Is all this political talk damaging SFN?

I agree only to an extent Peter. Remember that the 15 year rule may be abolished this year, giving all British expats living in Europe the right to vote in the referendum.
I agree that the government of the day must decide what they want to try and change or negotiate and then word that in a sensible way for the British people to vote on if the re-negotiation and a new treaty is achieved by any one, however I am proud to be British and dont mind being regarded as a British European, but European only, definitely not! I can’t see any of the other European nationals from whichever country giving up that recognition either, just to be known only as European. I believe There are also too many historic, language and cultural differences for being’European’ only, to work europe-wide! The French I’ve met, themselves call anyone from any one of the GB & NI countries, English, just because that’s the language they speak.

Doreen, I remember a lovely smocked dress I had with a lilac pattern.

What 'plight' HJ ? Remember expats, for whatever reason chose to come here. That doesn't mean expats have to accept everything that's thrown at them but maybe it's the UK government who need to decide what they really want from the EU ? Successive UK governments have shyed away from total EU immersion so maybe they need to either integrate fully or pull out completely ? Become 'European ' or remain 'British'.

Urrmm definitely…a *********** NO from me!

I think it’s time to put the EU discussion under a different heading and get away from the GE? May even get some new ideas for a new expat group name!

Oh Jane I used that last night - I tried typing on this iPad saying hi Siri and to my amazement It worked fine, didn’t like French though I found out today, because I’ve set it up in English, even though it’s a French model and my location is France.
No quicker than typing, but at least the words are all spelt correctly cos I hadn’t miss hit a key when typing!

Sign me in!

Urrmm, except that that comes across as a ringing endorsement for everything the EU does & is currently......and nothing about us as ex-pats and our 'plight'........

Great idea

Did you also have to wear your hair in a bow on the side?
It was always slipping out as I remember.

It was Bill Clinton who allowed Government benefits to be included in income used to grant a mortgage. Also in the USA you could decide to walk away from a house you can no longer afford without the debt staying with you.
This was always going to be a recipe for disaster, but it should have remained a problem for the USA and not allowed to cause such problems for everyoe else.

Expat Union for the EU, then EU4EU acronym

As I was born in 40,s does that mean I can go in terry nappies, a frilly cotton bonnet and little chubby legs? And yes I’ve got the pic to prove it!

That started in USA as I recall. Freddie Mac & Fanny Mae names come to mind, they lent to USA homebuyers who couldn’t repay, so to offload the debt the 2 FM’s Went to the financial markets - and in UK - don’t remember now if it was lloyds/TSB, RBS, or another name (I think one of the banks NatWest took over was involved) also a Dutch Bank went pear shaped I think afterwards, but they bought heavily into te FM’s thinking they were going to make a bundle…the rest is History and the UK taxpayer paid for it. a family member worked at BoE at time and had several late nights and or early mornings working, while there were many meetings with other banks and HM Treasury officials I think, don’t remember all details now, not sure, so don’t quote me, but that’s why I followed the news with interest about the whole thing at the time. Only know she worked a lot, no other details ever came from her, confidentiality of course.

But an almost de-regulated UK banking system didn’t help At the time. many pundits said the BoE should have seen it coming. yes you are right about the size of the banks, too much money invested by them using their customers investments, hence the Tories said they must split, so that ,our’ money, held in retail banking accounts, was separated from investment banking divisions. Probably got exacts words wrong but you get the idea I hope! I’m just interested in Current Affairs.

See this contribution from Harry......just Fab !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LS37SNYjg8w

PhuwweerrrF,

No, not him....I've remembered now Leslie Howard !

"Perhaps we could all dress in 1940's costume and speak like Celia Johmson & what's his name ?"

ermm, Nigel Farage ?

Interesting...........has connotations to do with 'The 39 Steps'......terribly British....don't ya know !

Perhaps we could all dress in 1940's costume and speak like Celia Johnson & what's his name ?

(Didn't Harry Enfield have a go at that ?)

BUT YES, we do need a branding, something that makes us and 'the cause' stand out....The 'British' part of it & the 'National'...could be confused in some people's minds with both the National Front and The British National Party.....neither of which would be desirable !...but thanks for the contribution...

What about Expat Alliance ? Or Expat Sans Frontiers ?......any other suggestions ?

Hi Hilary,

Picture of top of Big Ben in London - can’t get more recognisably British than that -

B E N…British Expat Nationals… Yeas I know sounds naff…but it may start some trains of thought off!

SORRY,

That was my penultimate post for the next few days.....have left You tube running on in the background, whist i am working.....and I found this LSE lecture....about the historical problems there will be in being able to re-negotiate anything much......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzJg_1cCp1o

Doesn't appear to bode well for us being able to stay in...

A Bientot tout le monde !

It will probably be all speech recognition by then!