Is "turning tables" bad business in France?

On Monday we went to the Abbaye de la Bussiere in the Ouche valley of the Cote d’or. We had a wonderful server and then found out that he had only been there for a week! Of course this is a Michelin star restaurant in a wonderful hotel, but it is owned and run by an English couple, Clive and Tanith Cummings.
In Mazille, a nearby village, we have L’Estaminet where we have the wonderful Jeremy who is always helpful and where he and Cedrik, the chef, have created a welcoming atmosphere.
This is not an expensive restaurant, so the answer is attitude and having pride in your work which then overspills into customer service.

Of course not Barbara- but some local restaurants round here are open under half the meal times they could be open. In terms of the continuing running costs that's a hard one to get round. Therefore they have to make more profit each time that they are actually open. In fact local restaurants round here have closed at a steady rate over recent years. As somebody else posted they often seem to be minimalist affairs with sometimes only a couple running and making one would imagine a very basic living. Could not special events be organised such as tutored wine tastings with snack food, tutored cooking lessons, musical evenings (have to pay music licence I know), shorter menus so you don't have to go for the four course ouvrier etc. I often feel I would go out more if I felt less skinned alive when I do! Years ago I used to have a restaurant meal daily, now it's a special occasion. Unfortunately I remember places like the Stockpot in Basil St (2 course 50p), Bistro Vino, Bistro d'Agran and others which were not so intimidating and you weren't paying at least half the cost for fancy decorations, fresh flowers, uniforms, website, corporate image, Trip Advisor subscriptions etc accountants fees etc before you even had a portion controlled plate of food piled up in a central tower to look like it's more than it is. How can you get away with serving two or three miniscule potatoes with a steak half the size you would cook at home? BTW the Stockpot and the various bistros were I think open at all meal times. Our flat kitchen was not much used!

So David is it your idea that a restaurant needs to be open at all times

even if they know that they will not get customers?

Restaurants are not in any shape or form like the business of an office which

can receive commands and enquiries by distant communication ie e mail or phone.

What sensible operator will have staff and food waiting around for the occassional

party of 2 to arrive for a tete a tete over three courses?

It is far better to conserve energy, provisions and salaries to create a good performance.

Cleaning, serving, shopping and cooking require physical efforts.

I'm sure you are right Barbara. As architects and especially since the arrival of computers many of our clients used to think we just switched on a computer and out pops a design. In our profession time spent before even starting to design and especially before starting construction was well rewarded. The cost of regulation and inspection etc has meant that many restaurants are tempted into using shortcuts, smaller portions etc. I honestly can't see how any business can turn an annual profit these days if they are closed so much, for whatever reason. One thing I do think that is much better than it used to be is pub food in the UK, which often stands very well or better in comparison to many restaurants in France and the service is frequently less sullen too. The system in France seems typified by a local bar near here who was fined 12000 euros for having undeclared labour on when raided by the fisc on the one day perhaps ever that the Tour de France passed his establishment.

The restaurant business is a very precise balancing act which has so

many considerations to take in....PROBABLY more than any other business.

Many of you may contest this statement but I will stand by my words....

the restaurant business needs PR, marketing and working within the laws which

govern. That means planning, provision of quality and an element of theatre.

If there is not enough provision for adequate number of covers survival is not possible.

Great consideration for the clients enjoyment goes far beyond the quality of

ingredients and the perfection of the cooking. There has to be other seasons to sit

in a dining room......feeling welcome, charming staff and an interesting

atmosphere. All this has to be price related and viewed by the right sector

of clientel.

A restauranter is an Artisan in their own right.

It seems that most people do not understand the restaurant business!

Much of the work before and after opening the door to clients is not

just about a simple tidy up and thinking of ordering!

It is about extensive preparation.....yes part of the business process in

operating a business. But even more so, and just as important is the cleaning

of a kitchen an dining room....AND probably catching up on the saucepan, plates

and scores of drinking glasses.

So, when the clients leave there is often an hour or so before anyone can thinking of

going home.

This is not a complaint but possibly something of a consideration which

doers not enter a non caterers mind.

I'm with you all the way on this Deborah. I have forgotten the amount of times we have gone out here as a large group and towards the end of the meal you cannot get another drink. You go from politely asking to arm waving to whistles to going up and speaking to the manager to flipping them the bird and walking out.

