Is France Thinking itself Healthy?

Is France thinking itself healthy?

The other day my partner and I were sitting on our garden bench drinking our coffee when his phone beeped. It was a message from one of his friends.

Both he and his friend are volunteer firemen. Here in France, a mix of organizations provide emergency services all under public health control.

I asked him if any of his colleagues or surrounding departments have been called out for any CV (C Virus) cases. He said no, not that he knew of. In fact, he said that none of his colleagues had been called out.

‘For anything?’ I asked.

He replied, ‘no.’

This made me curious because pre CV whenever he was on call, there would be a call out. A case of a fallen tree, a person, falling in their home or at work, the occasional fire. All of which he would be used as ‘service a la personne.’

His role was to look after the individuals. And in most cases other than the ones I’ve explained previously. These were for respiratory issues.

Now here’s the odd thing.

Due to the CV, a lot of people are trying to avoid hospitals like the plague. I get it. Yet pre CV, as I mentioned above, he and his colleagues were called out regularly.

So what’s happened to the respiratory patients? There have been no emergency calls for either him nor his colleagues. Zero calls!

Which is great, of course.

Have the conditions of all the previous respiratory patients pre CV all of a sudden ‘disparu’?

I sincerely hope so for their sake.

Yet allow me to throw in a couple of case studies, and please consider the thought that most of us are at home now in quarantine.

There was an article in The Connexions magazine ‘French news and views’ that stated;

‘Accidents of daily life’ like falling downstairs kill 18,500 people a year, official figures show.’

A study showed that domestic accidents cause 11,500 deaths a year in France alone.

In Blighty (United Kingdom), an article in the Guardian dated 2014. Claimed homes and leisure pursuits now cause far more injuries and deaths – 1,000 per month, than car crashes and industrial accidents.

Of the 22 million people a year who attend A&E, about 7 million do so as a result of an accident. According to Mann, the president of the College of Emergency Medicine.

OK, now that’s enough of the doom and gloom, let’s move onto -
‘How France could quite possibly be thinking itself healthy.’

Well, do you recall when I said … 'Have the conditions of all the previous respiratory patients pre CV all of a sudden ‘disparu?’

Like I say, I hope so. Yet the question stuck in my mind; ‘Are people thinking themselves healthy?’

It reminds me of the work by Dr. Joe Dispenza on the placebo effect.
Open stage door left…

You may have already heard of his work, but if not, then here’s a short brief of his findings.

In his book ‘You are the Placebo’ he suggests that you can heal yourself by thought alone without drugs or surgery. His book shares countless cases documented by his studies, where patients with all kinds of illness have ‘thought’ themselves healthy.

He explores the history of the Placebo effect and shares scientific evidence showing the patient’s brain scans during the healing process. He covers not only the science behind his studies but also delves into hypnosis behaviors, and demystifies how the impossible can, in fact, become possible.

Is this quarantine having a ‘twilight effect’ on my mind?

Could the lines of communication be down, and hence the reason why my boyfriend’s fire department is not receiving any calls?

Could the individuals of France have moved into ground floor apartments of bungalows during the quarantine to remove the chance of falling downstairs?

That’s it!

I’ve now realized where all the toilet roll is going. People are wrapping themselves up like mummies to prevent injuries in the home. Well, OK, maybe that’s just me.

Or, could it be that people are, in fact, thinking themselves healthy?

Could be, but not if you fall off a ladder and break your neck. So maybe there are several things happening.
Respiratory conditions could have improved because air quality has improved during lockdown.
People may be eating better because they have more time to cook.
People taking “permitted” exercise may be actually doing more walking than previously.
But I think you are right about people being more careful. Every individual has their own “risk threshold.” “I drive at the correct speed - other drivers are either incompetent or maniacs.” If we are confident that someone will put us back together our risk threshold becomes higher. It could be argued that seat belts and airbags make drivers more careless, because they make crashes survivable. They would be more careful if there was a spike in the middle of the steering wheel!
But obviously there is a lot to be learned and it is a fascinating field of study. There is a Nobel prize waiting for someone!

1 Like

Hi Mike, I wrote this post for a site at the start of the lockdown and came across it recently so I thought I would share it here. It’s certainly an interesting phenomena even today as my partner whilst on call still has not had to go on duty. Maybe all the things you suggested are the case. Would be a lovely positive outcome indeed from a very odd situation.
Hmmm an interesting idea indeed having a spike in the middle of the steering wheel. It never ceases to amaze me how crazy some drivers are and even more so it makes me laugh how they give ‘that glance’ of disapproval as I drive the speed limit whilst they overtake at 30km +.
The other day I had a delivery driver come at such speed behind me that I was compelled to pull over and let him pass. I thought it was a matter of urgency. Yet as he took a right and I straight ahead. I came behind his stationary van in the middle of the road at the other end of the fork. Turns out he was just driving his usual fast speed whilst getting lost on his merry way wearing his mask and gloves.
Hey ho… at least our beautiful planet is getting the chance to heal herself.
Thank you for taking the time to read and comment Mike. Have a healthy rest of your weekend.

1 Like

In our commune people are encouraged not to use chainsaws, and particularly stand on wobbly ladders with them. That sort of care plus many fewer km driven would account for quite a few cases. And yes domestic attacks have risen, but perhaps those rarely need respiratory support?

But I have read that there is a concern that people aren’t called put or going to medical services when they should do. Like a nearby neighbour who currently has duct tape round his hand holding together a rather nasty cut that I feel would be better stitched.

Precaution is a better antidode all round for sure. Fear is feeding many situations that otherwise would not arise. Media is not offering both sides of the coin. There are a lot of negative sides to this and there are a lot of positive. Communities all over the world are pulling together to assist those that are weaker. Taking good care of our health, nutrition and our minds. However, this does not help your neighbour. I hope that he finds the courage to get the right help. If we feed the fear it will win.

1 Like

In his case it’s not fear, just can’t be bothered to jump through hoops to see a doctor! Far too macho…

Shame I hope he gets better soon. Did you know that putting honey on a cut is one of the best healing agents there is? Maybe he would do that?