Is it possible to "Modernise"an Address?

We are several k from the centre of our village. We are at one extreme of our commune and for both parts of our hamlet you have to know in which part the house you want sits in.

All these ideas come from central government where everything is numbered.

My heart bleeds for them.

Doesn’t or didn’t work if ordering from the Internet if one of the obligatory fields is house / street N°, probably the same for a lot of large buildings.

When they’re posted overseas working hard for British interests they do alright I wouldn’t worry to much:sunglasses: :wink:

Have you considered using the “what3words” system to describe your address.
Visit https://what3words.com/tempts.search.aged and you will be looking at the 3metre map square where my front door is situated.
Find the square identified as “shoebox.mongrels.arranged” and you will be looking at my barn.

The app divides up the entire world into 3metre squares, and gives each square it’s own unique sequence of 3 english words that indicate the exact position.
Download the free app to your phone and you will always be able to tell the emergency services exactly where you are to the nearest 3 metres regardless of what country in the world you may be in.
The system is used in Mongolia for postal addresses because not only do they not have house numbers, they don’t have road names either !
So go to “flipper.post.strong” the next time you are in Paris and you will be in the middle of Place de la Concorde.
Use What3words and you will never be lost again, and you will always be able to find even the most remote and isolated location.

2 Likes

I do not know if La Poste, DPD or GLS would recognise hems.caskets.pixels as an address. GLS struggled to recognise the address of their own Point Relai!
If I have to order anything from Mongolia I will give it a try.

I was thinking more of finding an official way to get my address changed to have a number and street name.

1 Like

I don’t think you can personally do it, have a word at your maire to see if it has been, or will be discussed, or maybe at the post office.

We have been talking about this in our commune (no numbers, road names, just the “bourg” and 17 hamlets, and a few isolated properties, mine included) for a while now. La poste want to use a "metric " system for the more isolated houses, I.e. the number of metres from a set point.

1 Like

We live on a track where there is one other house, on the opposite side of the road.
Our house bears the name of the track.
We are number 2, the other house, number 1.
This is new, six months or so.
The numbering system in the hamlet is ‘random’ to say the least - a plethora of 1’s & 2’s with the occasional 3.
So French.

1 Like

One slight problem with the what3words system is that you using the English version will have shoebox, mongrels, arranged to describe the place by your barn but a French delivery firm using the French version will be given three different, unrelated words. You would both have to use the same language; presumably French.

I chose ****** fromagerie frelon from a host of options including tremblement and gamme. Very French, I thought. :hugs:

You just have to fill in the fields on the order form.
La Poste does the rest!

Therein lies the problem. Many websites make the house number a compulsory field.
GLS refuse to deliver because there is no “complement d’addresse”.
Using a system of 3 random words to pinpoint a place is clever but a gimmick. There are already 2 ststems that are to bally recognised, latitude/longitude and GPS coordinates. However, they are not currently part of an addressing convention. Maybe I should add GPS coordinates into the “complement” field and the number 000 in housr number?

1 Like

I live in a Lieu-Dit. On on_line forms where house numbers are required I give “0”. The Marie has recently given road names everywhere, but delivery people don’t know them (post is fine)
Even with specific directions given when called for the “on my way” call, they frequently simply don’t bother to arrive.
I’ve tried putting GPS co-ordinates in the supplemental info boxes to no avail.
We even had one that called, got full instructions, had co_ordinates, and still went off - entering in the tracking system “no_one at home”
We now use the point relais system. One of the managers at a relais said that most of the vollages are “too far off” for the delivery drivers to bother doing their job.
Basically, there is no problem with the address, rather the drivers.

My address has been a sore point since I moved here in April. The village was combined with two others a couple of years ago to form a new commune. We’ve had house numbers for some time judging by the age of the numbers on the wall.

A surprising number of companies have problems if your address doesn’t show up on their database, correct though it may be. Orange for one. La Poste and most delivery companies seem to be able to find me with a house number, street name, village, commune and postcode. But DPD found it such an enigma that I had them deliver my parcel to a drop-off point some distance away after a month of confusion. The Royal British Legion computer couldn’t manage my change of address and we agreed on a vague compromise that their system understood. Mind you, they added the name of a village several miles away to the label on the latest copy of their magazine. Must call them about that. God bless La Poste.

l lived in one of five nearby roads all bearing the same name until la Poste in their wisdom decided to give us all house numbers and different street names. Ever since, deliveries have been a nightmare. lf only they’d thought to let Google Earth know!

I live literally in the middle of nowhere, 1.1 km up an unmade track through the forest with just a house name and commune, post code. Surprisingly its rare that we have problems with deliveries, even DPD. I had a council meeting last night and the "numerorotation " is in it’s final stages when everyone in our commune will get a number and road name. Mine will be 1164 chemin de Sansonneche, but we can still use the lieu-ditto if we like.

Rather jokingly I asked if someone was going to update the GPS maps with all this new info (our track isn’t on any GPS map), “bien sur Marc, mais il serai un bordel” can’t wait…:persevere:

Google maps does have a feature to flag an error or mismatch. It does work too, after a while.

1 Like

I believe La Poste is insisting that every address has a number and name. This past month, every home in my commune has been issued with a notification of their new address. The road names are largely descriptive, Route de la …, Impasse de la …, etc and the numbers are based on the number of metres from the designation point. So, for example, I am no. 22 as I am 22 metres from the edge of the bourg - even though I am the first house. This is to allow for infills. These new numbers and names will officially come into effect from 1 January and are not yet on the databases for delivery companies, etc, but I have already found it to be useful when describing where I am to drivers who get as far as the town and then give us as the address is ‘incomplete’. You may find that there are plans afoot to institute the same practice where you live.

1 Like

@Jackie, it would be handy if they did that here .
Maybe I should measure the distance from the start of our lane and use that as my house number when someone insists. It wouldn’t help in the neighbouring hameau. There, they have a crossroads right in the centre. All roads from that crossroads are named the same. That would create a few houses with the same number…

For Amazon deliveries, I think you can put GPS coordinates in notes field of address.