I would not have normally condoned such behaviour but I have been here 11 years now and it has become a bit of a standing joke when I go out and about with customers

Last year a group of Us (maybe 10 people) left a restaurant without paying. 2 or 3 drinks each and a meal and we just could not get a bill. Hell, I remember even taking the tip back off the table before we left.

We did not exactly 'do a runner' as we set up camp in the bar over the road and had a drink there just in case the guy wanted paying but to no avail.

5 times a year there is a Wednesday night festival up the road from Us and we go up there armed with the whole building in a convoy of accessible vans and cars and up to 30 people. It is a running joke now that we all take bags of booze along because if you fancied getting half-cut at these things you are wasting your time.

On a good night you might be able to get 5 small beers out of these idiots over a 4 hour period when what we want is 15 each.

It does not matter which bar or restaurant you go to the result is always the same... wait, wait, wait, wait.

The only only people to profit from my guests at these do's is Lidls.

They MAY be in business and they MAY be short on staff but hey, guess what, SO AM I. When I take customers out for a meal I do not want to hear their excuses for a shoddy service. I have to provide a good service and so should they if they want to make any money.

Just my 10 pence worth :)

Part of the problem seems to be the 35 hour week, which restricts commercial activity. Lunch is served in our village restaurant from 12 sharp until about 1.45, usually Mondays to Saturday inclusive. Sunday the finish is later, especially in the event of a large group which could last until 5 or 6. Never open in the evenings on Monday to Thursday or Sunday except in the month of August. Hardly ever see a table "turned". Service tends to be pretty "agricultural" even with 45 euro menus. Hardly any wines under 22 euros. Wine is opened then plonked down on the table in front of you without tasting offered even if it costs 50 euros the bottle. There can be an appreciable gap between courses especially if the ouvriers are in as they get priority. These things have been remarked on in Trip Advisor. Yet nobody can become a server in France unless they go on a course- what on earth do they teach them? Oh yes and I should mention that the restaurant, which is well known in the area, closes down for about four weeks a year. The entire staff stand in a gaggle outside the restaurant between 1150 and 1157 puffing away on their ciggies. One says nothing because any comments by "etrangers" are met with scorn. It's a good restaurant though!

Please don't introduce this ghastly practice to France. UK restaurants are doing this now all the time. You can have a table between eight and nine and then we want you out the door. Truly uncivilised. If you're lucky you may be allowed to take it in reception. Awful.

Deborah, it IS al about a way of life, and it is hard for us City people to adjust to it - and I have been here for more years than I care to remember. I still get irritated when the shops close at lunchtime or for two hours, but I would get even more irritated if I was crushed and rushed in a restaurant trying to get a living from one hour's trade. So depends on which side of the fence you are on.

On the other hand and as a general rule service standards are not great in France including follow-ups. Getting a quote for a job is hard enough, then getting someone to actually meet the agreed time and date to do the work is something else. After a while you learn to accept it, and take the pressure off yourself as well.

The years I spent teaching and promoting Customer Service and maximising 'downtimes' in all sorts of businesses - not only retail but transportation, cinema entries etc., to cover overheads and not make direct profits worked in almost every other country but I don't see much evidence of it here.

That's France, and as it does go with a slower pace - and as you correctly said it is 'work to live' here and not the other way around. I read something just the other day that the French (yet again) have the lowest rate of cardiac arrests in the world (at least in Europe) and I wonder if this has something to do with it - apart from my own favorite health regime which comes dark red and in bottles!

No good speaking to Flanby, Jane, he's not listening and hasn't for a long time :-(

We closed the shop and went to our local restaurant last night, had the usual meal with OH and the kids, chatted with the owner and other customers that we know (our customers too!). Someone we know came in at 21h18 yes I remember because we had a chat about what happened as a result of the time - no they couldn't eat (family of 5) as it was too late. Now that wouldn't happen in the US either, I'm sure, but as we were paid up and out of the resto by 10 and the last client to leave, the resto could close and so avoid having to stay on another half and hour or even an hour for not a great deal more money (when you consider the owner and his two staff). As Vic said, It's France - c'est comme ça et il vaut mieux que ça reste comme ça ! FYI I'd turned people away from my tabac at the end of a very busy 13 hour day because it was time to close and no I wanted to go home and see my family rather than selling yet another packet of fags for a few centimes profit!

The reason is that it costs so much to employ just another person, that is why there are s many family only restaurants here in France.

Speak to Mr Hollande.