Is it Legal that Bank asks me (AE) for Chiffre D'affaire and my Tax Declaration?

Well then t'was bad luck!! All the banks & agencies i have encountered here have been competent, useful and informed!!! Yes here in France ;-)

James forgot the PIN number for his French bank card. Took over a week and several emails for them to agree to issue a new card and PIN number. Initially they wanted to charge for this service and even when he eventually got the card, there was no provision to change the number to one of his own choice.

He lost his Number 24 card last Saturday afternoon. Emailed straight away and a new card arrived on Monday morning. Oh yeah, and he could change the number! Enough said....

I have tried to Google Number 24 bank without success - any clues please?

Banks can ask for you to provide a copy of your tax return. I've had to provide one for every mortgage I've taken out. Banks may be often incompetent in France (don't I know it....) but they can also be very strict when it comes to documentation.

My OH's conseilleur

When opening a business account he was incredulous, for a small amount like that why do you register as autoentrepeneur and declare it, just do it in cash was his advice

try number 26 ;-)

Thanks Andrew!

Number 26 link here

No cheque book!

I opened an account with a French bank last year and although it states on their website you get a cheque book they refused me one. When I asked 'why' I was told 'because'. I e-mailed the bank and visited the bank numerous times. One man appeared to be going to arrange for a cheque book then a colleague spotted him and he came back and said I was not entitled to one.

My friend said eventually their excuse appeared to be that I do not have my pensions paid into my French account as I intend to return to the UK. Periodically however, I transfer sizeable amounts of money and there is normally more money in my French account than if my pensions were paid indirectly. Nobody else I know has been refused a cheque book by any French bank. I HAVE NEVER BEEN OVERDRAWN IN THE UK OR FRANCE so that is not the reason. Is there anything I can do about it. Sometimes my friend has to write a cheque for me and I have to give her the cash.

I do not run a business - it is a simple personal account.

I have to say that my bank has been super completely professional and competent and very helpful. Maybe it's just this branch but I can't fault it. Bank Tarneaud St Yrieix la Perche.

Thanks to all for your help!

Ivan, if you are a registered AE, you need to transfer your earnings to an account which has been opened for this purpose only. You do NOT need to get a cheque book or debit card on this account and can simply use it to transfer funds to your regular account. If you don't do this, the bank can treat you as an SARL. Banks do ask for justifications such as tax returns and so on, not only are they allowed to, but it is mandatory if any income, however small, cannot be accounted for. Most of the time, they start getting nervous over 1,000.

I don't know if French banks are less competent than UK banks, but I have dealt with numerous banks here and abroad and I have to say that they are better than the Russians and the Germans, and much more polite too!

Ivan

The best thing to do is to answer the bank's invitation positively. Go to meet your "advisor", explain what you do in life, and then ask him for a big loan or an unlimited overdraft. He/she will panic and do their best to finish the meeting. Their job is to sell you insurance, investment opportunities and other 'services'. As soon as you ask for money they don't want to know you. Show them no paperwork - accounts, tax returns, whatever - until they have agreed to a big loan: they won't.

I banked with Soc Gen in the eighties, a more incompetent, arrogant bunch of over dressed and overpaid bankers one couldn't meet. I've been with my local HSBC (old CCF) since 2004 and they have been excellent.

A cheque book can easily be refused to you, especially if you do not have regular income. I'm surprised you don't know anybody who has been turned down, I know plenty! Not being overdrawn isn't a big plus point in France, maybe it is in the UK?

I have an ordinary bank account with Bred and I'm employed, yet received a letter 4 months ago requesting copies of my salary, a copy of my passport and my tax returns. I told them to mind their own business.

LOL, funniest response ever.
Last year I ended up screaming to a bank lady... telling her I DON"T WANT A CREDIT and now you suggest I should do the opposite.

Make sense with the current rate BANKS are freaking paranoid about any loans.

Good way and did you managed to stay with this bank?

Marie-Claire, I have TWO accounts one PRO and one PERSONAL, all professional and AE related transaction enter my professional account and are then transferred to my Personal.

I have never heard that AE have had to spend time with such formalities. The whole thing about setting up a AE is that you can .... -> Run it faster, smoother, with less formalities.