friends who have the same problem with the use of the national identification. They use the word England when they actually mean GB in general. I've even heard US politicians make the same error !