It’s all over, IMO at 148 he’s stuffed 🙂

when you take away the “payroll” vote, he lost significantly.
The electorate will not be best pleased.

1 Like

Difficult when he and his pals called for May to go after she got a better result. Wooster-Mogg was hilarious earlier saying that he, personally, had been wrong to call for May to resign based on her result and that a win, by even one vote was a win. They really are taking the Mickey.

7 Likes

Does that mean the UK’s now stuck with him for another year?

Theoretically, but a vote like that means he’s doomed. Remember there’s the by-election disasters just around the corner.

If that was the BBC interview outside Parliament earlier in the day, I saw it too. It was hilarious. He seemed to get into such a tangle he had to leave quickly as the interviewer was basically manoeuvring him into saying that Tory supporters were idiots in a discussion about polls.

1 Like

No, it was the CH4 version I saw, but to much the same effect.

Plagiarised from the New Statesman…

"If you rescale the size of the respective rebellions against each of those leaders to match the size of the Tory party today, 121 rebels tonight would match the size of the rebellion against Major, 133 would match the vote against May, and 147 would equal the putsch against Thatcher.

May and Thatcher were both forced to resign shortly thereafter – May announced her resignation within six months; Thatcher within 48 hours. Major clung on until the 1997 general election, an outcome no Tory MP can look back on creditably: the party lost 178 MPs of its 343 MPs."

Do the remainder of even more stupid or pocket lining at our expense b’stds of the conservative party not smell the coffee grounds?

The longer Johnson stays in No.10 the less chance there is that the Tories will win the next GE as a change in government is ultimately what the country needs.

That would assume that they are still MPs through a sense of duty to their constituents and not for the power and money.

As we saw with the Lib Dems in 2010, these people throw their principles and policies out of the window to get a place at the Westminster trough.

2 Likes

Driven mainly by a narcistic ego.

I’m a bit dosappointed by the result - I thought the margin would be narrower, but as @billybutcher mentioned yesterday, the 1922 committee can change the 12 months rule to 6 months if it wanted.

How many resignations and promotions will we see today?

Apparently they are seriously pushing out the message that Johnson did *better* in the VONC than he did against Hunt in the leadership election.

It seems that apples to orang utans comparisons are OK as long as you can use them to deliver a warped view of reality.

1 Like

Lies, more lies and statistics

This is what Sud ouest had to say,
“Le chat aux neuf vies de plus en plus précaires“

2 Likes

I like that, took me a few moments, but I got there. :smiley:

Despite Johnson’s shameless, brass neck tenacity I’m feeling quite laidback about the whole thing today. Not the instant defenestration I’d hoped for but he’s only hanging on to the window ledge by his fingernails.

If the by-elections don’t spook the horses or the lying to Parliament enquiry then legal challenges against the “Rwanda solution” or the impending blow up of the NIP or some other of his and his hanger-ons bat crazy policies will. I’d say by conference time at the latest he’ll be toast. I’m looking forward to the ensuing purge.

The most important thing IMO is limiting the damage he does flailing around between now and his exit.

Andrew Brigden, of all people, said this - it’s not often I find myself thinking he has said something plausible but he seems to have managed it this time.

Whether Johnson will go, or literally have to be dragged out remains to be seen but I think his days are truly numbered.

The problem then is succession - there is a dearth of suitable candidates.

2 Likes

The problem is that the remaining talent in the HoC makes The Wrong Milliband look like Churchill.

1 Like