Is Xenophobia on the rise post Brexit?

errrr... such rights are not conferred on the Maire. They can't even approve local planning applications these days.

But the sentiment is there Graham, that's something surely.

Not too dissimilar to the promise of an extra £350m per week to fund the NHS promised by Boris et al on leaving the EU then Caroline.

The sentiment was there after all, but the reality is something was offered that could in no way be delivered on.

We know that, you have to apply to the Prefecture. It was a gesture of friendship and that we are valued members of our village.

Caroline, you are right. It was a friendly gesture. Perhaps Graham doesn't get any so he can't recognise it when one comes along?

How rude Jane.

I can now see why you are in the hospitality business...

I think it is just that you have been a bit negative on this thread Graham, whilst others prefer to hope for the best. Personally I don't think Brexit will ever happen, they can't afford the bills without us. Maybe now we will get a decent deal. There are already moves in this direction, even on immigration. Just have to wait and see.

Prey tell where I have been negative on this thread Caroline?

I only made one post

For your information, I too don't think Brexit (whatever that actually means) will happen either and have said so elsewhere in these forums.

Tell you what, I'm out of here. I'll leave the bigots to debate this amonst themselves

The French here in the Valserine were surprised at the result of the Referendum, but many, and not just close friends, have take the trouble to write or speak to us saying we are their friends and will always be welcome here. We assure them we have no intention of living back in the UK, and will consider applying for French citizenship if need be. Perhaps we are particuarly lucky here, we are the only English in the village. If we lived in, say, Morzine where friends with relatives there are horrified by the number and range of "English" shops and the size of the non-French speaking UK community, then we might be less welcome. I think it is up to all of us to make a special effort to reassure every French person we know that the Brits don't seek to set up little England in their country, nor to make life difficult for France or the French. Brexit (in one form or other) will happen, like it or not, and all concerned have to make the most of the opportunities which arise.

I have no doubt that Brexit will happen nor that it will not be the disaster so many here continue to predict. So far very little of the predicted adverse outcomes have emerged. The pound is a little weaker - good for some, not so good for others, but its still well above a couple of years ago when the sky didn't fall in (and that was nothing to do with Brexit!)

Common sense is emerging and the reality is being accepted by many of the leaders of EU countries.

No one who lives in the EU should be worried about the future. They are a valuable "export" for their host countries. Their income is largely derived from outside the country and they pay taxes and spend money in it. Their "demands" on the local economy (health care etc) are met by the UK (assuming the bills get sent in). UK citizens have had holiday homes in France for decades, well before the EU. They have generally been welcomed and there is no reason why this should change. Just because UK is leaving the EU does not mean it will cease to trade or co-operate with EU countries or vice versa.

The EU is in deep trouble and while Brexit may cause some short term problems it may also be the stimulus the EU badly needed to review the way it is run and does business. If this is effectively managed (and assuming the € crisis and the Italian banks can be sorted out - a big assumption I accept) then it could emerge stronger and better able to deliver its aims and aspirations.

Change is part of life and brings opportunities as well as problems.

Problems are not reasons not to do things that are sensible they are matters to be resolved so that progress can continue.

Let's hope the silliness and unpleasantness that has emerged during the "debate" will now fade away and intelligent discussion can resume. Why people had to fall out over this escapes me. Democracy is about discussion, argument (but not fighting or denigrating those with a different point of view) and ultimately accepting the decision of the majority. Some you win, some you lose. I do not fear for the future for me, for my kids or their kids.

I don't think it is just symbolic gesture for the following reason.

I lived in the department of L'Ain (01) many years ago in a small village pop 800 and imported a car. There were problems getting it registered because I needed a type approval and this was not unobtainable. I went to the Mairie for advice. The lady there told me that the Mayor had connection with a member of the department legislature and therefore could progress issues like this with the prefecture. A week later I received an appointment with the local Service des Mines to test the car ie that it had 4 wheels, that the brakes, lights, windscreen wipers worked and so I was able to get it registered.

I suspect your mayor has some influence if he wants to use it and certainly the fact you have community support can't hurt your case, so I suggest you take him at his word.

Howard, our Mayor is a friend of ours with a wicked sense of humour. Obviously, should we wish to go down that route his support would be useful. However, we think we will wait to see the outcome of the French election next year before considering that.

Very well put....I have a sense of relief about the whole thing, despite the drop in currency and continued predictions of disaster......and you have my wholehearted agreement....Let's focus on making it work (well)...

Hilary, You seem to spend more time thinking about the UK than your life in France. In my (not so little) enclave there are only French people and none of them give a damn what the UK does. The last thing we who have escaped should be doing IMO is taking anything but an adademic interest in the sad decline of GB.

Now, what will I do this week in the mid thirties while it pisses down in London :-)

650x366_07251500_page-2.jpg

Very sensible reactions all round Debra.

No Graham, A mayor voicing solidarity with his constituents is honorable. The lies that Boris, Farage and the slimy Gove told will scupper a nation. Seen the latest leading ecnomic indicators? The UK is in difficulties and IMO this is not going to be pretty. Which is not good for our family and friends there. Sooner they find some face saving pretext to reverse this madness the better.

Can't open the jpg, so I am none the wiser.....

I am very much in contact with friends and ex-colleagues in the UK and, of course, family..

I have mainly French neighbours but there are under half a dozen households originally from the UK and a few French/English mixed......so there is some interest....

I feel there is so much News with a capital 'N' at the moment, that I dont see how one could fail to be interested and concerned to some degree....and I'm betting any 'sad decline' wont last for long...

i live quietly & frugally, but I have plenty to do here and it is sometimes difficult to decide which' plate to spin' next.....when it next hots up I have (luckily), carte blanche to make use of my French neighbours pool.....'C'est la Vie'.....

Jane, it's up to you, of course, but if Marine wins or comes close next year, then Frexit could be on the cards, which would surely weaken your position, unless you were a citizen.

Howard, the other possibility is to have a Carte de Sejour with a permanent right to remain. A much less bureaucratic option.

I agree - well said, Michael.

Because the 'leavers' in this referendum haven't been abusively vocal all over the place since the vote, it's been assumed that the democratic votes of the majority can somehow be undone, overlooked, side-lined by stealth, etc, etc....Don't confuse us 'leavers' not crowing from the rooftops as apathetic at the result. And don't also assume that any real attempts to undo it won't be fought tooth and nail for re-instatement of the Brexit plan. This vote was thoroughly thought out and acted on by both sides, and the issues concerning it have recently, if anything, hardened the debate for some as regards immigration concerns (although in our house it was a return to democracy for UK as the urgent issue). The sooner the losing side accept that democracy will prevail we can all calm down and see in a true light what has occured, what is still occurring, and the brighter future that will prevail for UK....perhaps it does need a reminder that this was a vote pertaining to UK, not the perceived best interests of the tiny minority of us ex-pats....